Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    I had a first starter racing at Geelong last week and received a text from the Club . ‘ Come and watch your horse race on Easter Thursday night at Geelong. Admission, Race Book & 2 course meal for $40 per person’ . ( Note: Admission and Race Books are free for all attendees ! )
    Geelong Club is at Corio , there are no restaurants or Hotels close by and we usually eat at the Club Dining Room.
    We fronted up to reception and we’re asked if we had a booking. Said No, never booked before in our life. Spare tables and chairs everywhere. Lady said you must have a booking , caterer only provides enough food for those who have booked. We were directed to a Take Away area underneath the stand. A Bain Marie full of fried food , not good enough! The administration of this Club has been a disaster for the past 10 years plus.HRV needs to make major changes or shut it down. If Ballarat and Maryborough can provide good meals for patrons and participants on a walk up basis the Geelong Club needs a serious shake up.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wow that is so NOT good enough
    As well as Ballarat and Maryborough you can add Stawell, Ararat, Hamilton, Yarra Valley, ...... (probably every club)
    On top of that it was not just any night it was Thursday - the start of the Easter break
    If the club could not promote/back themselves in to fill up their dining room without bookings then they were not trying and missed a big opportunity. Compared to some of these other clubs they have the whole of Geelong on their doorstep, we're talking about 250k compared to some of these other clubs with not even a tenth of that
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I've long harboured the thought that HRV, instead of building what we have at Melton, could have taken over Geelong, spent a couple of million bringing the facilities up to scratch and banked the rest.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    On the AHRI facebook page, after giving the Eureka the thumbs down, Gordon Banks had the following to say:

There must also be a focus on giving young horses a fair chance to compete without constant handicaps and outside posts, and on giving owners a reasonable chance to make money with mediocre horses. Under the current system, anything less than a Stake horse is a dead end street!

And your entry system allowing entrants a look see and withdrawal is incredibly counterproductive. It creates a situation under which races don't fill, especially for young horses. Instead you need race secretaries who create appropriate sub conditions and narrower race classifications producing the competitive races all willing to enter. And trainers should not be allowed more than one entry in any race, unless field doesn't fill. Even then there must be a two horse limit to break the stranglehold that the dominant barns take advantage of! Additionally, the computer draw system is a non transparent disaster, creating a widespread sense of inequity and manipulation!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We have to decide if we want people to attend meetings.

I was thinking about going to Ararat today but in winter what is one going to do for the 43 minutes (40 by the time the race is over) between race 2 & 3 and the 40 minutes between races 3 & 4
    Maybe I am a bit 'precious' but my time is definitely precious to me
    We all know that 30mins between races is probably ideal (< suits attendees but maybe not larger stables)

Maybe this is another reason the Dogs have passed us
    Melbourne dogs today has the maximum between races of 20mins
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Cobram today we have 25 mins between some races, 35 mins between some races and 40 mins between some races. it is all about when the gallops start and trying to be on Sky1 of course
    Oh 25 mins between all races - heaven

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=CO110722
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is not the gallops that are hurting us, it is the Dogs
    There are only 4 gallops meets today - 1 VIC, 2 NSW (there would have been 3 but 1 Abandoned), 1 QLD [there are plenty of International gallops tonight]
    There are only 4 harness meets one for VIC, NSW, QLD, WA [a few International trots before midday]
    The dogs have 12 Australian dogs meets but 1 is Abandoned, 6 are daytime meets plus there is a NZ one
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A lack of public awareness that we even exist is our biggest problem
    Here is an American idea to remedy this

In an event initiated and presented by the U.S. Trotting Association, social media influencers Nick Luciano, Blake Moore, Beau Deatrick and Roy Dinges, members of Tratter Co., will visit The Meadowlands for the Hambletonian on Saturday (Aug. 6).

https://ustrottingnews.com/usta-pres...e-meadowlands/

ps And we just have to have a 'Ladies In Red Evening'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    45 minutes between R2 - R3 at Hamilton must be just about a record but at least it is only 29mins to the next

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=HM130722
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The older I get, the more it troubles me that barrier draws are so/too important in our code - what is the answer?
    I don't really want to lose our point of difference and race on big tracks
    I have only been to Menangle once - maybe I need more visits to see if I could accept it (the day I was there was a Big day and I was pretty excited and not exactly analytical)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread