Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Melb Showgrounds

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    I won't be going on a diet in anticipation of eating my words, Kev. Not unless we accept 700 metre tracks as the way forward or are happy to bowl over heritage listed buildings.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s may be there was a proposal for the Melbourne Showgrounds to become Essendon's home ground. While that never grew wings it did become home ground for the Western Jets under 18 team.
    Is there anything to rule out moving a heritage listed building?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Depends on how deft a touch the bulldozer operator has over his machine, I guess.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Depends on how deft a touch the bulldozer operator has over his machine, I guess.
    Trevor!
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Yes, I remember how tiny this cottage was when I went through it with my primary school. Somewhat smaller than the 1,500 square metre Agricultural Hall and the adjacent Public Stand at the Showgrounds are. As is Centennial Hall where Master Chef is filmed. And to prove heritage listing does not necessarily mean ancient so is the Pie in The Sky, an elaborate advertising hoarding erected by Four'n Twenty Pies when it's factory was a tram stop away in Union Road, not Bairnsdale.

Come to think of it I might investigate whether I can get heritage protection, surely I have eaten enough pies!

Nah, won't happen unless HRV starts the ball rolling by forcing a club like Horsham back to its local showgrounds where a smart horse can break 2:10 from a stand.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I lived in Horsham for a year in the 70's and prefer the old showgrounds as the new track has zero atmosphere. (Now live < hour away)

They don't have to deconstruct and reconstruct in another country with this one and I think we both know that the ability to do it is even more advanced nowadays

It comes down to how hard we lobby (and whether we are the best co-tenant) and how agreeable RASV are?

The other sticking point may be how agreeable the industry are to the possible repurposing of Melton
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Maybe HRV should conduct an industry survey in regards to the level of support for the showgrounds opportunity
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    "Has the time come for harness racing participants to decide what is more important attracting more people to attend and then become involved
    in our sport as owners and breeders or just rely upon the punter to grow harness racing
    For more people in the highly populated inner metro population of Melbourne to become involved they won’t travel to Melton and they need to be entertained
    at a level that goes beyond a two minute harness race ever half hour or so

Harness Racing in Victoria is heavily reliant upon wagering turnover and resultant revenue and whilst Covid 19 has assisted all 3 racing codes and sports betting to increase turnover
    harness racing continues be at the bottom when it comes to wagering market share.In year ended 2019/2020 the Victorian market shares were Thoroughbreds 61.05%; Greyhounds 17.52%; Sports betting 13.05%; and Harness Racing a mere 8.37%.
    When the Covid effect diminishes HRV will need additional income streams if it is to maintain let alone increase stake money

The challenge with the move to the showgrounds is track size but the options to attract more fans wherever racing is held are large tracks (less atmosphere/excitement and less fans) or smaller tracks more atmosphere/excitement and more fans
    Proof of this is the Little Brown Jug and Cup and Saucer run in Delaware and Prince Edward Island both on 800 metre tracks with track records of 1:49.0 and 1:50.1 respectively
    and annual attendances of 40 – 50,000 for the Jug and 20,000 (maximum capacity) for the Cup and Saucer (population of the Island 160,000 and the race is run at midnight)
    In Australia Gloucester Park is a unique and versatile venue in Perth, showcasing exciting harness racing every Friday night. The superbly appointed facilities include 3 restaurants operating during race nights and 9 function rooms available for private hire on any day or night of the week.
    This 804 metre track attracts the highest number of regular fans of any metropolitan track in Australia with mile rates in the mid 1:50’s not unusual

So is there a once in a lifetime opportunity to revive the interest and attraction to harness racing in Victoria and subsequently ensure a prosperous future for up and coming participants?
    If the stumbling block is a heritage building why not resite it in another section of the Showgrounds and why not hand Melton back to the State Government in return for a first class entertainment venue
    operating seven days a week at the Showgrounds in order to generate a vital new income stream for the industry delivering higher stake money"

Ray Chaplin Equine Excellence
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...rting-in-2022/

MELBOURNE SHOWGROUNDS

I don’t know if there’s a one per cent or 50 per cent chance, but as long as this is any hope at all it will be number one on my wish list, not just for Victoria but the Australian industry.

There is no magic pill to take harness racing back to its glory days, but to have a new track, smack-bang in the middle of the city and next to the home of the Melbourne Cup would be something special.

I’m told talks are ongoing with the Royal Agricultural Society, who must surely be in need of some partners after Covid-19 has cruelly denied them holding the Royal Melbourne Show for the past two years.

I can’t see anything but a massive win/win for a total development of the area to include a harness track with a greyhound track inside it.

It would give us a world-class racing precinct with the marquee track for all three codes alongside each other.

It’s no secret Dale Monteith and Dayle Brown want it and we’re lucky to have a passionate, engaged and understanding racing minister in Martin Pakula at the big table to help make it happen if possible.

Of course, it’s not as easy as it sounds, but where there is a will, there is surely a way.

Keep everything crossed.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread