Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: APG Sales 2018

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

APG Sales 2018

APG do a lot right, like having an online catalogue and streaming the sale (in HD)

BUT

it certainly could be improved on

- the catalogue leaves out A LOT of info eg If a mare has had previous foals, the details should all be listed. A c or f to tell the sex of progeny listed should not be too much to ask

- the streaming obviously wants to show the crowd/bidding but it is too distant, zoom in a bit and lets see the horse better, the semaphore and auctioneer tell us all we need to know about the bidding.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    APG do a lot right, like having an online catalogue and streaming the sale (in HD)

BUT

it certainly could be improved on

- the catalogue leaves out A LOT of info eg If a mare has had previous foals, the details should all be listed. A c or f to tell the sex of progeny listed should not be too much to ask

- the streaming obviously wants to show the crowd/bidding but it is too distant, zoom in a bit and lets see the horse better, the semaphore and auctioneer tell us all we need to know about the bidding.
    What would the (M) be after a horses name?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    What would the (M) be after a horses name?
    oops Thanks Breno

Can you find where the vendor is for me?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    You can view the soft copy of the catalogue in full screen, scroll down to bottom of this page

http://www.apgold.com.au/yearling-sa...elbourne-sale/

I've got both the online guide (handy for picture and updating sales prices as they are sold) and the catalogue open in different tabs.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Are you saying there are 2 online catalogues?

I thought I had the stream on full screen and although it was close to, I have now found that I didn't - full screen is good enough

Without the hard copy is there somewhere that I can see Vendor and foaling date online?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Are you saying there are 2 online catalogues?

I thought I had the stream on full screen and although it was close to, I have now found that I didn't - full screen is good enough

Without the hard copy is there somewhere that I can see Vendor and foaling date online?
    As I said before click on the hyperlink I provided in my previous post, scroll to the bottom of the page and a soft copy of the catalogue is there. Has vendor, foaling date etc.

APG also have the online guide that provides a picture of the yearling and they are updating with sale prices. Online guide is found here http://www.apgold.com.au/yearling-sa...-online-guide/

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Breno, APG were not clear enough for this old fuddy duddy, I have been looking at the online guide (thinking that was it only) not realizing that by clicking on Sales and ignoring Online guide option but instead going for 2018 Sales you eventually got the download of the full catalogue option

Apologies to APG (sort of - they should make it clearer by having download 'full' guide as an option along with 'Online' guide under the Sales tab)

The only thing I have a gripe about is the incomplete list of the dams foals when it suits them NOT to put it in
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Thanks Breno, APG were not clear enough for this old fuddy duddy, I have been looking at the online guide (thinking that was it only) not realizing that by clicking on Sales and ignoring Online guide option but instead going for 2018 Sales you eventually got the download of the full catalogue option

Apologies to APG (sort of - they should make it clearer by having download 'full' guide as an option along with 'Online' guide under the Sales tab)

The only thing I have a gripe about is the incomplete list of the dams foals when it suits them NOT to put it in
    Any thoughts on the results for stallions? I was thinking that Art Majors were lower than they once were, when all of a sudden the $160,000 sister to Follow The Stars stepped up.

Mach Threes seemed to sell well, but Rocknroll Heaven ($8,000 service fee) and Roll With Joe ($6,000) both seemed a bit disappointing, Auckland Reactors were not in demand.

How about lot 106, the Restrepo colt. One of a first crop of 9 according to the HRA website. Brought $30,000,. That's about 20 X the service fee.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Adaptor; 02-04-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I was surprised that a Sportswriter would be 2nd top colt. Lot 156 = $92,500 but he is a half to Heaven Rocks
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-05-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: 2nd
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The above Sportswriter colt was one of two lots that have Buyer listed as 'APG as agent' - does this anonymity remain until the colt is named?

I realize we are not really comparing apples with apples BUT the $92,500 is more than 3½ times the next highest Sportswriter colt (a small sample I know as there were only 5 others in the sale)

The same degree of wonderment could apply to the sales topping filly by Art Major, she fetched $160k (congrats Lauriston) which is nearly 4 times what the next highest Art Major filly fetched. There were 19 other Art Major fillies in the sale and even if the other Lauriston filly had reached her Reserve of $50k, the topper is still over 3 times that much

I am thinking that buyer Five Arrows (heard of it but I cannot remember who they are) is more than hoping to win the 2yo Final - for getting to it and winning it ($150k) would recoup their investment. The beauty of well bred fillies is that they may never even race but still start a breeding dynasty in the barn.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread