+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Laurie Kennedy

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street

RIP Laurie Kennedy

We met Laurie Kennedy after buying a little filly off him at the Westral Sales back in the 90s. She was a handy little thing, won the Busselton Cup for us and we all had a massive soft spot for her courtesy of Laurie. I remember Laurie coming to talk to us and to say goodbye to Pretty after the sale was over and even as a young girl, I knew Laurie was a really decent man. My mum forged a friendship with him as a result of buying that little horse, and he was never shy to say hello and have a chat if he saw at the trots and would always wish us luck.

Laurie was a true hero for WA breeding, always supporting WA stallions even though he could get more for his yearlings by breeding to the big guns. He was kind, smiley, knowledgeable and over all just a genuinely decent man, a true gentleman.

I didn't realise until today that it was Laurie who hand sewed the flower garlands for group 1 winners. Jack Mac's Golden Slipper garland was the last one he made and it'll forever take pride of place in our pool room.

I read this morning that Laurie lost his short battle with cancer and my heart really hurts. He was taken way too soon.

The industry and indeed the world has lost an absolute marvel. RIP Laurie
    Last edited by KTQ; 07-28-2017 at 01:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread