Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MM and the Lead ups

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Hope you've come through Gina ok teecee. Thoughts with the south islanders.

Yes thanks Wayne. Better than an earthquake. At least you know what might be with a weather event.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-21-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From TC's link

"He then drew the outside of the front line for Saturday’s great race, a starting position from where no horse has run a place in the Miracle Mile since it moved to Menangle."

If it wasn't for the want of a place pool, I sometimes wonder whether it would be fairer to only have a 6 horse MM
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    That could be a good idea Kevin. Betting may increase for the win, quinella, tri etc. pool and offset any decreases in the place pool.

The betting from the 2013 MM (Baby Bling) - 7 horse field could provide some insight. However, did participants think that this was an exciting race?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by alphastud View Post
    That could be a good idea Kevin. Betting may increase for the win, quinella, tri etc. pool and offset any decreases in the place pool.

The betting from the 2013 MM (Baby Bling) - 7 horse field could provide some insight. However, did participants think that this was an exciting race?
    Baby Bling Worst ID in history!

I don't mind the 8 horses over the 6 horses. I think the bigger field lends itself to more competition to get up front early, which means if you can lob just off the speed you have a good chance. If you land just off the speed in a small race where there isn't much speed you aren't really a chance. So no doubt hard for those drawn wide or who settle last, but it does give those midfield a bit better chance so overall the race can have more chances. All circumstantial on how a certain race is run though.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A great story about our own 'TooHard' as an MM promo from Cody

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-says-breeder/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    As a spectacle, the Miracle Mile is just another race these days, despite the "directors' picks" as to which horse gets an invitation.

I find it strange that the ID gets shortened as a series and heats held far and wide yet the MM (now) has "qualifiers". It is no longer an elite invitation race. It was a far greater, and fairer, spectacle when the six best horses in Australasia wee invited.

Then again, my memories of the race only go back to Lucky Creed's win (just a few years ago!). My favourite was Young Quinn in 1975 - had to listen to it on the tranny because I'd found something more interesting that Friday night!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Complements All Stars Website.....

ALL STARS AND THE MIRACLE MILE
    Mark will be hoping for a second training win in the Miracle Mile on Saturday night and if it happens he will know it has been well earned. So will Natalie. Both could tell you how hard a race it is to win. Bloody hard!. Even by super race standards
    All Stars has one on the board thanks to HAVE FAITH IN ME driven by Natalie in his fabulous, record shattering 2016 victory over Lennythshark. But both Mark and Natalie have hard luck stories in other runnings of the race. BLACKS A FAKE posted two second placings for Natalie one by half a head. IL VICOLO was twice second also for Mark. The second time, when he went down to Iraklis in December 1996 they set a mile rate which was never bettered in the race while it was run over 1760m, which it was until 2009.
    JACK CADE trained and driven by Mark was second to Sokyola in 2003 and SMOLDA second to Lennytheshark last year when LAZARUS was third and WAIKIKI BEACH 4th. That makes six second placings between Mark and Natalie so perhaps Natalie's strike rate won her the drive this year !
    The race is also tougher for New Zealand horses to win than you may think especially given the number of superstar horses we have developed i n the last 20 years. Kiwi-trained horses have only won four Miles this century. Holmes D G won his second in 2000, Monkey King won the first mile race nine years later and Christen Me and Have Faith In Me have scored since.
    The other thing about the Miracle Mile- If you are an avid supporter of the Kiwis and you have heart problems-don't watch.
    Only one horse has won the race over the mile by more than 2 metres. Which isn't very far. The last three have been won by short half heads (nose to us) or a head and that tradition looks like continuing on Saturday. Only one of the mile races has not broken 1.51 and that was when Smoken UP easily beat Karloo Mick and Imamightyquinn back in 2011. There is no fear of a 1.51 mile this year with 1.47 under threat if we get the fireworks many are expecting,

