I believe everyone has sky racing 2 now. If i am correct the coverage on Sunday may be a sign of the future ( it may have been our choice).
To draw a comparison with cricket I believe we need three brands of racing:
1. Our 20/20 cricket - short course racing during social punting hotspots like Friday afternoon/early evening to compete with doglotto. Drivers to wear saddlecloth colours. Bonuses for times plus lucky winner draw, plus,plus
2.Our One-day cricket- sprint and middle distance racing( the bred and butter races) held at current scheduling.
3. Our test matches- the classic races from sprints to longer distances (not for the faint hearted) held in warmer weather. These races would be a mixture of “WFA’ ( with mares drawn inside colts and geldings) and handicaps. Note handicaps not standing starts- in the 1950’s people were experimenting with mobile handicapping mechanisms. Surely with lasers,LEDs,robotics,drones and other technology we don’t know about we can find a mechanism that works. At Corbiewood in Scotland I saw 20 metre handicaps behind the mobile but it would not pass the Australian need to be precise test.