Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Trots Vision just constantly freezes for me while sky works fine. Auber is excellent but I couldn't listen to the other 3 !
    I encountered some of your Trots Vision problem today Rick
    I wanted to watch the 2nd at Melton and could not be bothered firing up the Foxtel
    First off there was no sound but I thought - I don't really need sound so I persisted
    Down the back straight the final time, the screen goes black with the message An Error Has Occurred
    I was only quick enough to see the last 50m on Foxtel and when I went back to Trots Vision and refreshed it, I saw a replay of the home straight (but still no sound)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think Trots Vision is currently designed for a very small audience. Once too many people try to watch, it cant handle it, lack of bandwidth I think they call it. As with most things more $$$ is required to cope with more viewers. Probably controlled by Sky racing as they want the viewers to stay on Sky.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    I know they occasionally bring back one former champion horse to lead a cup field on but how about some meetings where they bring back 5 or 6 former champs for people to see again.

They could promote the night and let people get up close to them , get selfies etc. Might bring back a few fans that have stopped coming to the track.
    It will be easier to get former fans back than create new ones imo.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I know they occasionally bring back one former champion horse to lead a cup field on but how about some meetings where they bring back 5 or 6 former champs for people to see again.

They could promote the night and let people get up close to them , get selfies etc. Might bring back a few fans that have stopped coming to the track.
    It will be easier to get former fans back than create new ones imo.
    Rick:
    Need suggestions here:
    I know that Sokyola and Smoken Up are well looked after at Lance's place. What others do you have in mind?
    Lenny's at stud in NSW but The HERO horses are seen often at major events.

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Noel, at the suitable time of the year they could parade the ones that have gone to stud. It could bring them some extra mares.
    As for a list of others I will need some time. Many would be in the HERO or other programs so they would be available, but personally I want to see them paraded ,not with a rider on board.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    44 minutes between Race 4 & 5 at Horsham on Monday
    (It has to be close to a record)
    Surely they will have to be providing free devonshire tea for everybody to keep them around
    (average between races for the day is 39 mins!)

Idea to improve racing - reduce these bloody times

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=HS090320
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Probably being able to see the horses for more than 2 seconds at Menangle would be a good thing. Lucky for the quality of horse flesh but first time I've been back since Blacks A Fakes ID and while the good horses made the night it's like watching thoroughbreds visually except our pacers aren't as quick and the atmosphere doesn't come close.

It's fine watching them on TV but maybe that angle needs to be pushed more with FTA and/or streaming service to get more viewers.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A little hint to the states other than QLD
    HRA always has 3 Video Highlights (stories) at the bottom of their home page
    They are always episodes of the QLD program Weekend Winners

Get with it other states

http://www.harness.org.au/index.cfm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know there are some who do not think crowds are important but I am not one of those
    And for the forseeable future it is a moot point with nobody allowed to attend
    But looking to the future I wonder whether we need to avoid country meets coinciding with gallops meets
    This week for example
    Cranbourne trots today, Cranbourne gallops tomorrow
    Terang trots Wednesday, Terang gallops Thursday

If crowds were allowed to attend, how many (locals) are likely to go to both?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    I'm new to this forum today. You'll get a few ideas from seeing my user name who I think was the greatest pacer I have seen. You'll also get some idea of how old I am.
    I went in the late 60s to mid seventies. Going to the trots then of course saw bigger crowds and free to air on channel 7 every Saturday night at the Melb Showgrounds. I of course have no magic solutions re getting a higher profile. My opinion though is not advertise the trots on say regional free to airvuntil we see another absolute super star pacer ( or trotter). Harness didn't do that well years ago despite having them. I am not in touch with outstanding pacers today as I have not recommenced interest until now really. I think when we find another Halwes, ( forgive my bias and adoration we ( the industry) should plan a marketing plan/exercise, preferably via Tv but also plan a radio campaign too e.g. interview if the trainer on regional abc .. gradually do this . Of course everything today is about video, social media so that's the real focus. But in really think pacing meeting should start earlier and finish earlier if possible.. we don't want to drive home too late. Finally I like standing starts.. I know they have disappeared but handicaps with standing starts were exciting.
    Certainly a few would be good.. you'd watch a better horse to see if he or she could still win from 36 or 48 yards ( 30 or 40 metres). My love for Halwes began when I saw him at the Melb Showgrounds in a standing start from 24 yards. When the starter let them go Halwes was facing the wrong way and by the time the driver turned him around he lost 100 metres . When he caught the last horse in the field, he was given a breather, then with a lap and a half to go he took off and went to the lead.. He went on to win by 15 yards easing up ( the measure then). It was the most sensational win I ever saw. I cried tears of joy . The Halwes story.. how he was scratched 50 mins before the 1969?? Interdominion final in NZ, after thrashing all others in all three heats was a silly decision by the owner . Everybody thought Halwes a cert in the final .. He was a super sprinter and could sustain that for an amazing length if time. So over 3000 metres on a big track , no horse was as good as he was Anyway, enough from me
    Last edited by Halwes; 03-28-2020 at 03:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread