Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Harness Racing Research Project

Junior Member Foal Patrick.H will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Patrick Hurley

Harness Racing Research Project

Hi, my name is Patrick, over the last few months i have been working on my research project which is related to harness racing. my research question is 'To what extent can the major issues within the harness racing industry be addressed to insure its longevity?'
    As part of my research project I have created a survey on the issues of harness racing.
    If you would like to complete my survey, please copy the url below into your url bar at the top of your browser or click on the url. The survey is only 7 or so questions long, and should only take up to 5 minutes of your time. It is also largely opinion based.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3KSX3BX

Thank you to anyone who completes the survey for me, you will have been a great help!

Junior Member Foal Excursion will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Collins
    Hi Patrick, great to see your interest. I have completed your survey and would recommend it to others. The sport's slide is probably due to greater and more complex factors than your survey questions touch on. If you are looking to take an academic approach to the topic I would recommend a book called A Global Racecourse which was published in 2008 by the Australian Society For Sports History. There is an excellent chapter called Taking The Heat Out of The Red Hots by a gentleman named Wayne Peake. Of course there are many more avenues of inquiry you can take and you could probably write a thesis if you had the time and inclination - that's how our interesting our sport is! Good luck!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Patrick, luckily I have a couple of hours left to unwind before bed (I'm a night owl) as that survey certainly got me wound up. I hope you end up one of our saviours
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Excursion View Post
    Hi Patrick, great to see your interest. I have completed your survey and would recommend it to others. The sport's slide is probably due to greater and more complex factors than your survey questions touch on. If you are looking to take an academic approach to the topic I would recommend a book called A Global Racecourse which was published in 2008 by the Australian Society For Sports History. There is an excellent chapter called Taking The Heat Out of The Red Hots by a gentleman named Wayne Peake. Of course there are many more avenues of inquiry you can take and you could probably write a thesis if you had the time and inclination - that's how our interesting our sport is! Good luck!
    I too will have to seek that one out David. It is strange how 'rogues' are seen as being particularly harmful to our code and yet the gallops seem to be impervious to theirs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly allanjg will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    allan gee
    we would all like to know how your survey went patrick.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Thanks Patrick, I'm sure you will see some common denominators in the results.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I've done the survey Patrick, was a bit disappointed "breeder" was not an option in the "whats your involvement" question. The most important people in my opinion !
    I honestly think the old board was to focused on raising turnover and let on course attendances drop so we now have a shortage of owners and breeders.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I've done the survey Patrick, was a bit disappointed "breeder" was not an option in the "whats your involvement" question. The most important people in my opinion !
    I honestly think the old board was to focused on raising turnover and let on course attendances drop so we now have a shortage of owners and breeders.
    Rest assured Rick, you were not the only one that made the point about attendance being the forerunner to ownership
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    There have not been to many positive initiatives in the past 10 to 15 years, the one that stands out the most to me are the pony trots. I think they are brilliant and are providing many future trainers and drivers. Just a pity there is nobody on course to see them besides trainers, owners and drivers.
    Also the reeducation programs for retired horses like" Raising The Standards" and "Hero" are a good thing for the industry.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I completed the survey Patrick, I thought it was a bit broad but well done for that and hope it provides enough worthwhile information. I also agree with the posts regarding the course attendance drops having a major impact.

+ Reply to Thread