Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Harness Racing Research Project

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I also think the OHS/WHS bans on the public entering the stable area has made it harder to get new people involved. Nowadays you can't take potential new owners and their kids down to the stables to pat your horse and meet the trainer and driver. Truth is you are a million times more likely to be injured on the drive to the track than in the stabling area.
    I know it was hands on contact with the horses and meeting some of the characters involved in the sport that got me hooked.
    The lack of any undercover spectator seating at Melton and a shortage of inside sitting areas also ads to the issue.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I used to take notice of those signs Rick
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I used to take notice of those signs Rick
    I think Melton is the only club that checks if you are licensed as you enter the stables. I have seen stewards asking unlicensed people to leave the stable areas at several other clubs though. It's a bit rich having to pay $99 a year to visit your own horse at the track , just one of the many perks of being an owner and another thing keeping new owners away ! And once you are a licensed person you can be fined or banned if you say something the board doesn't like on social media !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It doesn't sound like a license would suit me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I think Melton is the only club that checks if you are licensed as you enter the stables. I have seen stewards asking unlicensed people to leave the stable areas at several other clubs though. It's a bit rich having to pay $99 a year to visit your own horse at the track , just one of the many perks of being an owner and another thing keeping new owners away ! And once you are a licensed person you can be fined or banned if you say something the board doesn't like on social media !
    Rick, I remember back in the 80's at Gloucester Park the overzealous gate attendants requiring you to show your trainers licence before entering the stabling area whether they still do it now I don't know but at a guess, I would say definitely.
    I presume they still allow the public to get up close to view the horses parading in the birdcage area before going onto the track. If that was banned that would be an absolute deterrent for the harness racing patrons. I don't attend race meetings these days, Gloucester Park may be an inner-city track but getting there for the first race in peak traffic time on a Friday night can be a nightmare.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Once they know your face at the GP stabling area you are ok, but now and then you get the odd "show us your proof" from an attendant. Funnily enough if you go in from the river side entrance the attendant is on the gate but you can wander in willy nilly near the birdcage gate where the horses come back in after racing. But I found it generally very good especially if you wanted to go and see the might quinny or smoken up etc...not a problem. Of course, you had to hide your beer.. I would be very pissed off if I couldnt see one of my horses before the race and not being able to have a chat with the trainer and driver, that is what it is all about.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Doesn't cost an owner anything to visit their horse on track.
    $99 would be a stablehand licence

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Do the signs say 'Licensed personnel and owners only' Wayne?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Do the signs say 'Licensed personnel and owners only' Wayne?
    ?
    Refer to post #12 Kev.

Just realised I should edit #17
    Doesn't cost an owner anything to visit their horse on track.
    $99 would be a stablehand licence

Add - Admission fee to enter the track (free at Melton) or Trotcard for every Vic meeting which can be purchased very cheaply...although at some meetings owners are often given free admittance.
    Last edited by arlington; 09-19-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wayne, I was referring to Rick's post 11 and yours - what I was asking because I cannot remember/picture it vividly, is whether the OHS signs that are on the gates into the stabling area say 'Licensed personnel only' or whether they say 'Owners and Licensed Personnel only' ?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread