Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
Nup
While on the rules it give's me the shit's when someone has a better than average 3yo and say win's 5 or 6 3yo races he come's out a c3 or higher my way of thinking he should come out a co by doing this it give's the owner more chance of a return some good 3yo's find it hard and don't adapt well to all age racing that well, if he come's out a c4 or 5 he might not well win another race .Were not talking about Lombo pocket Watch or the top liner's here just the good horses that might win 4 or 5 age race's
What are people's thought's on this
Greg you are going to get many who flatly oppose 3yo coming back as C0's doesn't matter how many races they have won. To be honest if a 3yo has got to a 3C5 or so, they have probably got a good return anyway. Agree wholeheartedly about the adapting to open age racing.

Interesting to see Excel Stride squaring up against M0 horses tomorrow night. Don't see that too often. Madam Lily is a C9 M0 and she will struggle big time next season. It would be off to the breeding barn if she was mine because she would get lapped by M0 mares, let alone colts.

This is why there is a massive hole in 4yo racing and for mine too many very good 3yo get chucked to the wolves by walking straight into metro grade as a 4yo. some handle it, but I think the majority don't.

This actually goes back to the breeding debate too. There must be heaps of 3yo fillies in particular that are probably C0 or C1 whom in reality will not go further than a C3/C4. Owners will look at it and think they haven't got much hope of being economically viable to race, so they go to the breeding barn (with 2 free 3yo wins some handy enough mares will be worth sending on race form alone) or get dogged.

The 4yo year slams all sides of the equation. It is almost like a nothing year where most owners should cotton wool their 3yo until the back end of the 4yo season as there is no real point attacking country front age until they are more seasoned.

I was disappointed the ASBA Report didn't focus on this area more, because 4yo mare racing is very important overall and the leakage of mares out of the industry at this age must be unacceptably high.