Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Melb Showgrounds

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Unhappy

Not to mention timber sulky shafts. Len Towers and Les Hildebrandt both met grizzly ends. Neil Cavallaro's top filly Rosewood Dream copped a broken shaft through the neck at Bendigo one night.

A much safer sport now. Some might say blander, I say less gladatorial.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumEdition View Post
    Thanks very much guys, much appreciated.
    I know that Carl O'Dwyer was a part owner with Tom Taylor and driver of a good trotter named Fiery Luck but did he have any connection with a Hunter Cup winner ?

Hanna's Boy, Hunter Cup of 1979

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Not to mention timber sulky shafts. Len Towers and Les Hildebrandt both met grizzly ends. Neil Cavallaro's top filly Rosewood Dream copped a broken shaft through the neck at Bendigo one night.

A much safer sport now. Some might say blander, I say less gladatorial.
    But as you would appreciate 'Showgrounds' - we miss the colosseums for the atmosphere they created
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Carl trained Hanna's Boy, one of the more obscure Hunter Cup winners. 1979 from memory.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    But as you would appreciate 'Showgrounds' - we miss the colosseums for the atmosphere they created
    Yeah, the marvelous sight of beaten favourites and their drivers being pelted with drink cans as the returned to scale is sorely missed by bogans everywhere.

The steel back wall and roof of the AG Hunter Stand wise like a giant speaker system and the boos resonated throughout the Ascot Vale night. You'll never hear anything like it these days because our administrators think they are catering for the public. Die-hards at the Showgrounds were happy with a bag of doughnuts, a cup of flavoured milk or, more likely, a few pots of beer from a pop-up bar in a cattle pavilion.

Gee, I wish I hadn't thought of the doughnuts, I know have the urge to have the roof of my mouth seared and my bottom lip and chin scalded by some red-hot raspberry jam!

Junior Member Foal paul rowse will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Paul Rowse
    Hi Bob,

The starter was George Rowse my grandfather. He was also a Foundation Member of the Ballarat Club before going to work for the Trotting Control Board (Now HRV).

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul rowse View Post
    Hi Bob,

The starter was George Rowse my grandfather. He was also a Foundation Member of the Ballarat Club before going to work for the Trotting Control Board (Now HRV).
    G'day Paul,

Welcome to the forum, btw do you have any thoughts on sprint lanes and Inter Dom heats?

Junior Member Foal paul rowse will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Paul Rowse
    Thanks Wayne, I think the Inter is bigger than any one Club and consistency throughout the series would be paramount in the Event organisers thinking.
    Last edited by paul rowse; 04-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by paul rowse View Post
    Thanks Wayne, I think the Inter is bigger than any one Club and consistency throughout the series would be paramount in the Event organisers thinking.
    Hi Paul
    When does the Ballarat sprint lane go in?
    Or is it the other way around, and the Melton and Cranbourne sprint lanes come out ?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    With the redevelopment of The Showgrounds being in the news this month - given $1.5m to develop a Master Plan

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/ne...4f292f54aeb138

I don't suppose there is any chance of a trotting track

After all the 2017 Back to Wayville meet attracted more people than Melton's ID18 despite their smaller population

Nostalgia
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread