Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Time to give Arsenic the A

Member Yearling Diablo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Miller
    The legend of Phar Lap wouldn't be as great if people realised that he was treated with Arsenic most of his racing career and the notion that he was nobbled which resulted in his death was just a piece of journalistic sensationalism. These days there are too many flimsy scenarios used as a defence and if that excuse has a 1% possibility of occurring the charged party gets the benefit of the doubt. These results make the industry look bad, makes the Stewards look stupid and leaves punters annoyed. These days the form guide seems the most useless piece of armoury for the punter to try and find the winner, the best idea seems to try and guess the rort.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    3 more Arsenic guilty pleas on one day (Nov 14)
    Special consideration given on all 3 penalties
    It would seem that we are doing very little to give arsenic the A

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...ries/#stewards
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal boondocks will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Browne
    Occupation
    Retired
    Animal welfare and industry detractors will have field day with the number of positive swabs with lenient penalties ( rules relating to the removal of designated fencing could occur) Irrespective of the causes and threshold levels the lenient penalties will surely encourage others to use arsenic laced sawdust. Stewards could be perceived to be taking stronger action if as part of their decision the relevant horses were disqualified until levels reached acceptable threshold levels.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Somebody asked me if Vic is the only state testing for arsenic or are we the unlucky state that copped all the bad fence posts
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    No Kev, WA tests for Arsenic, The Chem Centre here is usually the referral lab for Vic B samples. Can't recall how many Arsenic positives there have been here, a few, not a lot. Most recent I can recall Clinton Hall who received no penalty when RWWA stewards were satisfied fence posts were still the culprits.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think the question was a little tongue-in-cheek Dot as Vic seem to have a lot more positives than other states and a higher number of 'chewer' horses (or different pine poles) doesn't really wash
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Why does a greater number of "chewers" not wash in the state that has the highest number of individual trainers and horses trained in rural environments Kev? I have had someone here tell me that WA pine posts are not treated with chromium copper arsenate as they are elsewhere. That is not something I have confirmed though.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    4 Victorian Arsenic charges in the news today

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...ries/#stewards
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    And 2 harness and a bunch of TB ones in WA on the RWWA site

You might find this an interesting read Kev.

https://www.rwwa.com.au/home/media-c...pike-8015.html

Judith Medd is RWWAs vet. I believe she and RWWA are lobbying for an increase in the arsenic threshold, and that the testing process can distinguish between arsenic positives originating from treated pine poles and arsenic originating from injection.

Despite what I was told previously WA pine posts are treated with chromium copper arsenate as elsewhere, and the amount has been increased recently in WA in response to failures caused by white ants.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The 5th Media release warning about Arsenic as a result of continued instances

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=38542
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread