Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: List of first race wins

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley

List of first race wins

I am currently flicking through one old Trotting Weekly after another for a research project and as I have been going I have been writing down names/dates of "first time" winners mentioned in the articles, that is, when a driver has steered their first winner, on a country circuit and also in the city.

This is a list of Victorian drivers only, but interested to know if anyone on here can help me add to the list with their own achievement, or those they may know of.

Probably someone has already done this (I have seen a list of city stats some years ago) but nonetheless it is keeping me occupied while I flick through each page.

Some of the stories behind these people and their background etc have made for interesting reading too.

Out of interest here is what I have found so far...

MELBOURNE
    BUHAGIAR, FRANK HONALEE LAD MV 24/07/82
    BUTTIGIEG, VIC FAIR GYRO MV 08/04/78
    CROSSLAND, BRIAN CARRAMAR SUE MV 09/09/78
    DALTON, GRAEME WENDY ROBIN MV 13/05/78
    DOW, PETER PENNYWEIGHT DALE MV 10/06/78
    DUNSFORD, KAREN LASSKEN MV 20/08/82
    HAYES, MARK BOROUGH BIRCH MV 26/12/81
    JONES, COLIN BOURBON STREET MV 27/01/79
    JUNOR, ROY HUNDRED DOUBLES MV 10/02/79
    KELLY, PAT DIRECT BLACK MV 10/02/79
    KNOWLES, TERRY PALEFACE LYNDY MV 20/03/82
    KRUISSELBRINK, JOHN TRELLA SHOW 19/08/78
    LAMONT, TERRY KENTUCKY BREEZE MV 16/01/82
    MCCORMICK, MALCOLM ARDRI EAGLE SHOW 23/12/78
    MORGAN, PHILIP BRAD ADIOS MV 03/02/79
    PATCHING, TREVOR BLACK AARON MV 13/08/82
    PONTING, TONY RAPOVER SHOW 23/12/78
    RYAN, JOHN MONTECITO MV 08/05/82
    WEBSTER, BRETT BAND OF GOLD MV 24/04/82

COUNTRY
    ALLEN, BILL GUNSID MARYBOROUGH 20/04/79
    ANDREWS, BRIAN LALBERT BOY OUYEN 15/04/78
    AUGHEY, JOHN DIRECT BLACK BENDIGO 24/04/79
    CORMICAN, PETER JOE CREED WANGARATTA 21/08/82
    DOVE, JUDY TINY SCOTCH SHEPPARTON 07/12/78
    GRAHAM, ARTHUR (SNR) YALBALGO OUYEN 01/01/74
    HAMILTON, NEIL CARNUM BEAU OUYEN 12/03/73
    HAYES, BRIAN BESS ARMAGH OUYEN 15/04/78
    HEFFER, JOHN MINUTE SMOKE CRANBOURNE 09/01/78
    HOBAN, GARY STAR TREATY SHEPPARTON 19/03/79
    JACKSON, ROBERT SEAVIEW KILMORE 05/03/79
    KENNEDY, MICK BELARD BAY CRANBOURNE 12/06/78
    KINDER, JAMES SYD'S REBEL YARRA GLEN 23/04/79
    LANG, CHRIS WANDERING KID STAWELL 03/06/78
    MCCLUSKY, CHARLIE DUNBAR LASS WANGARATTA 22/12/78
    NAGY, RAY KALAMA YOGI BALLARAT 30/09/78
    TORMEY, JOHN MARY'S SON MILDURA 11/11/78
    TUBBS, ALAN PRINCE COULTER STAWELL 26/09/78

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good stuff Kyle.
    If only we had NZ's database
    Click on any trainers name and it will list their statistics season by season, click on any season and it will give full details of every win they had (and place if you change 'performance type')
    I am not sure how far it goes back but definitely to the 70's

Too hard for Australia - excuse is pretty much that we art too big
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    In NSW we have no records prior to mid 1983, I distinctly remember our licencing fees escalating dramatically around that time and HRNSW saying it was to pay for the "new computer", anyway good thing we now have better records and in NSW from September/October 2008 we started to get on line replays, they started being only last part of the race but grew to the whole affair as the technology got better and I personally love them.

Kyle, my very limited personal stuff,

1st country winner, "Sedate's Pride" Tamworth 29th March 1975 ( Easter Saturday) and my first race drive...lucky me! ( Thanks Dad)
    2nd Country winner "Sedate's Pride" Tamworth 1st April 1975 (Easter Monday and Thanks Dad again) and my second ever race drive....EXXXTRAA lucky me! I had just turned 17 and thought I was a genius, but was to learn in fact I was not!!

Many years later, after waking up to the fact I was not in fact a genius... 1st Harold Park winner "Handover Tar" 26th April 1996 I bred him too which made the waiting worthwhile and I'm pleased to say my mate is about 50 to 100 metres away from where I sit right now and at the ripe old age of 26 is looking a treat, winter coat and all.

And again many years later first Menangle winner on 26th October 2014 was a drive only on a very nice horse "Scotlynn Jiggs" in the JC Caffyn Plate as it is now known, but also a personal milestone was the horse won in 1.54.7.......my one and only sub "55" winner. ( Thanks Dean Cernovskis)

cheers,
    Danno
    Last edited by Danno; 07-30-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Fantastic memories Dan, I remember the last one well. Great to hear Handover Tar is still with you.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Another win to the Jayne Davies - Chris Alford combo at YV today
    The more things change, the more they stay the same
    If we had NZ's database I wouldn't need a minute to find out when these 2 first had success
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle knows when the Davies (Alexander)/ Alford combo first graced the winner's stall as we are talking about the Far East (Vic)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Chartas - Geelong, February 3 1988 appears to be the trivia question answer.

Admitting I had some help - you can Google Chris Alford's stables webpage which contains a full list of his race drives, directly linked and updated from the national database. He had been driving for about three seasons before linking up with Noel/Jayne

By the way we can add Shaun Duggan to the "first time winners" list from tonight at Ballarat with "Maximum Jolt".

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post

By the way we can add Shaun Duggan to the "first time winners" list from tonight at Ballarat with "Maximum Jolt".

Congrats Shaun!

Maximum Jolt was listed for sale before last night

+ Reply to Thread