Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passing of Russell Roberts

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Passing of Russell Roberts

here have been few more influential owners in the game than Russell Roberts.

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=35856

With the Perth Inter just completed, and Russell's passing, I might put pen to paper (or thumbs to the keyboard) about the 1982 Inter Dominion won by Rhetts Law. I'd love to hear a recording of Russell's acceptance speech; I can't remember him even mentioning Rhetts Law but he had plenty to say about his old champ Pure Steel.

A very "hands-on" owner, Roberts was a harness racing forerunner to Lloyd Williams though on a much smaller scale.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I remember well the "E-S-E" incident featuring Pure Steel, it was only then most people began to understand just how "hands on" an owner he was and in those days he appeared to be a trailblazer for the "boundary pushers"

a typical Pure Steel run in the 1978 Miracle Mile..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXObwKQe9NQ
    Last edited by Danno; 12-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Yep, hands-on all right. Steelo, as great as he became, was a notorious knee-knocker as a youngster. The ID Final in Adelaide was only his 19th race start and Roberts cracked it with Fred Kersley after he ran second (and was never going to run past Carclew anyway IMO). Fred had done an incredible job getting the horse to what he had become but that meant little to Roberts, who took the horse and started the never ending carousel of trainers for Steelo.

Jack Retzlaff, Steven Shinn (don't think he ever drove him again after dropping his whip and being beaten in a photo by Markovina in the inaugural Aust. Pacing C'ship at Harold Park), Teddy Demmler (In his own right, I think), Phil Coulson, I think (would have been interesting watching Phil being told how to train the horse) through to Mark Roberts, Russell's son.

Mark Roberts was conspicuous by his absence from the 1982 ID Final's presentation after Rhetts Law won. Legend has it he was watching proceedings from behind the sight board in the back straight at Gloucester Park. Can anybody name another Inter-Dominion winning trainer who was NOT to be seen with a beaming smile at the trophy presentation?

He may have been sharing a bucket of water with old Steelo who was unplaced in the Consolation; his final race start and a sad way to end a magnificent career.

Memo to Alan Parker - Pure Steel won THREE A G Hunter Cups, not two. Add those and a Miracle Mile to his four consecutive WA Pacing Cups and you have a horse that was an out-and-out champion in any era.

Junior Member Foal Nothat will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    James Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    here have been few more influential owners in the game than Russell Roberts.

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=35856

With the Perth Inter just completed, and Russell's passing, I might put pen to paper (or thumbs to the keyboard) about the 1982 Inter Dominion won by Rhetts Law. I'd love to hear a recording of Russell's acceptance speech; I can't remember him even mentioning Rhetts Law but he had plenty to say about his old champ Pure Steel.

A very "hands-on" owner, Roberts was a harness racing forerunner to Lloyd Williams though on a much smaller scale.
    thanks for the link and information and indeed... very hands-on!!!

+ Reply to Thread