Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I couldn't find it under Tracks
    Is it 500m?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Went over for a look. Told not as big a crowd as the 1st one but big enough to create some noise and atmosphere.

Probably not the best horses on show but don't think anyone cared. Certainly showcased the skills of all the drivers that participated. Lance Justice showing exactly what was needed winning the first 2 races. Believe Wayne Hills Dad drove there as did his Grandfather so was cool to see him get a win there too.

Spoke to lots of people who used to go there before the track was closed. Couple that were there when Cardigan Bay won the Interdominion final back in 1963 in front of 45,000 people. Brought back some memories of my early days involvement going to the Showgrounds in Melbourne too.

Taken out to Gawler Friday. Went to the dog track to watch a couple (dog track nearly same size as Wayville!). Saw the new trots track there. Told they start official races in March next year. Track (1000m) looks great. Only a short drive from Adelaide so hopefully it kicks on.

Hope also they do another Wayville next year. Or even more Wayville's next year. Maybe limit it to drivers who know the track to lower the chances of someone getting hurt.

There was a modern timing board inside the track at Wayville. Showing the quarter mile splits as they do. It seemed a bit out of place (the 1/4 splits were virtually lap times) given the times meant nothing. Contrasted with the old stands and buildings that remain. Guess served as a reminder of what the sport has become and the obsession with times.

Me... I just an old fella that loves the sport and have followed it for years. If asked to choose between today's version and the one of yesteryear... give me the Wayville's and the spirit of Cardigan Bay any day.

Junior Member Foal boondocks will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Browne
    Occupation
    Retired
    Four Group races- leader- behind leader, quinella all of them.
    Underwhelming, as an American in the 90’s who studied the industry and made many great
    suggestions wrote,”...harness racing is not interesting enough.” i wonder if any new people were attracted to the sport tonight.
    The racing code that was the best live spectacle, is now the most boring on screen. So little change of positions in races. Drivers now now how to rate their horses on bigger tracks so coming round the field is extremely difficult.

In the spirit of brainstorming how can we make racing more interesting ?No right or wrong just creative thinking. Sometimes the an idea that initially looks ridiculous works out the most workable.In the spirit:
    - prize money for the horse in front at the bell
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-02-2020 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Highlights done by Messenger

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hunter Cup night
    Well noted Terry but it was actually six Group races leader-behind leader quinella
    Some may say the track/weather contributed but I agree
    The racing code that was the best live spectacle, is now the most boring on screen.

I am moving these posts to a brainstorming thread
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    One idea specific to Melton. Would lengthening the track to 1140m or 1240m - adding 50/100m to each straight but keeping the bends the same so that the horses are not much further away, make it less leader dominated?

The other question might be - what type of convert are admin/we looking for? A punter could be converted by a collect - are predictable tracks actually what they like
    From what I had refreshed in my mind at Stawell recently - the attendee is probably there for the overall package but I have to admit, it may even be more the offtrack, so that is what is important. In which case, close proximity to the horses (small track?) or simply great video coverage of the race may be part of this (but secondary to comfort, dining etc etc)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think sprint lanes and all mobile starts have taken away the excitement .
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    LOL, just realized that saying the attendee may be there for the offtrack experience says that the ontrack experience is probably in big trouble
    Mind you, I am not saying that you can afford to neglect the offtrack experience - there is a lot of time between races

AND Terry is not actually talking about on track he is talking about harness being boring on screen - so little change of positions in races

It has to be said that this can also be said of the gallops until they approach the home turn. Maybe looking at horses galloping on green grass with little more than a jockey on their back just looks more interesting/aesthetically pleasing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I was listening to the RSN carnival digital radio station last night and the coverage was excellent. Lots of interviews and non stop information and just the Melton races. More of this would be good. Trots vision needs to be more like that.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trots Vision was like that last night - once I tuned in for the first Gp race, I just left it on - there was only a briefish (new word - not type of fish) period between races with no sound but we had a fixed shot inside the horse stalls

Vision had Hamilton, Graham, Bonnington and Auber
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread