Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MM and the Lead ups

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    When you convert the time to imperial and fifths like the Americans do it becomes 1.46.4 so it's equal third fastest. With US times .1 is 1/5 (the fraction one fifth) so a decimal time of 1.46.9 would become 1.46.4 (the .4 means four fifths) or it would be rounded up to 1.47.0, I'm not sure if they round up though. . People forget this. You will notice on the sub 1.48 performers list no time ran in the US or Canada will end in higher than .4 because the .4 means 4/5ths. So the decimal system is robbing our horses of some records.
    Great point Rick, I will pass that on to John Peck and see what he thinks it should be
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    When you convert the time to imperial and fifths like the Americans do it becomes 1.46.4 so it's equal third fastest. With US times .1 is 1/5 (the fraction one fifth) so a decimal time of 1.46.9 would become 1.46.4 (the .4 means four fifths) or it would be rounded up to 1.47.0, I'm not sure if they round up though. . People forget this. You will notice on the sub 1.48 performers list no time ran in the US or Canada will end in higher than .4 because the .4 means 4/5ths. So the decimal system is robbing our horses of some records.
    It would be equal second in a race, as Cambest's very old record was a time trial .
    The second and third horses times would be close to the winners.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Rick, John sensibly explained that you keep times as per region

If you were going to convert times for comparison it would still sit where John has it as it would have been rounded up. So overall it is Eq 7th race time

If it had been 1.46.8, it would have been Eq 2nd race time (with the US 1.46.4's)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I wasn't sure if they rounded them up or not. Anyway I think it should have stayed at 1.47.0 because that's where the clock stopped , I can't understand how they are sometimes wound back. I understand how quarters are rounded up or down to one decimal place but you can't wind the overall time back to the previous second.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    At 1.46.9 they are doing 15.05 m/sec so every horse from the Winner to AFL have broken 1.48
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Soho Tribeca may prove to be the future stallion prospect (for breeder Robert Watson)

When you look at descendants of 2nd dam Amarillen, you wonder whether this could be the beginning of a dynasty

http://classicfamilies.net/CF/Descen...rseID=10113052

(don't forget to click on the + box for Pixel Perfect)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Fair call Kev, Nice family and Soho Tribeca is as tough as old boots

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Went down Saturday night and what a night, weather conditions were perfect for fast times and the barrier draw for the mile ensured there would be no easy time for anyone at any stage, I tipped very early in the day a possible sub '47 mile due to the above factors and we were not disappointed.

With regards to the debate about whether it was the fifth/seventh or whatever fastest mile in history, lets take into account the winner was never on the pegs, nor was the hugely courageous Jilliby Kung Fu ( now there is the next superstar if he stays sound), how many of the records taken in the North were sitting one off the pegs/fence the entire journey? I don't know but I'd hazard a guess at less than 50%.

I have always known and put forward that our horses were at LEAST the equal of the Northern Hemisphere, people keep on saying it's because of the top US/Canadian sires being made available, but that is marketing spiel, nothing more nothing less. Our horses were going to the states and beating them at their own game in the sixties and early seventies before we had an influx of predominantly low grade sires imported and marketed as the best thing since sliced bread by at least one shrewd Kiwi bloke that made a fortune out of dragging our breed back a generation or two in the name of his own bank account.

Evolution is why the horse are going so much quicker and we see spurts in evolutionary advancement from time to time, as Frank Irvine's father said to him about 100 years ago," one day the pacers will go as fast as the "runners" ( gallopers)" he meant that he was seeing great strides in evolution even then ( much bigger strides than we see now) and had great faith in the breed. And I believe he was correct, it won't happen in my lifetime that a standardbred will run 1.30 for a mile, but it will happen sometime in the next 100 years.

cheers,

Dan

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Well said Dan, I had that exact conversation with Bob McArdle a couple of years ago. Been away for a while and missed a lot but I’m real happy to see that the Breeders Of Jilliby Kung Fu are Dean and Blanche Poole from Victoria, They are terrific people and I’m very happy for them

+ Reply to Thread