Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Victorian Interdominion

aussiebreno
    So the heats will be Ballarat and Cranbourne. Not venturing far from Melton. If you're giving up running the heats at the Metropolitan track there needs to be benefits to it. Benefits of getting a different group of people to the track greatly diminished by choosing those two locations.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Cranbourne is an interesting one. It takes the best horses to a whole new market in Melbourne's fastest growing area. Promoted properly, ie, starting TODAY, it could be a winner.

My biggest concern: I hate tracks inside of a gallops track as a "specatacle", particularly at night. And Ballarat? Sprint lane, anyone?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    All the best to both clubs and harness racing in Victoria.

Not dismissing the importance of year one of three rotating years, but other clubs will have opportunities.

Ballarat has the midweek round, the same traffic snarl as heading to Melton and draws on the same demographics as Melton?
    Ballarat would have been $1.04 and Cranbourne with the population growth thing in the red as well and the two localities geographically opposite. I wonder which club was picked first.
    Hosting the tri codes day would have been a feature in Cranbourne's submission but how successful that has been in recruiting people to harness racing, especially with the track inside the gallops track, not sure.

Did Ballarat's submission include they are open to putting in a sprint lane? If so, and it is installed for the I D, can they revert? Personally I'd like no sprint lane. Considering the class of horse and drivers, could be more of a spectacle. I guess if the uninitiated newcomers would be confused without a sprint lane, that confusion would be year in, year out with the Ballarat pacing Cup and other notable, showcase meetings?

Unfortunately, with Melton's track design a sprint lane's a must which influences any thoughts of removing sprint lanes from other tracks. Maybe if we get to profiting from the surrounding land at Melton the scrapers and dozers can take to the Melton track. Oh, but those front runner track records that have done so much for us?! Hope the breeders association has a Melton front runner loading on their Time Pins.

The return of the trotters I D is a good thing, hope NSW and NZ follow suit. Can Vic afford to run both the Southern Star and I D? Without knowing prize money on offer, would an I D trotters final need to nearly self fund, via international punting for example, to support a "perfect run in to the Southern Star" pitch from some highly influential trotting owners?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Is Harnesslink the only place this news is found?

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...er-Dom-returns

Breno, you have to understand that HRV are trying to win back the heavily populated but neglected East of Melbourne. (and it is still a good hike from Melton)

A track inside a gallops track however - NO NO NO (I would rather they raced on the grass, except they would be a mile away down the back)

I am assuming Ballarat is now getting a sprint lane
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Is Harnesslink the only place this news is found?

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...er-Dom-returns

Breno, you have to understand that HRV are trying to win back the heavily populated but neglected East of Melbourne. (and it is still a good hike from Melton)

A track inside a gallops track however - NO NO NO (I would rather they raced on the grass, except they would be a mile away down the back)

I am assuming Ballarat is now getting a sprint lane
    If people in central Melbourne want to go to the Inter heats they can go to Melton. They can now go to Cranbourne as well so its the same demographic. Ballarat and Melton very close also. There is significant crossover with the the same demographic are getting to go to two rounds of heats whether that be Ballarat/Melton or Cranbourne/Melton.

If you had just one of Ballarat or Cranbourne perhaps you could get away with it, but the key thing about opening heats up to other tracks was to give the opportunity for a different group of people to see the top horses, and the selection of Ballarat and Cranbourne doesn't really open it up to a different lot of people like locations further away from Melton would have allowed.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    If people in central Melbourne want to go to the Inter heats they can go to Melton. They can now go to Cranbourne as well so its the same demographic. Ballarat and Melton very close also. There is significant crossover with the the same demographic are getting to go to two rounds of heats whether that be Ballarat/Melton or Cranbourne/Melton.

If you had just one of Ballarat or Cranbourne perhaps you could get away with it, but the key thing about opening heats up to other tracks was to give the opportunity for a different group of people to see the top horses, and the selection of Ballarat and Cranbourne doesn't really open it up to a different lot of people like locations further away from Melton would have allowed.
    I guess Bendigo and Shepparton which are actually in Central Victoria and really in the country should get in the line for the next round in 3 years time.

BUT now we have the trotters as well as pacers and a real Interdominion Series, which is the one that you refer to when checking out champion horses, and champion drivers. This might bring the crowds !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post

I thought you were a Sydney-sider Breno
    You need to understand that the demographic centre of Melbourne is not the CBD - it is Glen Iris which is 25 min to the East, 25 min that you need to add on for them and you would already have read the difficulty of CBD workers/dwellers of getting out of the CBD to Melton (thus the criticism of Melton as our Metro track ), imagine having to get right across it

It gets worse because Glen Iris is just the midpoint - HALF of Melbourne's population is to the east of them THUS making Melton well over an hour away

66% of Victoria's population is in Melbourne - that means 33% of the states pop is in Melbourne to the East of Glen Iris (E, NE, SE). We are talking a couple of million people without even counting Country East who may consider going to Cranbourne if we can get it right

This the demographic that we are targeting - Glen Iris and the East of them who only have to travel half an hour or less to Cranbourne Not over an hour to Melton
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I thought you were a Sydney-sider Breno
    You need to understand that the demographic centre of Melbourne is not the CBD - it is Glen Iris which is 25 min to the East, 25 min that you need to add on for them and you would already have read the difficulty of CBD workers/dwellers of getting out of the CBD to Melton (thus the criticism of Melton as our Metro track ), imagine having to get right across it

It gets worse because Glen Iris is just the midpoint - HALF of Melbourne's population is to the east of them THUS making Melton well over an hour away

66% of Victoria's population is in Melbourne - that means 33% of the states pop is in Melbourne to the East of Glen Iris (E, NE, SE). We are talking a couple of million people without even counting Country East who may consider going to Cranbourne if we can get it right

This the demographic that we are targeting - Glen Iris and the East of them who only have to travel half an hour or less to Cranbourne Not over an hour to Melton
    How far from Ballarat, Melton, Glen Iris and Cranbourne is Stawell, Bendigo, Charlton, Mildura, Cobram, Shepparton, Echuca, Horsham, Maryborough, Kilmore, Wangaratta, Terang etc.

If you want Cranbourne thats ok, but you cant have Ballarat. Needed to be spaced out more.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I hear what you are saying but Ballarat is a reasonable distance from many, many places - even West Melbourne

If we want a commercial success, can we afford to be too far from Melbourne's 4M pop ?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I hear what you are saying but Ballarat is a reasonable distance from many, many places - even West Melbourne

If we want a commercial success, can we afford to be too far from Melbourne's 4M pop ?
    Then just run the other set at Melton rather than Ballarat if you don't want to go too far from 4m pop. I would probably prefer all heats be at the Metro track, but if the idea is to run heats away from the Metro track to bring in a greater audience, then you need to widen the horizons.

If the idea is "We need to run heats AWAY from Melton because reasons" I would have thought you run the heats AWAY from Melton and not select the two closest tracks to Melton.

+ Reply to Thread