Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fremantle Cup 2018

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    No one has said a word about my hard copy.!!!!! hello......he actually won the race, it was his 2nd Fremantle cup and he also has won a WA pacing cup. so he is no mug. Lazarus ended up the bridesmaid......If you want to say it maybe the greatest run ever...I dont think so. If he had won then yes, it could have been afforded that title. Just a thought Kev, the first 800m was a lot of horses trying to get a position so that could not be counted as the whole journey, others ended up 3 wide as well which is why i said most of the journey. I will give you 1800 metres. Other good horses have won going 3 wide that distance and dont forget those champions of the past who used to win off 60 yards
    He was at least 3 wide for 2536m of the 2536m race Pat - there is nothing to debate

I don't think anybody is forgetting the champions of the past
    The reason for rating the hd defeat so highly was the calibre of the field and the time run (While sitting 3w the entire journey)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    No one has said a word about my hard copy.!!!!! hello......he actually won the race, it was his 2nd Fremantle cup and he also has won a WA pacing cup. so he is no mug. Lazarus ended up the bridesmaid......If you want to say it maybe the greatest run ever...I dont think so. If he had won then yes, it could have been afforded that title. Just a thought Kev, the first 800m was a lot of horses trying to get a position so that could not be counted as the whole journey, others ended up 3 wide as well which is why i said most of the journey. I will give you 1800 metres. Other good horses have won going 3 wide that distance and dont forget those champions of the past who used to win off 60 yards
    Hi Pat,
    Actually, it's two WA Pacing Cups and now a Fremantle Cup and IMO the horse was a certainty beaten in 2016 AG Hunter Cup finishing third, My Hard Copy is no bum and can be lethal off a fast pace.
    A little too much obsequiousness is rained upon Lazarus after all he has a 3/3 win-loss ratio over here and didn't he finish third in the 2017 Miracle Mile; no doubt he is a champion racehorse but the horse is not unbeatable.
    On saying that he will probably win the WA Pacing Cup but can we just settle down a little with the accolades.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-14-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Compliments All Stars website

NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR LAZARUS FOR WA CUP -MARK'S "GUT FEELING" - IT COULD BE LONGER

it looks like just a bruise in the foot and I think that is what it is. Gut feeling ? I think the Hunter Cup could be in doubt. But that is only a gut feeling. With some luck it won't be as bad as that" Mark said Sunday after a foot injury struck superstar pacer Lazarus which is likely to force him out of the WA Cup on Friday.
    And that might not be the end of it.
    With a concentrated run of features over the next month time is vital, it past Friday that the Lazarus team has to look at and he will need good news in the next few days to keep the full race programme alive. His next assignment is the Hunter Cup (February 3) a severe staying test which means any missed work becomes vital.
    Mark was caught three wide throughout the Fremantle Cup but had no alternative.
    "The front wasn't there. They weren't going to make if easy for us and on a track like that the bends come up so quick you done't have time for much more than we were doing"

NATALIE REPORTS
    "It was a tough run from Ultimate Machete but he came out of it a little lame. Mark will be assessing that for next week but he was very happy with him going into the race so we will have to cross fingers there. He has quite a lot coming g up too. We pro ably needed a bit more room when it counted but you could not take anything from Lazarus. That was just amazing.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Hi Pat,
    Actually, it's two WA Pacing Cups
    Cheers Rod for correcting that statistical inaccuracy. Lazarus would surely be placed in the WA pacing cup if he was to run in it due to the fact he has never missed a place in 41 starts, a record which speaks for itself. I dont care which horse it is but if scribes think a horse is going to start favourite and win all the group 1 races at GP in any one season then they need to study their history first. Lazarus would win them if he drew 1/2/3/4 but wider than that it is a different story especially if you have gut busters like the Friday night race and then have to back up.

Kev, Richard Bell can be a good caller but does make a few mistakes, I had a horse there racing once and it took him 3 races before he actually got to call the horses name correctly.

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    1977-78 season from the archives

In January Pure Steel won the Western Australian Pacing Cup for the second consecutive year, this time breaking the race record. The following month he travelled to Melbourne for the Hunter Cup and was successful in recording a remarkable staying performance. Pure Steel sat without cover outside of leader Rip Van Winkle for most of the 2800m but won convincingly in track record time. ‘The gutsiest thing on four legs’ said driver Ted Demmler.[2] The race is still regarded by many as one of the greatest ever run at Moonee Valley[4]

These are the types of great performances that people remember and what lazarus performance has to be compared against, winning is everything when you talk about all time great performances.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You just need imagination Pat.
    Lazarus holds on and even you would be calling it phenomenal
    Winning from the death is an accepted strategy nowadays but nobody sits 3 wide and does it (running time) - I don't think we will see the likes of it again
    I will remember his performance
    Winning is everything because it suits your argument but I don't deny that it is the one at the top of the list in the records and in time, that is all that people see/have to go on
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I'll remember Laz's effort for a fair while but the wins do get remembered more.

Adding one to the mind blowing 3 wide efforts which was a win. Not open class and shorter distance, Lombo Rapida's 2000 Chariots win on a rain affected 1/2 mile circuit. Probably wouldn't remember as much if she didn't win, but her being a female makes the run stand out. A pity there's no video footage.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11975048

Calculations say he covered 56ms extra. Means he ran mile rate 1.52.8 over nearly 2600m.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    For a split second I thought Rasmussen was going to let the boss in - wouldn't that have caused a sensation!

(Breno deleted his own perfectly fine post)
    I now know I am not the only one that thought NR eased to let MP in - I reckon MP quick enough to realize they would be shot if he had taken the 1x1
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Kev, I just dropped in a comparison to lazarus's performance because you did put a question mark to it which to me indicates some type of participation or answer in what you raised. I wasnt arguing about it.

Not only that, it opened up the forum topic to others who have remembered great performances in the past especially those older guys who were around watching Pure Steel, Hondo Grattan etc. Great performances do get forgotten over time especially now that tracks are faster leading to crazy mile rates and horses have better avenues to medical treatment etc.

+ Reply to Thread