Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things you like the most about Harness Racing

triplev123

Things you like the most about Harness Racing

In the spirit of the things that annoy you the most...the things I like the most are, in no particular order...

1. Family/friends participation
    2. Foaling time/Breeding season
    3. 2yo & 3yo racing
    4. Yearling Sales
    5. Watching the young horses (rising 2yrs) develop.
    6. Winning a race, any race, anywhere.
    7. Backing a winner
    8. Harness Websites & Forums which afford the Industry & those in it unprecedented platforms of exposure and allow them the freedom to express their views & discuss the issues that concern them in real time, as it is happening or as it has just happened.
    9. The positive changes that have occurred across the board here in NSW in terms of both the NSWHRC and HRNSW. It was not so long ago that both organisations left a Hell of a lot to be desired as far as their interaction with Industry Participants was concerned. The current forms of both are totally unrecogniseable as compared to their forebears and thank heavens for that.
    10. The Breed.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Good idea for a thread triplev123, I love watching a foal that you have breed having its first trial and race.
    I love the characters in the industry, hardworking and tough as nails.
    I love the start of the new season 2yo races, seeing the new stallions progeny and whos got the good ones this year.
    The Kilmore Cup is one of my favorite meetings.
    Love the new bigger safer tracks. You can see much more without the rails.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Thanks triple for starting this interesting positive thread. I started the original one about "Harness Racing - Things that annoy you most" and have enjoyed reading the responses there , so looking forward to seeing the input here. I will have to go away and have a think about what I really love about harness racing.

Too busy now trying to work out a winner for Menangle tonight. After the first two races , not travelling too well :-(

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    The thing I like most about harness racing is my horses

Flashing Red
    Racing the horses up to 6 times a month - try doing that with thoroughbreds! Also being able to get 300+ starts out of them And that the good horses race more frequently than the galloping ones.

I could go on all day!

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    Racing the horses up to 6 times a month - try doing that with thoroughbreds! Also being able to get 300+ starts out of them And that the good horses race more frequently than the galloping ones.

I could go on all day!
    Good Call Flashing red, never better exemplified that ond Karloo Mick at Newcastle last night sticking his head out on the line. What an old warrior. Win number 58 for the champ.

Because of their longevity, you grow to know and love the champs in Harness Racing - Blackie, Karloo Mick, BGJ, Smoken Up, Monkey King etc. Year in and Year out they're there like old friends. In the gallops they are usually retired by the time they've had 25-30 starts, to protect their stud value.

aussiebreno
    1. Seeing the same faces week in week out. (Even better seeing new faces)
    2. Having a consistent avenue to sit down and watch the best on Friday/Sat nights
    3. The journey of good horses progressing from first few starts to the ultimate level
    4. Horses winning when they shouldn't have; eg a horse 3 wide the trip
    5. Horses close to you winning; the bigger the prize the bigger the thrill (can't wait until I actually own one)
    6. The best racing each other so often and for so long as other said. (Zipping, the 'grand old warrior' of thoroughbred racing only had 43 starts)
    7. Passionate opinions
    8. Stories like the Come On Frank win last weekend
    9. The ability for Joe Blow to have a horse in against the big names like Luke McCarthy and still come out on top
    10. Backing a winner
    11. When a broodmare produces winner after winner after winner.
    12. That the industry is currently moving forward
    13. The unpredictability.
    14. Aussie horses beating Kiwis
    15. There is a track 5mins down the road from me

Not in any particular order.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    The horses, the breed and the friends I have been able to make because of Harness Racing.
    A lot of what has been written in posts above.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    The style of racing that allows for brilliant race calls, tough horses that love winning from the chair, mobile starts, ease of access to get into the game, backing winners, not managing to get a bet on and watching it get beat (that probably relates to all codes though)

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    There 2 main things I love about Harness Racing. The horses and the people. Every morning, no matter how bad your nights been, the horses are there to greet me. They're my mates with no strings attached and no expectations.
    The people I have met throughout the world because of harness racing is great and while come from different cultures we all share the same passion, the standardbred. Whether a person has one horse or a barn full each has the potential to have a Inter Dom or Jug winner.
    There is a thousand other things I like/love about our game.

+ Reply to Thread