Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Just do away with trotters. Majestuoso would have just got punters banned from the pub for smashing the TV and yelling profanities (if pubs were open). Odds on and hits the front with 20m to go and gallops. Not doing us any favour in battle for punting dollar.

Most of them would be drunk at the pub and not even realise until they scan their ticket. Cant blame everyday person for not wanting to spend another dollar on harness racing if that happens to them.
    Hey Brenno, if racing is closed down again do you think there is a chance they would show those cartoon races that you see in the pubs (cannot think of their correct name) for people to gamble on on the racing channels LOL

What was that rule they brought in about a horse galloping across the line - he kept the race!
    Last edited by Messenger; 03-28-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Hey Brenno, if racing is closed down again do you think there is a chance they would show those cartoon races that you see in the pubs (cannot think of their correct name) for people to gamble on on the racing channels LOL

What was that rule they brought in about a horse galloping across the line - he kept the race!
    Just checked and he did in fact lose the race. Relegated to 3rd. I was about to have an aneurysm about! Despite not agreeing with the rule due to situations like this it is the rule.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just checked and he did in fact lose the race. Relegated to 3rd. I was about to have an aneurysm about! Despite not agreeing with the rule due to situations like this it is the rule.
    You can see why I was confused
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    It would be up to our authorities to hatch a plan to get harness on TV in the Coronavirus interim Terry. One of the biggest problems would be that the Racing/gallops code would object and expect to be given first consideration. They can race at night as much as us nowadays and they already have their own Ch78 channel which is not going to standby and let us use 7, 7Two or 7Mate before them. Both codes would have to convince programmers that they would out-rate an old footy game or an old movie
    I understand but CEOs and Boards in general have a terrible record of being reactionary when it comes to ‘ management” and planning .. look at banks as one example .. They collect big money and wait for things to occur, then blame their staff .. money laundering by criminals was one of them . They are not innovative . I think the CEO and Board of Harness have an opportunity..there is enough thoroughbred horse racing on tv already ... i dont think they’d try. It’s a shame when we have this great opportunity to try very hard to get harness live late April till end of May say, or later . Do you know any execs or Board members at Harness Racing?

aussiebreno
    How do we incorporate pace makers?

Admittedly Gp1s but I have watched every single race on Sky today and the best two races all day were Verry Ellegant in the Tancred at Rosehill and the Gold Crown.

Dancetaria made a mid race move and set a hot pace in the Tancred, and Mach Dan softened up Lochinvar Chief at Bathurst. We don't see it much because Danceteria folded like a pack of cards and Lochinvar got beat (and Mach Dan probably wouldn't have run a place either even if it didn't gallop). It doesn't happen because it screws the pacemaker up.

Thinking aloud, have pacemakers with stopwatch depending on grade of race and track/track condition run within certain time standards until the 800m when they peel off. Instead of barrier draw just start them in racing pattern - eg peg horses and running line horses already in an order based on PBD. Have pacemakers lead up both lines. Cant overtake pacemakers only come 3+ wide up to the gig beside them to the 800m. Can have PBD and the pacemaker in the running line could even be made to go slower than the pacemaker on the inside so the outside horses have to give them 20m at the 800m.

Do lose some of the excitement off the gate and its gets a bit messy with making sure the pacemaker sets the right pace, and visually probably not great seeing them peel off.

If not maybe actually set the time for slow sectionals so they actually are quick sectionals. And it shouldn't just be the leader who gets fined, its the drivers letting the leader get away with it that should be fined.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwes View Post
    I understand but CEOs and Boards in general have a terrible record of being reactionary when it comes to ‘ management” and planning .. look at banks as one example .. They collect big money and wait for things to occur, then blame their staff .. money laundering by criminals was one of them . They are not innovative . I think the CEO and Board of Harness have an opportunity..there is enough thoroughbred horse racing on tv already ... i dont think they’d try. It’s a shame when we have this great opportunity to try very hard to get harness live late April till end of May say, or later . Do you know any execs or Board members at Harness Racing?
    I don't know any Terry, I'm just a fan, but I do know that our last couple of HRV CEO's have been willing to answer emails you send them. (Go for it)

You will see that there have been pages of ideas on this forum (not just in this thread) but I am not sure we the posters have ever had any influence, although I do remember the previous CEO saying he was going to taken the printed pages of one thread to a meeting.

