Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    I was watching one of the races that was implicated in the NZ arrests today and I realised harness racing is just so ... dull. Compared to the Gallops' vibrant silks, grass and fashion, harness racing looks like it was filmed with a potato and aired through a black and white TV with a bent aerial.

How can you get excited about something that looks so goddam DATED? Millennials want flashy, new, bright, tech forward entertainment. Not some old man rambling off a bunch of horses going round and round in grey and off white.
    And Australia doesn't even have as many close ups as NZ does (thanks to their split screen). I have always said that the gallop's green grass is a much better backdrop than grit.
    The gallops without all the gear let you see that horses are beautiful animals but close-ups of our trotters should be able to come close. Some stables have introduced more colour like the Tritton's fluoro pink
    I have found watching Vic races in a much higher definition (and assisted by my computer screen being smaller and me closer) a big improvement on Sky
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    As someone on a NA forum wrote of harness racing in its heyday: "harness racing was the light and colour of an otherwise dreary black and white world, nowadays people live everyday in a technicolor fantasy world and it's hard to compete"

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Harness Racing directors and controllers have been asleep at the wheel for far too long in my opinion, I always thought harness was the better spectacle as compared to the gallops when watched live, but I would have to agree that on tv it looks dull and pretty boring and takes an eternity to complete. What to do about it!!..well my thoughts are that we need some straight line racing over distances from 1000mt upwards..maybe a J type track for the long distances..Give every horse of the same ability a chance and not be blocked at any stage. Drivers to have flashing lights on their helmets and activated at the 600mt mark,,blue if their drive is travelling well in running..red if it's struggling..least its something the punter can see(haha). Some computer graphics guy who can make the colour of the track anything he want when viewed on tv..Yea put some more colour into the game!!..at least try some bloody thing than what we're got now..just deteriorating away..no interest from all my mates who only bet on the Gallops or the dogs..makes me feel sad to see the way it's all going..surely we can help ourselves!!..Was really interested in the read from Mildura Harness Club and their implementation of harness racing onto the school there..that classes were going on outings to see the industry at work..from trainers and drivers to how the club operates and race night procedures..something every club in Australia should be looking at. Well if nothing else a good laugh but hey!! lets try to get the punters interested again before it's too late!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    For some reason in my mind I see trots in a straight line over 1000m being more of a spectacle than if you ran a lap of a 1000m oval for example.

Maybe more moves, horses spread across track rather than being held back to avoid getting caught deep on the bends?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't know - I always find the straight six races at the gallops the least interesting especially the camera work
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Beltane will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Jones
    One way to get rid of the sprint lane.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Remember the rumors years ago about a 1 mile straight track being built at Maryborough !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I think it’s got merit

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yes, and if I recall it was to be solely for TV viewing and wagering, no spectator facilities.

Be like watching the straights at Menangle only longer.
    Last edited by Dot; 09-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    different generations with different expectations, the "trots" spectacle factor unique in the Melbourne Showgrounds days, as a teenager I raced on the tight circuits of Newcastle, Maitland and the most difficult of all in our part of the world, Tamworth, the crowds were ten deep right around the circumference of the track, the stands were packed......there was zero televised runs of these races and very limited betting opportunities, because the TAB up the road ( or in the next town) shut at 6.00pm.

things have changed, as they will, however ,that said, the "racing channels" give our game a very poor representation, almost criminal to be honest and forthright, so close to criminal it demands investigation, but who has heard a peep out our administration? the complaints continue to fall on apparently deaf ears with the result the further demise of our exposure and with it potential earnings.

A number of people have been poached by our main competitor in the last 30 years that have been sorely missed by us and reaped rewards for their new employers........when are we going to acknowledge the ability of leaders when we find them rather than let them go in the face of competition!?

+ Reply to Thread