Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vincent to stand at Alabar

Hybrid View

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Vincent to stand at Alabar

http://www.alabar.com.au/news/vincen...-and-nevele-r/

Maybe Vincent will be the sire to carry on the Art Major line

His immediate dams are top shelf too but he will have to become family U339's first successful sire
    although it could be said that the family has only come to the fore since Kentucky sired Play The Field to kick start this arm

http://classicfamilies.net/CF/Family...ilyNumber=u339
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Vincent rates with the very best young horses I have seen. His NZ Derby win was a remarkable staying performance, probably the only time he has ever been asked to race on full throttle, His Breeders Challenge Final win last season was breathtaking - 3 wide the first half mile then faced the breeze to win untroubled and untouched in 1:50.2.

The relevance of sires, or lack of, in his family is neither here nor there. John Saunders Jones sent his mare Saunders Directa to board at BJ Lodge in the 1970's and the UK-bred mare with some old German trotting blood has became the foundation of an outstanding family in the subsequent 4 decades. This has been due to some of the good fillies in the family leaving even better fillies - such as Self Denial, Full Pleasure and her daughter Kept for Pleasure (dam of Vincent) now making there mark in the broodmare ranks. Check Full Pleasure's breeding record - unbelievable - and Vincent's half sister Mackenzie has won around US$360k in the past year and is being widely acknowledged as the best pacing mare in North America.

The sires on Vincent's dam side have all been leading sires - Safely Kept, Armbro Operative, Kentucky, Hilarious Way and Holly Sand, who sired Saunders Directa while in quarantine in Wales en-route to Neptune Stud in Tasmania.

And Vincent is a magnificent horse in all respects. Don't be fooled into thinking he has been a bargain buy, he is probably one of the most sort-after stud prospects in the world. It has taken more than 6 decades since Noel Simpson started importing US stallions on an almost wholesale basis to improve our breed to the point that an Aussie-bred is now considered to be the top of the tree. In true Aussie fashion, he also has plenty of US, British and German bloodlines to be called an Aussie. I don't expect him to stand at a bargain basement price, either.

It's great that heavyweights of the industry, Alabar and Nevele R, have recognized Vincent's potential (especially in NZ which is screaming for alternative bloodlines) and pulled off the deal.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    It has taken more than 6 decades since Noel Simpson started importing US stallions on an almost wholesale basis to improve our breed to the point that an Aussie-bred is now considered to be the top of the tree.
    Sorry to disagree Trevor but I think is has taken 6 decades to erase some of the damage brought on by the importation of such a long line of hacks...yes there were a couple of exceptions to that rule, the breed down under was in my opinion up until that point superior to what was on offer in the US and Canada, mainly due to a couple of exceptional sires that emerged locally AND a distinctly different gene pool that has never been given credit for its influence.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Lazarus's owners are also accepting offers from studs. If he's bought, his racing career is over. WA's Rob Watson even put his hat into the ring.
    I'd personally prefer Vincent as a stallion over Lazarus

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    Lazarus's owners are also accepting offers from studs. If he's bought, his racing career is over. WA's Rob Watson even put his hat into the ring.
    I'd personally prefer Vincent as a stallion over Lazarus
    Just to Clarify...
    https://www.hrnz.co.nz/news-and-even...rs-for-lazarus

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Sorry to disagree Trevor but I think is has taken 6 decades to erase some of the damage brought on by the importation of such a long line of hacks...yes there were a couple of exceptions to that rule, the breed down under was in my opinion up until that point superior to what was on offer in the US and Canada, mainly due to a couple of exceptional sires that emerged locally AND a distinctly different gene pool that has never been given credit for its influence.
    My fault Dan, I wrote with much haste. Perhaps I should have used the word DESPITE before mentioning the Simpson imports. Old Noel certainly foisted plenty of greyhound feed upon us over the years. I heard many decades ago that Thor Hanover was the dearest stallion he bought, I believe for US $25,000. Most of his run of the mill purchases were in the $3 - 6K bracket. Many performed accordingly at stud. I heard the only reason he was able to buy Thor is the Yanks didn't rate him as a stallion prospect. As good as he was as a sire of racehorses I believe Thor's record as a broodmare sire paints the Yanks as being pretty astute.

No doubt one of Noel's greatest legacies was for studs to set their sites higher when obtaining stallions capable of improving the breed. Bernie Ahern, who new more about money than he did about standardbreds, set the ball rolling buying Hilarious Way and Kentucky in the 1970's. Would Alabar be the breeding business it is today had Allan Galloway not bit the bullet and obtained three outstanding sires in the late 1980's - Safely Kept, Whats Next and Golden Greek? Later on, Armbro Operative proved an outstanding sire

A study of Vincent's pedigree shows how much the breed has improved over four decades from the time a humbly bred Holly Sand mare landed in Australia. Hilarious Way, Kentucky, Armbro Operative and Safely Kept popping up on his maternal side, and being by Art Major, gives Vincent a compelling case to make a stallion. I reckon it is a pretty good story.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Vincent's fee is set at $4950 inc GST (Australia) or $4500 plus GST (NZ). More attractive is one of the 30 lifetime breeding shares.

See here http://www.alabar.com.au/news/vincen...ce-fee-is-set/

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Book full and closed in both Australia and NZ.

Excellent response from breeders for a first-year sire when the breeding season is still three weeks away in Australia.

+ Reply to Thread