Once upon a time we used to have HRV and HRNSW post on this forum but I don't know that they even read us anymore - for a while after we fell out of favour, I think they monitored us for a while and told some of our 'liscensed' posters to be careful

We are not as strong a forum as we once were but it does seem to me that they are missing out on an opportunity and that a few minutes a week would go a long way as a public relations exercise

Our current CEO in Vic, Dayle Brown, has said that everything is on the table and that he wants to hear BIG ideas - I sent him a link to some relevant forum threads in December, which he thanked me for and said he would 'take a look'. He is still completing, what is a very lengthy round of consulting the public meeting (all around the state) but they have been deferred due to them being gatherings and due to the workload that the virus would have produced
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    I don't know any Terry, I'm just a fan, but I do know that our last couple of HRV CEO's have been willing to answer emails you send them. (Go for it)

You will see that there have been pages of ideas on this forum (not just in this thread) but I am not sure we the posters have ever had any influence, although I do remember the previous CEO saying he was going to taken the printed pages of one thread to a meeting.

Once upon a time we used to have HRV and HRNSW post on this forum but I don't know that they even read us anymore - for a while after we fell out of favour, I think they monitored us for a while and told some of our 'liscensed' posters to be careful

We are not as strong a forum as we once were but it does seem to me that they are missing out on an opportunity and that a few minutes a week would go a long way as a public relations exercise

Our current CEO in Vic, Dayle Brown, has said that everything is on the table and that he wants to hear BIG ideas - I sent him a link to some relevant forum threads in December, which he thanked me for and said he would 'take a look'. He is still completing, what is a very lengthy round of consulting the public meeting (all around the state) but they have been deferred due to them being gatherings and due to the workload that the virus would have produced
    OK Kevin, here is my email ( cut and paste of my text) that I sent to the Marketing Director Andrew English of HR, but I fear that it may be the wrong email address. I’d be eternally grateful if you could ask one of you contacts the correct email address. I emailed : andrewenglish@gmail.com
    I’d be pleased to get your opinion of what I wrote, I won’t lose any marks for lack of passion eh! You know something, I can honestly say to you, it truly is driven by the passion I had for Halwes, that passion is still there as it always was .

Hi Andrew

I’ll go straight to the point here, and maybe the stars are lining up.
    My name is Terry, a great fan of harness racing.
    Halwes is the best horse I have ever seen, just a superstar; when everything was needed, Halwes shone. As driver Kevin Newman said, Horses ‘can go’ once, good horses can go twice, but super horses like Halwes, could go three times. If you ever want to market a horse, Halwes was it. Others were great, Halwes was on his own.

Aub Wesley refused a 300 k offer from the American Yonkers Raceway pros so many years ago, worth millions today. He made us so happy to watch the wonders of Halwes, however short his career was.

Andrew, I went on the Harness Racing Forum to express my views about how to improve HR. Everybody loves a champion. In Australia we have had some great champions. In the old days the Trotting Boards had no idea, no skills in marketing etc these champions, even though the trots were on 7 every Saturday night. HR fell by the wayside, and is shadow of itself today.

We know what Sea Biscuit did for the Americans in the Great Depression. He was a saviour, a genuine saviour, saving lives because the people hit by misery needed a saviour, someone to hang onto, Sea Biscuit was it. You only had to see the black and white footage to get some idea of it, it was unimaginable how much they embraced a champion. It gave everyone great relief, and a sense of belongingness.

We have in the world a similar cauldron, the gathering of, no, in fact the immediate effect of a another Great Depression that may have a long time to go. The only difference in terms of horse racing is the very very sad fact we can't have crowds at racing events, but we can watch them.

What I am saying is that there is a window of opportunity at the moment on free to air TV, on 7 now that the AFL aren’t telecasting footy, to make a massive move to televise harness racing on 7. This window will close when the footy restarts no earlier than the end June this year you think. 7 are showing replays of AFL from some years ago, or older films.
    By chance, when I was on the HR Forums Site, I was praising the wonders of Halwes saying we needed another superstar pacer to revive HR.

As it turned out, Kevin O’Donahough, agreed with that stating that when we do, we (HR) need to tell the world about it. He said Poster Boy could be that horse. I have not seen Poster Boy. No sooner had he said that when the breeder/owner said on the forum that Poster Boy had resumed from a long lay out and trialled very well this week at Ballarat.

There is the opportunity Andrew to get Poster Boy on free to air 7 during the window when AFL is not on the TV. A window from probably late April to late June where we could see HR on free to air again.

