Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SAHRC to sell 70% of Globe Derby

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

SAHRC to sell 70% of Globe Derby

I am a bit late with this one but better late than never
    I am not familiar with GD - what will they be left with?

The story

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messen...e3f9d4702cf640

HRSA's reaction

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=35798
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Comes up with having to subscribe to the advertiser to read the article Kev.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Comes up with having to subscribe to the advertiser to read the article Kev.
    Bugger - I got it by doing a google search, found the advertiser article listed and it let me see it on clicking BUT it must be a once only as it won't do it again for me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Compliments of the Adelaide Advertiser:

THE South Australian Harness Racing Club has vowed the sport will not die, despite selling 70 per cent of its Globe Derby Park property in an effort to clear millions in debt.

But some longtime members are furious over the move.

The decision to sell land around the racing complex, believed to be for residential housing, was made at the club’s annual general meeting on Tuesday night.

The money raised will also fund improvements including a new training track inside a revamped, all-weather racetrack, and a tavern on Port Wakefield Rd. A timeline for works is unknown.

The current car park, pool, jogging track, grandstand, administration buildings, training track, horse stalls and a hall of fame building will likely be bulldozed.

Former club president Peter Marshall said some members received proposed sale details, to investment company GIC, only hours before the meeting.

“It is a sad day indeed for the South Australian harness racing industry. The horse has bolted now,” he said.

Peak body Harness Racing SA said it was in the dark over the sale.

An HRSA-commissioned report had revealed the racing club enjoyed just one profitable year over the past 11 to 2016, accumulating debts of $4.5m.

Racing club member Des Nolan said the sale was “absolutely disgusting”.

“I’ll cry when (the hall of fame) is bulldozed,” he said.

SAHRC president Richard Miller declined an interview but in a statement said the sale proceeds would clear debt and

“invest in vibrant, modern facilities” to “encourage people to return to harness racing”.

“The sale of this excess land would be a game changer for Globe Derby Park and we are well advanced in achieving a positive result,” he said.

“We strongly believe this is the best way forward for our club and our industry.”

Sports Minister Leon Bignell said it was a matter for HRSA to sort out.

GIC was unable to provide comment before deadline.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread