Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sushi Sushi

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I find it interesting that Sushi's detractors have not taken into account the fact that BOTH his Sire & his Dam raced very successfully at 4yrs and whilst his Sire was then retired to stud, his dam raced through until she was 6 or 7.... and with around 2/3rds of her career outings seeing her racing against Open Company/FFA & GC horses. For mine, this is a horse that shows no signs whatsoever...be they physical, mental or raw ability wise...of not going on with it at 4yrs+ and his bloodlines do not indicate anything even remotely close to it. Barring illness or injury, I would be stunned if he doesn't end up going at it head to head with another horse that I think will become a Grand Circuit star in short order, Smiling Shard. About 12-18 months ago the same 'he's not big enough for the Grand Circuit' bullshit was bandied about by some people whenever his name was mentioned btw.

Thats exactly what I was after TripleV, some detail around why people think he will kick on/won't kick on, his family history, etc etc.

Thanks mate

triplev123
    You're welcome VK.

Member Filly latemail_cam will become famous soon enough latemail_cam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cameron Lee
    Occupation
    CEO
    Very interesting topic.

I'm agreeing that he will go on and be a grand circuit champion simply because he is versatile and can lead or sit sprint on fast times.

Alot of star youngsters dont go on because they dont have the leg power, if you can run 54 halves at 3yr your going to match it with the big boys.

You can be a a star 3yr old winning in 56 halves but once you get to the elite and they are running 55 halves thats 1 second faster which is roughly 13 metres difference.

Go Sushi Sushi

triplev123
    Not that there would be any point in doing so BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A BIG $$$ 3YO COLTS RACE THAT WOULD ENCOURAGE THEM TO DO SO (for Christ's sake someone take note of that) but if we did and it was decided to really open Sushi Sushi up over the Mile at Menangle then I'm telling you that he blows through 1:50 like it's a piece of tissue paper. I reckon he has got a high 1:48's low 1:49's in him right now. Add on a couple of years worth of maturity and racecraft and he will be a 3 Headed Gorilla, no risk.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    I dont beleive anyone on here is detracting from what Sushi has achieved. Only questioning his future. While I am in the clear minority here I agree with ringmans assessment of his future. He will win more races but I doubt his ability to dominate the grand circuit ala Smoken Up, Blackie etc. While his record is impeccable he has raced with blessed barrier draws and charmed runs while his main opposition in hardly a sterling crop of 3yo's, Excel Stride, has been dealt horror draws time after time. Excel Strides effort to get within 7m of him after his run was exceptional. Excel Stride ran him to 2.5m from the 3deep to the chair in the Breeders Challenge so is Excel Stride going to be 2.5m after death seating off the top line GC'ers. Then again opinions are like aholes, everyones got one. Time will tell who's right. My moneys on ringman. Juicy odds by the look of it too.
    What is wrong with this year's crop of 3YO's. Excel Stride is a very good horse, he would be hailed a great horse in almost any other year. He has just been unlucky to run into Sushi and to always fair worst in barrier draws.
    He has put up some mighty runs to chase Sushi home but the 2.5m margin you mentioned could easily have been 12.5m had Greg Sugars moved a muscle.
    Excel Stride will find it much harder than Sushi IMO to compete in open company because he lacks gate speed. He will always be doing it the hard way, putting up great runs, but getting beaten.

Suggesting that Sushi will not measure up because Captain Joy hasn't is ridiculous. There could be any number of reasons why Captain Joy has not performed as well as an aged horse but despite that he is not in the same class. Sushi won the Vic Derby in 1:55.7 as he liked (Captain Joy won in 1:58.9). Sushi won the Breeders Challenge in 1:54.1 untouched, (BAF's track record is 1:53.8 - Captain Joy won in 1:55.5). Sushi won the Breeders Crown unextended in 1:54.4 (track record is 1:54.2 - Captain Joy won in 1:57.6). Sushi won the Great Northern Derby in 1:57.4 for 2700m (NZ 3YO record, 3rd fastest time ever by any age group, CUF won in 1:59.7, Elsu in 1:59.6, Changeover in 1:59.6, Monkey King in 2:.02)
    Leading into the GN Derby, Sushi worked out with Imthemightyquinn. ITMQ led and Sushi ran him to a head. I cannot wait to see what he does when sucked along and let out at the top of the straight.

Yet, for some reason, you are telling us that Sushi's crop of 3YO's are not that great and he is unlikley to measure up as a grand circuit. What are you guys on !!!!

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    please dont put me with the others..all i said is he wont dominate the GC, but i definitely agree he will be a big player

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    Cheers eliteblood, like I said with triplev123, its good to read posts which examine the similarities/differences between the 2 horses.

Wasn't trying to to knock the horse, just get some more learned points of view.

Speaking of Captain Joy, Excel Stride could be a bit like Bonavita Bay, in that he's always going to have to do it tough, circling the field and sitting in the death. Will be interesting to see how they both fare in the coming years.

Cheers

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Triple,

I tend to agree, he has one of the most efficient actions I have ever seen and he glides round Menangle beautifully. Sub 1:50 wouldn't be an issue for him. Imagine him rolling off the back of a hot speed and chasing something down, then we would see the real Sushi!!
    "Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Zen Guide to Life

triplev123
    I reckon he is every inch his mother, gait, everything, right down to him having her racing mannerisms. The tail cocking & swish when he's asked for more or cut loose, that's Sabilize.

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    i'm pretty sure bonavista bay is finished, anyone know more then me?

+ Reply to Thread