MARK REPORTS

" I was disappointed with Partyon's work earlier in the week so I have taken her out of the Ladyship but I am pleased to say Piccadilly Princess is in a very good place and I am looking forward to a big race from her. If there is not a scratching by tomorrow I am likely to take All U Need is Faith out of the Derby where he is on the ballot. He has got a bit colty and harder to handle this week and I just don't think a spell in the detention barn will be easy on anyone especially as he needs another scratching to get in the race. So we might cut that factor out and get him home to look at the local features.
    Lazarus is doing well and I will give him a solid workout tomorrow (Thursday) I am happy but it is wrong to expect him to be where he was at the NZ Cup week and the Inter Dominion. But I am confident he will go a big race if he keeps going the way he is.
    I thought about the change of driver for a while before making the decision. As you say I have done it before in favour of Natalie and she drives the track so well there is nothing lost.
    There is always a lot of pressure associated with a horse like this and I thought if I could stick to the training and let someone else worry about the driving it would be better for the horse. Worrying about where he is at and worrying more about the racenight drive was just going to be too much.
    Having had so many relatively trouble free trips over here this year's has been a bit hard to take at times with the setbacks we have had but we have taken the same precautions and used the same approach as in the past and the staff has been just as good. It is just one of those things that happen to everyone in racing and you have to bear with it "

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    6 straight Gp1's and Gavin Lang not driving - seems strange
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Preview:

Tiger Tara: Can he lead? I don't think so. I think Anything For Love will cross him. From here he will get a gem of a run to the 350m but after that what will happen? Big chance he either won't get out or even worse get dragged back by a tiring AFL. Hard to see him winning, even if he did lead he will have to work mighty hard and be vulnerable late.

Anything For Love: If he reproduces last weeks run he just about wins. Only problem is he will face some more pressure early this week so that may be his undoing. Big chance especially if things can go right for him. Tritton is the best trainer of a Miler and AFL has continually shaved a second off his times each run this prep.

My Field Marshall: Mammoth final 800m and 400m last week. There is three horses going in relatively fresh with AFL, Kung Fu being the other two but those two are new kids on the scene whereas Field Marshall is the seasoned pacer who bypassed the Inter/WA Cup/Vic Cup/Hunter Cup path a few others have taken. I think this means he has had the best preparation for the Miracle Mile specifically so while he may not have the class of Soho and Laz he might just be the best prepared horse here tonight.

Jilliby Kung Fu: A repeat of the Chariots performance and he wins. Only problem is he won't be able to repeat that with AFL drawn inside him so will either have to go back for a chance of running on to a nice midfield finish, or what I would prefer Lee to do is chance his arm early and at least get in the race. He has serious gate speed and if he is a winning threat would need to cross. Has to risk having egg on his face to be any chance of winning.

Soho Tribeca: Pretty good draw to follow the speed across and lob in a handy position. Will probably be marginally better for the run last week and is the horse to beat. Will be perfectly poised to make a midrace move should the speed slacken or to pounce late.

Lennytheshark: I thought they should have went back last week so tipping they will this week. Dependent on tempo he will run past a few in the straight. He is only a length off his best at most, its just that others have risen through the ranks. Was over-rated going in to the Inters but is now being underrated. Big chance AFL and Kung Fu screw each other up, Tiger doesn't see daylight, Laz doesn't have the sprint and that Lenny is a little bit better than Charlaval and maybe even Field Marshall so Lenny fans should be getting on here. I've tried to steer people clear of Lenny in the past but at $21 the Vics should get on.

Charlaval: He deserved to get in the field on the back of his third but initially looked well out of depth and TAB put him up $151. On closer inspection I don't think he is quite as outclassed as that. His runs down the track he got back and they went 26 final quarters. He won't be too far off them.

Lazarus: If this race is 2400m he is $1.30, or possibly $1.50 after last week. Even over 2000m he is even money. But over 1609? Hard to see how he wins. I just don't see the sectionals that he will have to do and how that can lead to him winning, I keep running different scenarios but none really add up to him winning. He is a bit like Blacks a Fake in the sense they are head and shoulders over their opposition over 2100m+ because they can maintain just shy of a 100% sprint for longer than any other horse. While both Laz and BAF have elite turn of foot and can also maintain 100% sprint for a long period of time they are 'only' on par with the other elite horses when it comes to those attributes so a mile race drawn wide doesn't give them a chance to use their biggest weapon and run the others into the ground. Note Blacks a Fake never won a Miracle Mile. I can't believe I wrote out Lazarus $7.50 below it makes me sick!

My market Win/Place:
    Soho $3/$1.40
    AFL $6/$2.50
    Laz $7.50/$2.5
    MFM $7.50/$2
    Tiger $10/$3
    Kung Fu $15/$4
    Lenny $17/$3
    Charlaval $26/$7

Final Selections:
    Soho Tribeca
    My Field Marshall
    Anything For Love
    Lazarus
    Tiger Tara
    Lennytheshark
    Jilliby Kung Fu
    Charlaval

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good stuff Brenno, thanks
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread