Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogga View Post
    Brilliant, get rid of the bloody things, and let the drivers race properly. Can only hope for the same in Oz.

I wish there was still a metro track. Imagine the pulling power with the current investment in marketing/media. One of the main reasons for it's slow death at the Valley in Vic, it was left to die. I attended the trots with my family every Saturday night (unless there was a wedding or something stopping me!) when it was at the Valley. Quick cab ride & away we went! I only go now if I've got a horse running. Maybe I love a beer too much but you can't get to a track easily using public transport or cab from the burbs.
    Stephen, you might have noticed the suggestion in post 15, that we should investigate the viability of returning to the Valley for a dozen metro Grass meets, with the other metro class meets split between the big country tracks.
    Not only would it cater for Melburnians, it would give the marketing/media something they could really sell
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Pogga will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Salter
    Horses
    Tact Tate, We Meet Again, Jessies Girl,
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Stephen, you might have noticed the suggestion in post 15, that we should investigate the viability of returning to the Valley for a dozen metro Grass meets, with the other metro class meets split between the big country tracks.
    Not only would it cater for Melburnians, it would give the marketing/media something they could really sell
    Perfect Kevin! Just reinforcing your point mate

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogga View Post
    Perfect Kevin! Just reinforcing your point mate
    It is actually a proposal from Ray Chaplin of Equine Excellence - I just thought it was interesting that the two of you both thought of the Valley for its marketing potential (for the Inter too!)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just had a look at the plans for Moonee Valley's redevelopment and there is no way they are going to make any changes for us with it due to start in 2020 so we would have to be prepared to race on a big circuit
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Ricks idea about an on course pick the card comp sound good. Pay entry fee and fill in on course form. Must be on track to enter and collect. Jackpot if no one win. Maryborough do one (did one) where have to pick last 6 winners.

Put a show jumping arena in centre of track at Melton and have comps on race nights. Get a whole new bunch of horse people there.

Dunno about Moonee Valley. Once bitten twice shy? Showgrounds would have been ideal. All that space and its hardly used except for peak times of year.

Yes Melton hard to get to. And getting worse. Hour & half drive home from town (if lucky) and then another half hour get there. On a good day. But once there it's OK. Saturday night meetings a winner for me!

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    A lot of great ideas coming through. Moonee valley is interstate for me but good luck with getting racing back there. Just a note on travel, I often travel to Launceston which is a 3 hr drive one way to watch my horse run and to Hobart it is 4.5 hrs one way.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    A lot of great ideas coming through. Moonee valley is interstate for me but good luck with getting racing back there. Just a note on travel, I often travel to Launceston which is a 3 hr drive one way to watch my horse run and to Hobart it is 4.5 hrs one way.
    Pat, are you living somewhere near Strahan?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Kev, I am out near Wynyard (Burnie way).....Strahan is way out west, be tough having a racehorse down that way and travelling to watch it race.

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    i may bore people with this but we need to get the handicapping right ,
    look at race 6 at Newcastle Saturday night , $140,000 earner C4 mare racing in a no better than C2 using a junior driver concession and mares concession , next best earner in the race 70,000 but rest have earned 20-30K, Danny Gibson has one it and we have discussed this on many occasions the overuse of concessions are making the racing a lot less competitive,
    and i got nothing against people using the rules as they are but even blind Freddie can see its going to be track work for this horse and next week the same horses will probably come up against another similar horse , and races that are a procession are boring who wants to watch a moral win , people want to see competition and get good odds about what they back , backing $1.50 shots its easy money but not going to attract crowds or pub people wanting a punt

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    David, I am not disagreeing with the handicap issue and I think you're right that $1.50 shots don't encourage people to punt but in Vic they should as there is value to be had with half of them losing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread