Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Victoria Cup moved from The Summer Of Glory program

Hybrid View

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Victoria Cup moved from The Summer Of Glory program

It was expected that the Summer program was going to be made a little less crowded and now the Vic Cup will be run mid October. The reduction in prizemoney from $400k to $200k is an almighty whack but I did say that David Martin is guaranteed to balance the books

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...run-in-October
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    Reduction in prize money Group races may could lead to recession in New Zealand

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Just a slight reduction in prizemoney so not to take the gloss off other Grand Circuit events. Like 100% reduction.

Don't know David Martin but my betting is, as a boy, he had a poster of Malcolm Turnbull on his bedroom wall. A classic example of rubbish spin that just demonstrates HRV is in trouble and assumes its clientele are a bunch of mugs.

And, if nobody challenges him, we are!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trevor, if you are near Shep or Mildura, they are the last couple of chances to hear DM's presentation. At Stawell he listened and noted all questions/comments, I don't think there were any mugs in the room, plenty of people wanted to hear a different story and would like to have been more vocal but simply could not argue with the figures (he has inherited)

It was suggested that Gp 1 stake money could be reduced (for more $7k and $5k races instead of $3k) and even though he mentioned the change coming for the Vic Cup, he said that we have to have the carrot/dream of the Big races - he does not want to reduce prizemoney. For the present he is first and foremost an accountant trying to right the ship - this has included a reduction in HRV expenses
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Just a slight reduction in prizemoney so not to take the gloss off other Grand Circuit events. Like 100% reduction.

Don't know ***** ****** but my betting is, as a boy, he had a poster of Malcolm Turnbull on his bedroom wall. A classic example of rubbish spin that just demonstrates HRV is in trouble and assumes its clientele are a bunch of mugs.

And, if nobody challenges him, we are!
    As the CEO of an organisation Mr Martin will be acting with the knowledge and support of a board. As has been the policy of the Forum NO such personal attacks will be tolerated on any of the Forum boards. Have your say on the issue but leave the personalities out.
    Mod

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    As the CEO of an organisation Mr Martin will be acting with the knowledge and support of a board. As has been the policy of the Forum NO such personal attacks will be tolerated on any of the Forum boards. Have your say on the issue but leave the personalities out.
    Mod
    Attacks? You are kidding me. That is my frustrated comment about how the new broom is sweeping the industry.

Of course ***** ****** , as CEO, is just spreading the word on what the Board has decided. Tell me, TC, where the positives are - I cannot see any.

If cutting a premier race's stake money in half to maintain base stakes at levels they were some years ago then the industry is in real trouble.

And Kev, I am in the polar opposite direction geographically to where the CEO has taken his road shows. Not an option so I must trust what I read. And what I read in the media release is the old pea and thimble trick - except there is no pea!

And, TC, I only compared the man to the Prime Minister of Australia. I did not name a pig after him; don't know the man and understand he is just the hired gun. But if announcing the moving the Victoria Cup to October for half the stakes as if it is a positive is a big stretch. Might as well as shifted the Kilmore Cup back to its traditional date and left the Victoria Cup well alone.

Successive Boards in Victoria have taken great delight in ruining the history of the sport over the past three decades by chopping and changing the dates and status of races such as the Hunter Cup (remember the A G Hunter Memorial - all $25,000 of it?) and the Winfield / Vic Health / Victoria Cup. In the process, the sport has lost its following.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Attacks? You are kidding me. That is my frustrated comment about how the new broom is sweeping the industry.

Of course ***** ****** , as CEO, is just spreading the word on what the Board has decided. Tell me, TC, where the positives are - I cannot see any.

If cutting a premier race's stake money in half to maintain base stakes at levels they were some years ago then the industry is in real trouble.

And Kev, I am in the polar opposite direction geographically to where the CEO has taken his road shows. Not an option so I must trust what I read. And what I read in the media release is the old pea and thimble trick - except there is no pea!

And, TC, I only compared the man to the Prime Minister of Australia. I did not name a pig after him; don't know the man and understand he is just the hired gun. But if announcing the moving the Victoria Cup to October for half the stakes as if it is a positive is a big stretch. Might as well as shifted the Kilmore Cup back to its traditional date and left the Victoria Cup well alone.

Successive Boards in Victoria have taken great delight in ruining the history of the sport over the past three decades by chopping and changing the dates and status of races such as the Hunter Cup (remember the A G Hunter Memorial - all $25,000 of it?) and the Winfield / Vic Health / Victoria Cup. In the process, the sport has lost its following.
    Attack or show your frustration with the policy.
    Attack or show your frustration with the organisation.

You cannot attack individuals for the rights or wrongs as you feel fit of a policy or organisation.
    Harnesslink is not going to get involved in issues of defamation. That is why there are rules to this forum to which you agreed to abide when you signed on.
    Your comparison is clear for all to see within the substance of the post. Defamatory comments by insinuation or innuendo is still defamatory.
    Like I say. Feel free to discuss, attack, or show your frustration re the ISSUE but leave the individuals out of it.

