Roll With Joe

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Threaded View

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    It is unfortunate that Harness Racing has it would seem cheats.
    When purses are lowish, and the sport isn't what is was years ago, temptation to 'earn' extra money is present. Mind you as my nana would say there is ( was then) lots of skulduggery going on at the Trots. Drivers whose turn it is not to win, can move to the rails and become trapped there without too much scrutiny. This hasn't changed a lot today. So bookmaker records can be reviewed, or tab records. But there are hidden bookies and all that takes resources to review all this, resources probably not sufficient to do much,
    and even if there is a possible issue, proof can be very difficult, and resources to pursue this are thin. So authorities probably look at things like dumb things done by dumb people. The Cobalt issue in racing industry took a long time to delve into. As I watch the Trots on video, unlike the past, they are quite good quality so placing stewards around the track has probably almost disappeared.

I'm wondering whether mobile starts facilitate the cheating, you know 'it's not my turn tonight.. I'm second favourite and getting to the rails and getting trapped in, is not hard to do. In other words, money is made by backing other horses. I'm actually not a conspiracy theorist, I think it would be a rare thing, but the temptation is there. I guess if there is instead, doping going on, and this is becoming more common, that should be the focus. it's scientific , so if you are caught, you're done, proof isn't too hard, you'd think. So if that is pretty tight, you have to look at other issues, like handicapping. To make it more equal, that is to facilitate a greater opportunity for lesser horses to win races, therefore more money, reintro of standing start handicapping, is not only a great look, it will mean that lesser horses will win more races. Well,that's my intuition, and I'm not 'eating' harness racing
    like so many of you who have outstanding experience and knowledge of the sport. That doesn't mean you don't have mobiles, you reduce them a little initially, then reduce them more. You also have to give trainers good lead time to do this as it will take time for trainers to retrain their horses. Standing starts can also facilitate cheating but you tighten things up here and there to help. Much more importantly, big races should be handicaps so we can see how good a horse is to come from 10, 20, 30, 40. I hark back to my beloved Halwes who was so good, he'd win from anywhere, but was arresting to see horses winning in these handicaps, but sometimes no matter how good they were, they dont win...all this makes me want to go to the Trots particularly to watch handicapped horses in big races. At present, it's um ' same, same, same to go to the Trots.
    I recognise that standing starts need management by having stewards there to supervise all that. But I'd be first to put my hand up to be trained ( whs is always an issue but today people are more aware, you just choose wisely. I'd go into a roster, I'd also be happy to a manager of that ..All this means..' inclusion, something very much missing in many walks of life today. You also get more people at the Trots. However, you probably are aware I am very cynical about CEOs . They don't care, they say they listen, but I doubt any of them would ever consider what I have written here. Such a shame, as listening to others is so important. Responding though, it the real test for CEOs.. they don't
    Last edited by Halwes; 05-27-2020 at 02:22 PM.