It would have to be special, a free for all one week with Poster Boy the centre of attention, a miracle mile before or after the ffa, probably before the ffa, followed by another ffa a fortnight later, perhaps in NSW, etc. In other words, a big splash of the best HR we can gather together.

I don’t know whether the connections would risk Poster Boy early in his preparation, but I can tell you this, and it’s on the record. Halwes was a very, very, very, lightly raced horse, with dicky legs yet when he resumed from an eighteen months spell, he decimated top flight opposition in all heats of the 1968 NZ Interdominion, only to be scratched 1 hour before the final due to mild lameness.

He returned 1 or 2 weeks later and starred, really starred. Poster Boy may not be as stout, as brilliant or able to sustain sprints for such long intervals as Halwes could do, and no horse was as good as Halwes over 3000 metres, but he is a worthy, very worthy horse to promote to the public in the circumstances we have now.

I contend that HR will never have a ’Sea Biscuit opportunity’ like this ever again.
    I implore you to approach the Board and Channel 7 immediately and begin planning a big resurrection of HR, it is worth it.

Bruce McAveney knows how good Halwes was, he will agree with me that this idea is a great one. He is driven by emotions too, so he is the person to pull this off at 7. When every business is suffering, Bruce understands that this is a precious moment to grab, there won’t be others.

Of course, I don’t have access to the Owners of Poster Boy, and these people are the first to approach because they may not be interested at all in what I propose. They may be concerned that he is not ready either etc etc.

Yes there are existing races scheduled in coming months, and what I propose requires that this be addressed but you look at the big picture.

HR wanted big ideas, I’m giving you one. The Poster Boy story is of course part of the tale to be told, but he could go on to NSW, Qld, WA etc and HR is back in town.

Yours sincerely
    Terry Meehan (Tezza)
    Last edited by Halwes; 03-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Terry, I happened to email HRV CEO Dayle Brown, asking why Vic is not going down the regionalization road like NSW as a means of possibly avoiding a statewide shut down the next time somebody is suspected of having coronavirus
    I put a PS on the bottom about your Ch7 suggestion as a Big Idea
    He has already replied to me
    Saying there will be announcement this afternoon about regional racing and
    "I like the free-to-air approach for TV, we launched on SEN 1116 last night with new shows and coverage of our product more to come."
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    How do we incorporate pace makers?

Admittedly Gp1s but I have watched every single race on Sky today and the best two races all day were Verry Ellegant in the Tancred at Rosehill and the Gold Crown.

Dancetaria made a mid race move and set a hot pace in the Tancred, and Mach Dan softened up Lochinvar Chief at Bathurst. We don't see it much because Danceteria folded like a pack of cards and Lochinvar got beat (and Mach Dan probably wouldn't have run a place either even if it didn't gallop). It doesn't happen because it screws the pacemaker up.

Thinking aloud, have pacemakers with stopwatch depending on grade of race and track/track condition run within certain time standards until the 800m when they peel off. Instead of barrier draw just start them in racing pattern - eg peg horses and running line horses already in an order based on PBD. Have pacemakers lead up both lines. Cant overtake pacemakers only come 3+ wide up to the gig beside them to the 800m. Can have PBD and the pacemaker in the running line could even be made to go slower than the pacemaker on the inside so the outside horses have to give them 20m at the 800m.

Do lose some of the excitement off the gate and its gets a bit messy with making sure the pacemaker sets the right pace, and visually probably not great seeing them peel off.

If not maybe actually set the time for slow sectionals so they actually are quick sectionals. And it shouldn't just be the leader who gets fined, its the drivers letting the leader get away with it that should be fined.
    Which race are you referring to Breno, I have been trying to work it out but

ANSWER: Working my way through the Bathurst replays and it was the next race you meant Ideal Dan
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    Hi Terry, I happened to email HRV CEO Dayle Brown, asking why Vic is not going down the regionalization road like NSW as a means of possibly avoiding a statewide shut down the next time somebody is suspected of having coronavirus
    I put a PS on the bottom about your Ch7 suggestion as a Big Idea
    He has already replied to me
    Saying there will be announcement this afternoon about regional racing and
    "I like the free-to-air approach for TV, we launched on SEN 1116 last night with new shows and coverage of our product more to come."
    Thanks .. did you read my last post where I sent a lengthy email to their marketing director, but it is not the right address.
    CAN U PLS GIVE ME DAYLE BROWN EMAIL ADDRESS
    Did you like my email.

+ Reply to Thread