We have been down this path many times. (In fact it is so long ago I can't remember the last time. I should thank and congratulate members who have followed the rules through many sensible, mature debates.)

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trev, DM is a newb who is really telling it as it is. I went along never having heard him before and I came away impressed by him albeit saddened by our position

I may be a little concerned that he is obsessed with the bottom line right now but he inherited a HUGE problem - he is just stopping short of saying that we are in "real trouble". I think he said that if we continue as we are now we will be a basket case (my words not his) in 5 yrs. Our share of turnover on June 30 is the magic date that determines our share of the joint venture revenue from the TAB. From memory, I think he showed that our contribution of TAB turnover was about 14% but it recently slipped to about 13%. This could result in a reduction in our funding by $1m.

We already have a huge debt to service, from memory (which is not always good) our interest payment alone is $1m and our principal payments $1.5m. We are supposedly asset rich due to the parcel of land that we own around the Melton complex but this was an old tip and realizing its potential is proving a lengthy process.

Trev you must be in the East of the state and I brought up how Melton has not only lost Melbourne but exasperated the plight of the East. I asked about the last Strategic Plans aim at revitalizing Cranbourne ( I hoped as a Metro twin for Melton) and I think it is still on the drawing board but I certainly remember the opinion of some attending Stawell, expressing the difficulty of getting through Melbourne to Cranbourne

I think I am right in thinking that the shift of the Miracle Mile has contributed to programming changes in Vic
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-19-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    You're right, Kev, that he is a new boy and it is a crying shame the industry has been run by successive boards that have put all its eggs into Melton. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the decision making processes that resulted in (a) a 5 furlong track when industry participants pleaded for larger; (b) the track being positioned so that participants and spectators at premier meetings in summer months get a great view of the sun - and not much else - when looking up the main straight; (c) a not-so grandstand without a roof, oh never mind - that is compensated by wet southerlies pounding in during the wetter months; (d) not building the much promised training complex; (e) building the whole hog at a location not served by pubic transport; and (f) saving a heap on steel by building a stable complex with a roof about a metre lower than it should have been. In other words, they built a hot box when the horsemen needed an Esky.

In hindsight, HRV could have just taken over Beckley Park at Geelong, spent a few million and been none the worse for the experience. At Melton, it seems accountant-types and marketing-types got their way over engineering nous and horse sense. And every industry participant will be worse off in the long run. NSW, by contrast, continue to develop a classy racing and training facility at Menangle. Melton locals at least have a spacious pokies venue to spin their money on.

Yes, getting to West Gippsland venues - Cranbourne and Warragul is much more tedious now than it was a decade and a half ago. Warragul, not so much being a day club as you travel against the traffic both ways. Cranbourne is principally a night club these days which gives its own set of challenges. I'd be interested to know what galloping participants think getting to night racing at Cranbourne and Pakenham.

Of course, Cranbourne and Warragul are only moot points these days as our "headquarters" should have been at Keysborough. Unfortunately, the knockers of that project got their way and sold of the land the board had purchased under guidance and foresight of the late Graeme Cochran.

Boy oh boy, do we need a dozen Graeme Cochrans now. Urgently!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    You're right, Kev, that he is a new boy and it is a crying shame the industry has been run by successive boards that have put all its eggs into Melton. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the decision making processes that resulted in (a) a 5 furlong track when industry participants pleaded for larger; (b) the track being positioned so that participants and spectators at premier meetings in summer months get a great view of the sun - and not much else - when looking up the main straight; (c) a not-so grandstand without a roof, oh never mind - that is compensated by wet southerlies pounding in during the wetter months; (d) not building the much promised training complex; (e) building the whole hog at a location not served by pubic transport; and (f) saving a heap on steel by building a stable complex with a roof about a metre lower than it should have been. In other words, they built a hot box when the horsemen needed an Esky.

In hindsight, HRV could have just taken over Beckley Park at Geelong, spent a few million and been none the worse for the experience. At Melton, it seems accountant-types and marketing-types got their way over engineering nous and horse sense. And every industry participant will be worse off in the long run. NSW, by contrast, continue to develop a classy racing and training facility at Menangle. Melton locals at least have a spacious pokies venue to spin their money on.

Yes, getting to West Gippsland venues - Cranbourne and Warragul is much more tedious now than it was a decade and a half ago. Warragul, not so much being a day club as you travel against the traffic both ways. Cranbourne is principally a night club these days which gives its own set of challenges. I'd be interested to know what galloping participants think getting to night racing at Cranbourne and Pakenham.

Of course, Cranbourne and Warragul are only moot points these days as our "headquarters" should have been at Keysborough. Unfortunately, the knockers of that project got their way and sold of the land the board had purchased under guidance and foresight of the late Graeme Cochran.

Boy oh boy, do we need a dozen Graeme Cochrans now. Urgently!

G'Day Trevor,
    Oh dear, you have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. I personally don't agree with this, Melton has to be included somewhere surely.http://www.bettingpro.com.au/categor...20160801-0006/

+ Reply to Thread