Thread: Who is breeding this year?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)

Who is breeding this year?

We are breeding 2 mares this year, we breed to sell and after
    looking at our results/costs over the last couple of years have decided to cut back by 80%.
    The mares we are breeding can (fingers crossed) produce offspring that will bring a return
    great enough to justify the risk(fingers crossed again).

Anyone else breeding this year?

I have a permanent position vacant for a night watchperson/ security guard, pays good, good condititions, staying awake is a must(unlike the last chap), police check, references, start ASAP. Melbourne Victoria.

Ex NSW stewards need not apply.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Are you cutting back from 10 to 2 ?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Yes we are Eliteblood, we also have a 4 year old mare that will be bred next year when she comes off the turf

We have already sold 2 to QLD, 1 up the road and will keep the others for another year.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    We are breeding 2 mares this year, we breed to sell and after
    looking at our results/costs over the last couple of years have decided to cut back by 80%.
    The mares we are breeding can (fingers crossed) produce offspring that will bring a return
    great enough to justify the risk(fingers crossed again).

Anyone else breeding this year?
    [VVV] In this neck of the woods there'll be only 3 this time around (back from 8 or 9) and it'll be steady at that for the foreseeable future. HRA & State admin. crews Australia wide would no doubt think otherwise of course...clearly they want numbers, numbers, numbers...but in the end they don't have to pay the up-keep for them all and for their subsequent raising to point of sale or beyond that, training & racing. $ for $ & purely from our own perspective, cutting back the numbers...I don't think it's a bad thing. We'll be much better off just breeding from 3 really good proven commercial broodmares/broodmare prospects that'll leave us very saleable commodities should we choose to continue down that road...as opposed to breeding the 3 aforementioned along with a support crew of 2 or 3 handy enough ones plus the obligatory passengers that we will all pick up along the way.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    I would like to breed a few this year but QLD is not the best place to breed and sell. I have 6 broodmares and may actually not breed with any of them this year. If I was to find a Stud Farm willing to negotiate better than normal terms as far as payments goes I would consider breeding a few or all of them as I love watching the babies grow.

Anyone know if any of the studs would be willing to discuss options ?

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Not looking good for foal numbers in 2012 Mightymo !!!
    I will be breeding 6 mares this year. Likely stallions are SBSW, RNR Heaven, Art Major and Mach Three.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    but its not a problem we need to address Trevor...

triplev123
    In the coming season, one where there are clearly more high profile sires available than ever before, it's my very distinct gut feeling that here in Oz less mares will be bred than were last season and I think it could be as high as 10% overall.
    Add that reduction to the rather atrocious mares served to live foals produced tale that's being told by the most recent (but by no means the final) figures for 2010/11 & it looks pretty ordinary.
    That being said, I'm a great believer in the dictates of free market forces and all this is no more nor is it any less than a Standardbred Breeding manifestation thereof.

2009/10 vs 2010/11 Head to Head.

2009/10- 8,415 services
    2010/11- 8,203 services

2009/10- 5,197 live foals
    2010/11- 5,079 live foals

2009/10- 11 mares died at birth
    2010/11- 11 mares died at birth

2009/10- 649 mares slipped
    2010/11- 592 mares slipped

2009/10- 1,905 mares missed
    2010/11- 1,340 mares missed

2009/10- 325 foals died
    2010/11- 319 foals died

2009/10- 117 mares died
    2010/11- 129 mares died

2009/10- 211 no returns
    2010/11 -733 no returns (season's totals not yet completely allocated)

For the 2010/11 season the latest available figures show 8,203 services performed & they have resulted in just 5,079 live foals or 61.9%.
    This represents an ever so slight increase of 0.16% over 2009/2010's all-time low of 61.74%.
    Of course, depending on where those 733 current no returns are ultimately allocated, a very slender margin such as that could disappear in the blink of an eye.
    My guess is by the end of counting for 2010/11 most of the 733 will end up as being zero foal results in one way or another. I think we'll be lucky to top 61.0%.
    The fact that basically 4 in every 10 services performed ends up a complete waste of time should send shockwaves through the Industry, IMO.
    If my figures are correct then it appears that the gap between Sires getting mares In-foal and those mares going on to produce live foals is heading the wrong way, up from a tick over 12% in 2009/10 to a decidedly worrying 14% in 2010/11.
    In keeping with the above, taking into account the NON STALLION related aspects of 2010/11 (which are currently still in place & clouding up things but are very soon to vaporise...YAHOO!) and the National Sires Fertility Figures compare thus...
    2009/10- 73.94% Final.
    2010/11- 74.72% & counting.
    Last edited by triplev123; 08-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    I have a problem with referring to live foal percentages as "sires fertility figures".
    The stallion has no input into mares dying, foals dying, mares slipping, etc. so why do we persist in calling it sires fertility figures.

Flashing Red
    3 mares. Rocknroll Heaven, Bettors Delight and a toss up between Rocknroll Hanover & Art Major.

+ Reply to Thread