Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eastman pleads guilty

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    HRV clearly think people can change as Glenn Douglas has gone from this

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/harness-...4f174711618498

To being a mentor for Bendigo Training Centre students

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=33702
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-24-2017 at 02:55 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I love the 1,2,3 count and you're out

I would go a little tougher

If the first count/offence is major MAJOR then you get 10yrs

Two MAJOR offences and you do not get a third chance
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal gumnut will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Danny O'Brien
    I continue to be saddened by the suspicions I have about certain stables coming true. The old story, if it seems too good to be true it's probably not true. Nobody's luck extends to the point whereby every horse they present to the races win or are very competitive however some trainers enjoy this incredible luck. These trainers always seem to make it into steward reports under the headings of positive swabs. Owners support these trainers who have incredible lucky runs. Every owner wants to see their horses win good races. Without owners trainers cant survive. Hence my solution to the epidemic of trainers using illicit substances on horses to improve performance, to attract owners and increase their numbers: Ban the horse which returns a positive swab for 12 months. Owners with a nice 2 year old wont send the horse to a trainer under suspicion. Imagine the owners nightmares while awaiting the results of swabs taken from their horse. Nightmares such as every time they look out in their yard and see a horse they spent good money on running around the paddock unable to race for 12 months, every time they turn on sky racing a see a horse win a big race that their horse beat in a trial and the worst of all - facing their friends.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Some good points there Gumnut. Taking something out of the hip pocket always hurts, made even worse if your uninjured best horse is not racing for a period of time.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Interesting thoughts Danny O'Brien (real name?)
    Such a measure could of course deter some people from ownership
    I don't think it could ever happen because it would end up with endless litigation by owners against trainers and authorities
    There is also possibly a greater risk of outsider nobbling - the unscrupulous would have a large window in which to produce a positive in some talented opposition because they know that a positive will put them out for a year
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal gumnut will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Danny O'Brien
    This is reflective of how much the industry relies on the big names. I live in Ararat, half hour from "the Gap'. I have had harness horses all my life. My father had harness racing horses and now my son Leroy is a licensed trainer and driver. I apologise for having to introduce myself but I would expect a person commenting on local harness racing to be aware of the local participants.
    The comments you made are relevant but what is new. People are being deterred from owning a harness horse due to the poor public impression currently. Owners and trainers are involved in litigation, Luke McCarthy and my name sake from the gallopers. Nobling is something out of ongoing stewards inquiries for as long as racing has been. First line of defence, "someone got to my horse". "Must have been the feed" etc. I am proposing something new to the industry. Anyone have a better suggestion?
    I apologise for hijacking Larry's post. I am new to this caper and would have started a new post if I knew how. Banning horses and trainers is something I am passionate about and will continue to use any available forum to rally support for this.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Don't get your nickers in a knot Danny. I just thought the fact that you have an infamous namesake rather funny in relation to this matter.
    Why do I need to know all the local participants to have an opinion?
    A while back I kept a database of every trainer that won in Victoria so no doubt I have recorded the O'Brien name many times
    Thankfully we do not need to know the length and breadth of every subject we talk about in life
    Did you know me before you recently discovered this forum?

If you don't think I should be running this forum that is fair enough but stick with us and just like me - you might find yourself running the forum if everybody leaves just after you joined LOL

Now that I have got that off my chest lets try again
    Let's also listen to everyone from those new to the sport this week to the rusted on

You have certainly done nothing wrong by putting your post in the Larry thread and if you want to start a new thread in future you just click on Post New Thread

Believe me I too have decried people supporting known offenders. (just this week in fact)
    You say my comments are relevant but not new - that does not make them wrong either
    How are you going to get newbies into syndicates if down the track they find their horse suspended for 12 months for something they did not do
    Imagine the word of mouth recommendation they are going to give the industry

As I said in post 11, I am all for slamming the offender as the way forward

Nobbling will always be a defence but my devious mind thinks that under your system it could actually come back in vogue as criminal types, who would do anything to get an edge, would see the reward as not just seeing the opposition forced to change stable BUT eliminated for 12 months

I am going to warble on a bit now

I do not know a lot of people in the industry, maybe you need to have the time and inclination to be a participant for that to happen, for other than on this forum, I do not find harness people to be particularly friendly. I am a talker despite being pretty deaf and I will initiate conversations when people at least make eye contact. I have only never had three people initiate any conversation with me at any harness meeting I have ever attended - 2 chaps sitting by the coffee and donut outlet at Melton and we talked about how good the fishing is up here (after they told me the coffee lady would be back in a minute). The other was a HRV employee who initiated conversation after a David Martin briefing at Stawell where I had a bit to say. That is from hundreds of meetings attended (90% of the time on my own)

Maybe I will have to try wearing deodorant or stop looking so scary - that thing on the side of my head is only a cochlear - I am not Herman Munster

New Year's Resolution suggestion for all the Harness Racing industry - talk to someone you do not know at every meeting you attend. What do you think?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Hey Kev..You want me to put that post in the "introduce yourself" board??!!!!!
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    This iris from another website.
    "Larry Eastman, a legend of Victorian harness racing who just last year was awarded a Harness Racing Australia Meritorious Award, was charged by police in a corruption case involving illegal stomach tubing of horses and gambling".

Me: Should these awards be taken off him I think the answer is yes and barred for life.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Hey Kev..You want me to put that post in the "introduce yourself" board??!!!!!
    Merry Christmas
    Yeah - I think you would make a good sole moderator

and Merry Christmas everyone
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread