Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fremantle Cup 2018

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Agreed Colin, Pure Steel, pure guts and determination, I will never forget his 1980 AG Hunter Cup win when he sat on the outside of Paleface Adios all the way and went on to win with the great sit/sprinter Koala

King unable to run him down. The call of that race was remarkable. Pure Steel, my all time favourite until I'm Themightyquinn came along.

Footnote. They actually measured the stride of Pure Steel in full flight....... 7.9 metres or 26 feet. incredible.
    He is my all time favourite too and a look through my post history will comfirm my love for him. However is quickest time at Gloucester Park was 1.53.5 and that was over 1700. Give Lazarus some credit going 1.52.6 over 2500.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by niloc View Post
    pure steel sat 3 wide for an entire miracle mile, i know cause i was there!!.the time was not flash but the courage was immeasurable,big class difference between a miracle mile and a fremantle cup.oh yes and pure steel did win that miracle mile,so let's not get carried away with that great run.
    I'm not sure how Michael Frost, Hermosa Star and Dimante Hanover stack up as stars of the game, and Markovina clipped Pure Steels wheel so effectively out of the race. Freo Cup of Chicago Bull, Soho Tribecca and Ultimate Machete doesn't stack up too bad.

That the first qtr was the quickest in that Miracle Mile of 28.2 when Pure Steel dropped back suited him, whereas Lazarus was working hard the whole race. Pure Steel was also the 3rd slowest Miracle Mile and this race was in quick time. Not knocking Pure Steel but I think its easy to look back at history with rose coloured glasses sometimes.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Good post Dan. Was waiting for an 'old timer' to come in and say something like this.
    LOL I am changing my name to Dan and taking a couple of years off my age
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    LOL I am changing my name to Dan and taking a couple of years off my age
    I liked your posts re greatest run of all time & arguing the points re 3 wide the trip.
    Old timer in this instance not necessary old in age, but been a part of something a long time. Danno has lived and breathed harness racing for a long time.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 01-16-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I wasn't really being serious Breno - I know Dan's cred - if anybody didn't they need only look at the response to his post
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    He is my all time favourite too and a look through my post history will comfirm my love for him. However is quickest time at Gloucester Park was 1.53.5 and that was over 1700. Give Lazarus some credit going 1.52.6 over 2500.
    Lazarus time for the 2500 at GP was unbelievable but we all know that times can belie a horse's true ability Lazarus an exception. Take Queensland harness racing they zip around their favourite distance 1660 metres in quick times but that's where it ends.
    ITMQ's pedestrian 1:53.5 at GP translated to a 1:50.4 at Albion Park in 2014 Sunshine Sprint a time that will take some beating and only a horse the calibre of Lazarus could do it.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm not sure how Michael Frost, Hermosa Star and Dimante Hanover stack up as stars of the game, and Markovina clipped Pure Steels wheel so effectively out of the race. Freo Cup of Chicago Bull, Soho Tribecca and Ultimate Machete doesn't stack up too bad.

That the first qtr was the quickest in that Miracle Mile of 28.2 when Pure Steel dropped back suited him, whereas Lazarus was working hard the whole race. Pure Steel was also the 3rd slowest Miracle Mile and this race was in quick time. Not knocking Pure Steel but I think its easy to look back at history with rose coloured glasses sometimes.
    Hey breno, you left out the winner My Hard Copy.
    Agree with you breno, three champs in that race Pure Steel, Paleface Adios and Markovina the other three good horses not stars. Another example of times not justifying a horse's ability.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-16-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Hey folks, yes Pure Steel sat 3 wide for an "entire Miracle Mile" a very slow miracle mile and the MM is over approximately 1600 metres not 2600....as Paul has pointed out, Lazarus's effort was OUTSTANDING, I know there are a few among us that have been around a while, who can remember ANY other incident either side of the ditch where a group one race over further than the mile was won by a horse sitting 3 wide the entire journey?? Bit of a harness tragic as some of you know the answer is ZERO, how about you all give the horse and his camp the credit they deserve? What about the time? what is the track record for that distance? anything like sub 1.54? leave alone sub 1.53?? If you take the blinkers off you will notice that Lazarus dug VERY deep near the line trying to fight off the winner...I reckon another 50 yards Lazarus wins!! There were some on this forum that were bagging the horse through he ID heats, he came out and done the big job on the big night, as predicted.

Is Lazarus the best horse ever?, he is a ripper but in order to get that tag he still has a power of work to do, but at the moment he is way better than anything in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Does Lombo Rapida's 2000 Chariots win qualify?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Does Lombo Rapida's 2000 Chariots win qualify?
    My memory of that race was she was 3 wide for a long time Wayne, not so sure the journey, but if you have got me, I'd love to see the run if it can be dug up.
    cheers, Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My memory of that race was she was 3 wide for a long time Wayne, not so sure the journey, but if you have got me, I'd love to see the run if it can be dug up.
    cheers, Dan
    Have been searching for a video of the race for a few years Dan. I've looked through Kyle's (Amlin) terrific youtube stash. Any leads Kyle?

Albeit not a grand circuit race but it was a "a horse just can't do that" moment for me, hence the memory. She did draw wide, as you'd know. I did wonder if her remaining wide throughout (my recollection) was tactical due to the rain affected state of the track, but still. Pretty sure John Justice on Shakamaker was just as "amazed".

Was an opportunity to jog your, or anyone else's memory of the race Dan. Hoping we might dredge up a video of the race. Cheers, Wayne.

+ Reply to Thread