Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Racing Etiquette : Advice

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith

Racing Etiquette : Advice

Hello Hello,

Hopefully in the next month or two my 2 Courage fillies will be racing. As a first time owner I would appreciate some advice.

What is expected as far as winning "Slings" to the trainer and driver. Would it be expected if the horses places if it was a big race prizemoney wise.

Also I read on another thread that if the driver runs a slow sectional and wins the fine may be paid by some owners. What happens if the driver is fined and horse runs last ?

Sometimes what is considered to be poor "Form" as far as this goes, I think some of the time it may simply be a case of not knowing what is expected.

Regards,

Sue

triplev123
    G'day Sue,

As far as bread & butter $ events are concerned The Big Mile usually runs flat out down the grassed side outside fence through the final 16th of the race & if his charge salutes the judge he will proceed to abandon all aspects of self control, leap up and over the rail, rush out onto the track and proceed to kiss and bear-hug the driver. In big $$$ events the reaction is even more pronounced.

Fines wise, if your horse wins & your driver gets jammed up for slow sectionals or out of position at the start or whatever then I think it's good form to pony up the cash on their behalf. I would. Even if they get beaten I'd consider it. Finishing last might not fall under that banner though. When they're out there doing their absolute best to win the race for you then it's the right thing to do to cover them, IMO, unless of course it's a case of reckless or foul driving or whatever but I've never encountered that yet.
    Interestingly, most of the TB owners will leave the Hoops swinging in the wind if they get fines for too many whip shots or whatever, not exactly sure what they get fined for to be honest, but a couple of mates of mine are Jockeys and the TB owners are quite often miserable bastards in that regard.

Junior Member Weanling Paleface will become famous soon enough Paleface's Avatar
    Real Name
    jon Bon
    as far as slings go i am more inclined to throw a few $$ the trainers way, the way i figure it he or she does the majority of the work day in day out. as far as fines for drivers go i tend to pay em if im happy with the drive and only if they bother to hang around and help ungear and give an honest appraisal of how the horse went

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I pay my driver's fines for slow sectional's, whip use. pushing out. forcing runner wide etc for every race regardless of placing's but not for starting position or foul driving. I alway's if i think the horse has a chance will put a few dollar's on for the driver don't worry about the Trainer he can buy his own bread for the kid's.

PS: I train them myself if i wan't to race one or lease them out.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    It's up to you Sue, you don't have to sling anybody if you don't want to.
    I normaly give the driver $100 for a normal win and more for a bigger race. My trainer only charges a reasonable fee so I give him 10% of the winning prize money.
    Haven't had a winning driver fined but if it helped win the race then I would chip in.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Hi Love Of Courage

Firstly, all the very very best with them!!!

Secondly, I dunno if there is an acceptable practice re slings but can give you some hints else wise...

My trainer said the best thing about our horse racing is watching our reaction. We maybe over react a bit (maybe a lot!) but we (always) enjoy!! Go watch them working with your horse on those cold, frosty, wet mornings and even on those stinking hot ones. Then go home pick up the paper and read about the whingers that can't get a seat on the train.

Thank you is usually enough.

Cheers and again all the best with them!!

Flashing Red
    I would pay for the driver fines as listed by Hando. If you backed the horse, I would also give a small percentage to the trainer and driver, proportioned to what you won. I wouldn't really give any other slings, personally (nor would I expect them myself). I think, more important than slings, is paying you bill on time. Pay you bill on time, don't argue if the fees are reasonable, pay for drivers fines and throw in a few dollars here or there to the trainer/driver if you win on the punt. Horse ownership is expensive enough, especially if you bred them yourself and started from scratch. You have a lot of money to recoup before you break even let alone get ahead. Once you are head then you start slinging the trainers / drivers IMHO

Above all, do what you want, what you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrongs

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    If my horses are going around at reasonable odds (3-1 or better, any shorter not worth the risk) I will generally have a bet for my trainer (who is also the driver in my case) somewhere between $200-$500. I will also pay their fines provided they're for minor breaches, I would not support any stupidity or blatant wrong doing (not that I have to worry about that with my trainer/driver).

I agree with the comments re paying your bills on time, this is super important and at the end of the day common courtesy.
    "Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Zen Guide to Life

+ Reply to Thread