+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sushi Sushi

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    So no comparisons with Captain Joy, who hasn't gone on with it as an older horse to date.

Captain Joy was right at the the top of the tree as a 2 Yr Old but was simply dominant as a 3 Yr Old up until the Breeders Crown. Likewise Sushi Sushi was a very good 2 Yr Old, but has been brilliant this season.

Note this is not knocking of the horse in any way (or Captain Joy for that matter), just interested in others opinions.

Cheers

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Ahh you've got to love the good old Aussie knockers.... Why can't we just appreciate and enjoy a freak of nature rather than plot his potential fall from grace??

Considering Blacks a Fake holds the world record for 2300m at 1.53.8 and Sushi went 1.54.1 as 3yo over that distance in the Breeders Challenge final I'm thinkin he is in pretty good shape to take on open company!!

Size means nothing when it comes to racetrack ability.
    "Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Zen Guide to Life

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    captain joy hardly disapointing village kid

hes not in the bracket of ITMQ, feelgood or SU or blackie

but hes certainly in the next tier,

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    As I said I'm not knocking either hores Sushitrain, they've both been wonderful performers but with the imposing record Captain Joy ran up as a juvenile, its fair to say he perhaps hasn't lived up to expectations as a 4 and 5 yr old.

18 from 23 as a 2 and 3 Yr old, including a Breeders Crown and 3 Derbies, then only 2 wins from 22 starts as a 4 and 5 Yr Old. One was a impressive win in an M2-M4 at Menangle, another a Dead Heat at Albion Park. He has run terrific races in defeat, but its still a significant statistical drop off.

Given some physical similarities between the pair, and the fact both improved signficantly from their 2-3 Yr Old campaigns, perhaps thats why there was the question raised about Sushi Sushi's ability to dominate at the next level.

It's not a knock on the horse, more an observation. As I said there are many on here that know more than me, but just wonder if he'll have more success than Captain Joy.

Cheers

Real Name
    Unknown
    i think the fact that sushi went to nz and won the derby there proves hes a class above the rest of the standout juveniles, until you reach CUF

triplev123
    I find it interesting that Sushi's detractors have not taken into account the fact that BOTH his Sire & his Dam raced very successfully at 4yrs and whilst his Sire was then retired to stud, his dam raced through until she was 6 or 7.... and with around 2/3rds of her career outings seeing her racing against Open Company/FFA & GC horses. For mine, this is a horse that shows no signs whatsoever...be they physical, mental or raw ability wise...of not going on with it at 4yrs+ and his bloodlines do not indicate anything even remotely close to it. Barring illness or injury, I would be stunned if he doesn't end up going at it head to head with another horse that I think will become a Grand Circuit star in short order, Smiling Shard. About 12-18 months ago the same 'he's not big enough for the Grand Circuit' bullshit was bandied about by some people whenever his name was mentioned btw.

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Sushi will be right ... He wasnt a great 2yo, a very handy one but nothing that we dont see year in year out. Natural progression this season has seen him become a star. Another break and another season of natural progression than look out. Nothing will get near him as a 4yo.

The most defining thing about him that I can see has been his ability to hold his form over a very long period of time (credit must go to connections) and the km's he's covered. Its not easy to do what he did in a VIC Derby than go across to NZ and beat them. Than come back here and pretty much not let anyone get close to him.

There is no point knocking him around as a 4yo. A nice break now which should help him "grow" (if thats what everyone is worried about). He is a special animal, put together perfectly, all the tools to get the job done, size isnt everything. Hes a gelding, hes got 4 or 5 years left of good racing in him. 10-15 starts a year will be plenty. A nice steady 4yo year, a few nice features that he should just win, maybe a trip to NZ which will toughen him up abit than a nice long break this time next year and than he will be ready for the big boys. Smoken Up will be getting old than, the grand circuit will be up grabs. Horses like Sushi, Lanercost, David Hercules will be the ones we are talking about this time next year.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    I dont beleive anyone on here is detracting from what Sushi has achieved. Only questioning his future. While I am in the clear minority here I agree with ringmans assessment of his future. He will win more races but I doubt his ability to dominate the grand circuit ala Smoken Up, Blackie etc. While his record is impeccable he has raced with blessed barrier draws and charmed runs while his main opposition in hardly a sterling crop of 3yo's, Excel Stride, has been dealt horror draws time after time. Excel Strides effort to get within 7m of him after his run was exceptional. Excel Stride ran him to 2.5m from the 3deep to the chair in the Breeders Challenge so is Excel Stride going to be 2.5m after death seating off the top line GC'ers. Then again opinions are like aholes, everyones got one. Time will tell who's right. My moneys on ringman. Juicy odds by the look of it too.

Junior Member Weanling Just because will become famous soon enough Just because's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Sushi Sushi has a tremendous chance of going onto to be successful in open class.

As Triple mentioned he is by a Champion Sire out of a Champion mare. Sabilize won 31 from 54 and raced the best. 2nd and 3rd in the miracle mile, won the Newcastle mile and the Ladyship. The depth on both side of his pedigree will only help him.

He has only had 13 starts this past season and hasn't seem to have been cooked in any of them. At the moment horse/driver/trainer would have more confidence than Muhammed Ali at his prime.

They are a smart crew I believe they will pick the eyes out of the 4yo classics before going on the grand circuit, such as: Nugget, McInerny Ford, the two NZ features, the Chariots. Plenty for him to win and earn in.

Also our open class ranks seem to be thin. Whether it is the proliferation of juvenile racing but not as many horses seem to be going on or emerging out of the blue at 4, 5 or 6.

Real Name
    Unknown
    i think this needs clearing up... for me its not whether he will DOMINATE grand circuit, (blackie if the only horse ive ever see do it).. but its whether he will be a quality GC horse rather then an also ran, ie; in all the finals, winning ID heats, making the miracle mile field...but not necessarily blowing horses off the track every start as it is impossible at that level

+ Reply to Thread