Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The plight of one young trainer

Member Filly allanjg will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    allan gee
    and 2....sorry danny,but your initials ar`nt e.m. or c.a. and a few more.i would like to add but you have covered it all.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Of course there are other issues affecting young people becoming involved in the sport.

Out here we put numerous young people through trainer, driver and stablehand courses each year. Some will never become trainers, but those who might like to face what I see as a challenge once they leave the college.

Property prices are prohibitive, and the lack of dedicated training facilities is a real issue. While there might be a box or two on course, there is no jog track and the main track has limited availability due to regular greyhound activity.

It might not be a big issue in the overall industry in Victoria but I have evidence it has cost us people from continuing on down the path of becoming a hobby trainer. This is before we even raise the subject of less and less local racing product year on year. People with work committments are not interested in basing at Cranbourne, but a community stable at Warragul or further east would increase horse numbers in the region.

If this scenario affected a dozen people here, and was repeated three or four times across the state, it starts to make a big impact on the base of the pyramid.

PS there are over 60 individual Gippsland based greyhound trainers competing at the Traralgon meeting tomorrow night!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am really embarrassed now as I have just read the article on Leroy and the team's greatest success

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/A-1-...oy%20O%27Brien

and realized I had read it before - the references to mum sort of stick in one's mind LOL

That was less than 7 months ago so just call me Alzheimers Kev
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding David Martin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Martin
    Thanks for posting that story Kevin. It rings a bell with me too now, and it's pleasing that HRV's Cody wrote the story about Leroy's success in May 2017 that was picked up by Harness Link. A quick search also identified a RSN 'Gait Speed' interview with HRV personnel and Leroy on 25 Oct 2016 in which he discusses Crown Dream's win at Melton. I hope that once he's finishing plumbing work in Katherine that Leroy will come back to harness racing in Vic.

I'd also like to comment on the view that HRV apply favourable treatment to certain people (e.g 'c.a.'). I can't speak for what may or may not have happened prior to 2017, but I do know that in the last 12 months we have sought to apply the level playing field approach that we all want. At times we are also criticised for not cutting through to mainstream media, and that's one way where we will work with more well known names such as Chris Alford (e.g. his 6000 winners, etc.). Unfortunately, some may see that as favourable treatment, when in reality it's all about getting mainstream coverage and recognition for our sport.

The other aspect worth sharing is the fact that HRV's Marketing and Communications team is quite small, particularly when compared to other codes in Victoria. That means they are not always going to identify or be able to cover every story that the industry would like us to report on. Can I request that if people have a story that they feel should be told about someone they know, then please work with HRV by making contact with Cody or Michael.

Thanks, David

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    HRV would seem to be very lucky in procuring your services, I like the fact that you appear ready and able to engage with the rank and file within the industry. My very wise mother-in-law used to say 'paper never refused ink yet' so will watch with interest any developments in Victoria and then perhaps start a petition to get you to swim across the ditch and stem the slide here?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    HRV would seem to be very lucky in procuring your services, I like the fact that you appear ready and able to engage with the rank and file within the industry. My very wise mother-in-law used to say 'paper never refused ink yet' so will watch with interest any developments in Victoria and then perhaps start a petition to get you to swim across the ditch and stem the slide here?
    I totally agree Jan. It makes sense to engage with the rank and file and a forum such as this is a fairly easy way to do so and yet few have.

We have had input from Vic's Cody Winnell for 3 years while NSW's Adam Fairly was a good contributor between 2011-14 but then not only stopped dead but strangely deleted virtually all his posts
    The (ex) NSW Chairman of Stewards is/was a reader as he sometimes clarified things via email to me

Issues discussed can sometimes be controversial but our aim is to make the forum an enjoyable place for people who love harness racing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    David Martin
    Thanks Jan,

Nice to hear from you in NZ. I always enjoy visiting there, having seen Christchurch for the NZ Cup recently, and prior work visits to Wellington and even a 3 month stint based in Auckland. Lovely part of the world.

To this role and others before it, I take the view that everyone I interact with has skills and knowledge that I don't have, and I hopefully bring some complimentary skills/knowlege that will be of value to the organisation/industry. That makes it easy to be genuine when I say, 'we're all in this together'. Most of the improvements we've made in the last year have occurred as a result of listening to the industry, then quickly testing and implementing ideas. Some haven't worked, but many more have and that's contributed to an improved performance in recent months. I summarised this in the recent Notice to Industry: http://www.hrv.org.au/general/from-the-ceos-desk/

Happy to hear your views too!

Cheers, David

Junior Member Foal gumnut will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Danny O'Brien
    Thanks David for your reply.
    Even though you addressed little that has been raised at least you tried. What you added is well and good but what is your board going to do about the mounting concerns from the people that have been crying out for a level playing field. I understand that you are having a red hot go but the arsenic shambles, the reduced stakemoney, the continued HRV support for the limited few, professional drivers driving totally poorly and seemingly continued boat races have been occurring under your watch. I know it is easy to jump on the high moral ground but if you systematically addressed each and every of the concerns I raised on this forum the confidence in HRV would be immeasurably, why, because for once in my lifetime HRV would be displaying a value they promote, transparency. I am on holidays at present and I will phone you when I get home but please inform this forum of any progress.
    Thank you

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I am also one who does not like issues being "glossed over" with waffle. These issues don't get fixed because authorities wont act with any certitude because it takes courage, They are great at quoting betting figures and how may races at certain prizemoney are scheduled for which meetings but that is about it from where I sit. I am not sure they truly understand the issues that are being mentioned either.

Accountancy/bookkeeping is just looking at spreadsheets, blind Freddy can do that. It solves none of the issues that are generally being raised by participants. I have hardly seen a post in any forum or any discussion I have had at the races where a trainer/owner or driver brings up online betting or any other statistical data relating to that as an issue that concerns them or their capacity to race, but betting seems to be the be all and end all of any administrators input. Part of this post can also be applied to another thread regarding tiered racing.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Real Name
    David Martin
    Hi Danny,

Not sure if you attended any of the public forums earlier this year, but if you had, I think you will have seen a level of transparency not previously displayed. From day one, I have made myself available at tracks across the state, and on forums such as this to respond to issues, criticism, etc., in order to provide transparency and engage industry participants. In regards to stakemoney, the fact is that HRV has increased stakemoney to exceed $40m in 2017/18, and at the end of October, HRV had paid out $700k more than at the same time last year. In Sept/Oct, HRV introduced a $750 winners bonus only applicable for $3500 and $5000 races, which are more heavily won by non-professional trainers/drivers compared to higher stakes races. We have programmed races purely for trainers with 2 or less wins in the prior season, and 2.02 mile rate races for slower/older horses to give them and their connections a chance to win. All initiatives aimed to level the playing field.

In regards to your points about integrity matters, we sought and obtained government support for a $3.1m injection of funding over two years so that we could increase post race swabs, veterinarians, stewards, invetigative officers, etc. Prior to my arrival, the Board had already commenced this journey and various matters before the courts are reflective of this increased focus. If you or others have specific information, then I would encourage you to report that via methods available as state on this weblink: http://www.hrv.org.au/integrity/repo...ious-activity/

Happy to hear from you when you're back from holidays to address any matters you feel haven't been fully addressed here.

Kind Regards,
    David

+ Reply to Thread