Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Trots Vision just constantly freezes for me while sky works fine. Auber is excellent but I couldn't listen to the other 3 !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    They're all fine by me, I am guessing Gareth Hall was one of the mainstays of RSN's coverage, he and all his "mates" used to irk me so I guess you will never please all of the people all of the time

Getting back to the reason why I/Terry have resurrected this thread ie How do we make the racing product more attractive

I don't know about giving prizemoney to the leader at the bell, it seems a bit gimmicky and would have to involve a certain % being returned to the winner for every position you slipped down the field or else a runner could make a ridiculous/suicidal run to the bell
    Like I said, no mid race moves does not seem to be a problem for the gallops but we do want exciting finishes so despite my love of small tracks for attendee excitement - I would consider longer straights ie long skinny tracks
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think the best way to improve the sport is to get people back to the tracks. Of course that is not easy.
    I spent some time at some NSW clubs over the holidays (RSL and Bowling clubs), I noticed that the main way that they pack these clubs out on certain nights is by having members draws and raffles .
    The members draws have a cash prize that jackpots each week until it goes off, often going over $10,000. A members number is drawn out and they must be in the club at the time to claim the prize.
    In the lead up to the main draw they draw raffle prizes (meat trays, fuel vouchers) . It $5 to enter the raffle. Prizes are from sponsors, local businesses etc.
    This brings in people who have a meal, play the pokies, drink and stay for the musical entertainment. It has been working well for years and attracts a lot of retired people who have plenty of disposable income.
    Why cant trotting clubs try similar things , a raffle after each race and a members draw before the last race . Member must be on course and have at least one betting ticket.

Got to be worth a try. HRV could put in $1000 to the members draw each meeting.
    Don't die wondering !

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I think the best way to improve the sport is to get people back to the tracks. Of course that is not easy.
    I spent some time at some NSW clubs over the holidays (RSL and Bowling clubs), I noticed that the main way that they pack these clubs out on certain nights is by having members draws and raffles .
    The members draws have a cash prize that jackpots each week until it goes off, often going over $10,000. A members number is drawn out and they must be in the club at the time to claim the prize.
    In the lead up to the main draw they draw raffle prizes (meat trays, fuel vouchers) . It $5 to enter the raffle. Prizes are from sponsors, local businesses etc.
    This brings in people who have a meal, play the pokies, drink and stay for the musical entertainment. It has been working well for years and attracts a lot of retired people who have plenty of disposable income.
    Why cant trotting clubs try similar things , a raffle after each race and a members draw before the last race . Member must be on course and have at least one betting ticket.

Wagga has a Members draw!

Only thing I'd change is members draw needs to be at a random point in between race 1 and the last so people don't just rock up for an hour.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post

I reckon all the above needs to happen to make the offtrack attractive BUT it isn't exactly getting people there for the racing, sure they may become fans and it should be happening BUT what can we do to make people want to come to view the trots

One small thing - should the Hunter Cup be one week later so that it does not clash with the Tennis Finals weekend
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I reckon all the above needs to happen to make the offtrack attractive BUT it isn't exactly getting people there for the racing, sure they may become fans and it should be happening BUT what can we do to make people want to come to view the trots

One small thing - should the Hunter Cup be one week later so that it does not clash with the Tennis Finals weekend

Tennis changed their dates this year - Hunter Cup has been that date for some time. Not saying it should not be looked at though.

HRV does not have any members and did not provide a members facility at Melton (although VHRC (owners association) is working on it and has been for some time). Those sorts of things take commitment to arrange and run every week but food for thought - I will raise it at a meeting.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Not likely to be able to put Hunter Cup back as the Miracle Mile lead ups begin this weekend but if it is to be our equivalent of The Melbourne Cup maybe it would be better a weak earlier even
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Time between races needs to be reduced. I don't care who's fault it is/who controls it - just change it
    If we want people coming to the trots we have to supply more action and less breaks, right now it is the equivalent of a football match in reverse ie imagine that the current football Quarters were the breaks in play and the time currently allocated for breaks, quarter time, half time etc were the only times the players played - that is pretty much what we provide
    If a stable has consecutive runners they need the staff to separate duties, there may be more times when the trainer will not be able to be the trainer/driver - it is all doable

On Friday it is mostly 40 minutes between races at Horsham, I would be better off driving to the Echuca Cup where it is only 30 minutes

Today I went to Ararat gallops and although it was mostly 35 mins between races, with the mounting yard out the front and the high strung thoroughbreds there was plenty of action - there really did not seem that much time betweeen one lot leaving the mounting yard and the next lot arriving. With the standardbreds we have the advantage of them warming up on the track but it doesn't have the theatre of the thoroughbreds close up in the mounting yard and on returning. We don't have the large allotment of time where the horses are in the mounting yard so we don't need 35 minutes
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Dear oh Dear Kev, bit frustrated are we? gotta say "the theatre of the thoroughbreds close up in the mounting yard and on returning" got me thinking just a little bit about what that actually looks like and how does one replicate it and for what purpose? We ain't the gallops and we never will be thank God.

Off this we also need to put more staff on to get races turned around more quickly..and it's all "doable"..... well of course it is mate but have we not thought about the master of everything racing??

I hope you are having a good lie down mate.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Dear oh Dear Kev, bit frustrated are we? gotta say "the theatre of the thoroughbreds close up in the mounting yard and on returning" got me thinking just a little bit about what that actually looks like and how does one replicate it and for what purpose? We ain't the gallops and we never will be thank God.

Off this we also need to put more staff on to get races turned around more quickly..and it's all "doable"..... well of course it is mate but have we not thought about the master of everything racing??

I hope you are having a good lie down mate.
    I will put it more simply then Dan - their horses look bloody beautiful in the mounting yard

The master of everything racing being the punt? Assuming that to be it, and assuming we want to compete with the doggies and gallops for our share, we will have to think about what makes their products more attractive to Sky/TAB and how to make our product more popular with the public would be part of that

I did have a good night's sleep before seeing this but thank you for caring
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread