+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    If not for the fact we have 2 in it, it would have slipped past me but theres a 1150m race at Bunbury Saturday. The occasional different length of race makes for interesting viewing! Man im excited!

Junior Member Foal boondocks will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Browne
    Occupation
    Retired

I am Excited

Redcliffe have heats 9-16 of their Hot Rods Series this evening. The HRA website form guide for Redcliffe has most of the conditions in the race conditions.
    As a quick guide races are over 947m with a maximum of five starters and there are only five selected drivers for the entire meeting.
    The fastest time in the previous heats is 65.63 and the fastest time overall wins $10000.

Why am i am excited?
    Anecdotally I believe we more or less match the greyhounds in the informed betting market but they kill us in attracting the casual punter. Their format is simple and punters can easily follow their rapid product.
    We need to compete in this market with a quickfire product that is viable during peak times(in betting and visibility). As an aside the 25 minutes between races would give trainers, drivers and staff an earlier finish and an improved quality of life.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I'll tune in thanks to your post Terry.
    65.63 = 1.51.5 MR
    I have to admit that Katie's 1150m race last night was more exciting than many miles that I have seen

ps I notice that Dashing Hannah who set the 1.51.5 is going around in R6 (It is only 20min between most races)
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-10-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: ps
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Another close finish in R1 but they let themselves down by not posting the overall time (important in this series) even though Sky gave them far more latitude than I expected - have to say someone stuffed up
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Only R1 on Sky1 Terry - that is a big downer (to turnover)

Note: They went 64.8 in the last heat
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-11-2020 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Note
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I'll tune in thanks to your post Terry.
    65.63 = 1.51.5 MR
    I have to admit that Katie's 1150m race last night was more exciting than many miles that I have seen

ps I notice that Dashing Hannah who set the 1.51.5 is going around in R6 (It is only 20min between most races)
    While I love to see sprints, you need to see long journey events that demonstate stamina and sprinting combined, you know 3000 metres, where runs are made during those longer journeys... I love to see horses three wide for a lap or too,then death seat, then going strongly to the line hard and still winning.. Menagle is an example where pacing is diluted with so many meetings , nearly every second day.. it dulls the brain..having less meetings and increasing purses may help. But big race scheduling over longer journeys are very exciting.As I keep on saying, I'd travel a long way to see the brilliance and stamina of great horses like beloved Halwes. I'd go to the nsw interdominion if they had some longer journeys.That is what excites me. It's a shame to feel that you like to think you can add good contribution to ' debates ' about the future of pacing, but no one in authority seems ' connected' to the type of thinking I like to put forward. I must admit I didn't like the decision to leave Moonee Valley.. not sure of circumference of track there, but it doesn't matter now.
    Last edited by Halwes; 05-11-2020 at 06:36 PM.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwes View Post
    While I love to see sprints, you need to see long journey events that demonstate stamina and sprinting combined, you know 3000 metres, where runs are made during those longer journeys... I love to see horses three wide for a lap or too,then death seat, then going strongly to the line hard and still winning.. Menagle is an example where pacing is diluted with so many meetings , nearly every second day.. it dulls the brain..having less meetings and increasing purses may help. But big race scheduling over longer journeys are very exciting.As I keep on saying, I'd travel a long way to see the brilliance and stamina of great horses like beloved Halwes. I'd go to the nsw interdominion if they had some longer journeys.That is what excites me
    They have better drug testing these days!

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    They have better drug testing these days!
    I think you are suggesting that Halwes was nobbled... in the all heats he won in the interdomion in the late sixties when he thrashed them all

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwes View Post
    I think you are suggesting that Halwes was nobbled... in the all heats he won in the interdomion in the late sixties when he thrashed them all
    No, just generally speaking.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Nobbled would normally mean to disable a horse to prevent it from winning. Here we are talking about horses being supercharged. In Victoria you can be found guilty of attempting it and still train 3 winners at Bendigo last night
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread