Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Time to give Arsenic the A

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Time to give Arsenic the A

The integrity departments need to find a way to fix the arsenic problem.
    It is pointless testing for it if nobody can be found guilty on the basis that it cannot be excluded that the level of arsenic was not the result of the horse consuming wood from paddock fencing

I don't know what the benefits of arsenic are and whether it warrants a rule whereby the trainer is responsible for the stabling/fencing of a horse (the replacement of all treated pine poles?) but I am sick of reading the exact same ruling/excuse.

The latest charges:

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...ry---Ben-Yole-
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    A 2006 study of the remains of the Australian racehorse, Phar Lap, determined that the 1932 death of the famous champion was caused by a massive overdose of arsenic. Sydney veterinarian Percy Sykes stated, "In those days, arsenic was quite a common tonic, usually given in the form of a solution (Fowler's Solution) ... It was so common that I'd reckon 90 per cent of the horses had arsenic in their system."[62

Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Arsenic IS a good tonic, used infrequently in minute doses, it also has performance enhancing characteristics used too frequently and in higher doses, it will kill a horse if given too often in larger doses, it usually enlargens the heart and eats away the liver.....ever hear how big Par Lap's liver was when they dissected him? Nope and you won't.

Even if the "fence post" excuse keeps getting trotted out, we need an acceptable level to be arrived at that ensures the welfare of the horse that is then policed adequately and if your "fencing" is causing your horses to go over that level then you are guilty of not only presenting a horse to race with illegal levels of substances but also the more serious animal welfare charges.

25 years ago we banned steroids completely because they were putting horses in early graves, it's about time we did the same thing for a number of substances and if I hear someone say "but the test methods for arsenic are not accurate enough for certain levels to be determined"... then ban it altogether, no excuses, treated pine posts or not.....full stop.
    Last edited by Danno; 07-30-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Jodi Quinland the latest to lose a win thanks to a 'fence post chewer'

http://www.harness.org.au/news/uploa...20decision.pdf
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The integrity departments need to find a way to fix the arsenic problem.
    It is pointless testing for it if nobody can be found guilty on the basis that it cannot be excluded that the level of arsenic was not the result of the horse consuming wood from paddock fencing

I don't know what the benefits of arsenic are and whether it warrants a rule whereby the trainer is responsible for the stabling/fencing of a horse (the replacement of all treated pine poles?) but I am sick of reading the exact same ruling/excuse.

The latest charges:

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...ry---Ben-Yole-
    The stewards investigate this stuff very closely Kevin. Pardon the terminology but it's not a bullshit excuse - it's a fact so many posts are covered in this stuff and some horses chew them. Now that people are aware I think you will find things will change but clearly it is an issue consistent across many states, which I think further supports my point. I congratulate the Stewards for applying a common sense approach to the issue.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Stu, it is the fact that it has the potential to be a bullshit excuse, which worries me - let's face it, if you were dosing your horse with an arsenic tonic and got a positive you have a ready made 'the dog ate my homework' excuse available to you.

As for people now being aware, I knew treated pine poles contained arsenic over 30 years ago simply through being a home owner and at about that same time I knew horses chewed them just through taking my daughter to Ponyland.
    Without a study to determine what is the maximum level of arsenic a pole chewer can reach, the stewards have no alternative but to show common sense.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Stu, it is the fact that it has the potential to be a bullshit excuse, which worries me - let's face it, if you were dosing your horse with an arsenic tonic and got a positive you have a ready made 'the dog ate my homework' excuse available to you.

As for people now being aware, I knew treated pine poles contained arsenic over 30 years ago simply through being a home owner and at about that same time I knew horses chewed them just through taking my daughter to Ponyland.
    Without a study to determine what is the maximum level of arsenic a pole chewer can reach, the stewards have no alternative but to show common sense.
    I wish there was a 'like' button on here to mark the sensibility of your comment. Maybe someone can do a thesis on it and maybe in a few years we may have the answer

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Trainers are advised to take measures to ensure that racing horses do not have access to environmental sources of arsenic including treated timber products. http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=34799
    Last edited by trish; 09-15-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is ridiculous that we are such a fragmented industry and a warning like this is coming from Tassie not a national body
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread