Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you like it with the lights on or lights off?

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Greg

In the Peppertree brochure that i have recieved it states semen will be collected and sent out from the 14th of september i have also been informed that Rob has notified Harness Racing about this. He done a study on mare's being served earlier in the season to later in the season and off the top of my head the average for mare's being served early (oct) they were averaging going 23 day's over compared to mare's served later (late nov) which i think might of been around 9 day's over on average.
    [VVV] Makes perfect sense to me.

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    are any other studs doing this?

if not rockn roll heaven might be about to get another mare

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    In the Peppertree brochure that i have recieved it states semen will be collected and sent out from the 14th of september i have also been informed that Rob has notified Harness Racing about this. He done a study on mare's being served earlier in the season to later in the season and off the top of my head the average for mare's being served early (oct) they were averaging going 23 day's over compared to mare's served later (late nov) which i think might of been around 9 day's over on average.

Wait until you get a normal season weather wise their will be a lot of foaly fired yearling's around the joint.
    Yes Mango i saw that study and as you state early Oct served not Sept and going by 23 day's over on average (Sep ) that would make the foal's born on or before the Sep 14 or earlier and if foaled to the day or early the foal's would be born on or about Aug 21 is this correct ? Wait until you get a normal season weather wise and you will have trouble getting them in foal this early i would think just my thought's
    Last edited by Greg Hando; 08-26-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    No matter how you look at it they will be born after the 1st of september if you know what i mean.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    No matter how you look at it they will be born after the 1st of september if you know what i mean.
    Yep; its not like an August 30 foal is going to have its breeders rushing off to tell the authority!

Is there any examples of August (or earlier) foals?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Who is asking?

In the next year or two the rules will change and you will be allowed to have foals born from the 1st of August onwards(money gets what money wants) and
    it should be this way.
    Benefits - yearling sales, etc etc
    Last edited by justdoit; 08-27-2011 at 12:33 AM.

triplev123
    The early foal routine is a myth, a furphy, it's an old wive's tale.
    It's so out there and far from reality that you could be forgiven for thinking that John Messara had popped by & come up with it in order that it be added to all those other Pearls of Wisdom he expounded during the EI outbreak.
    Over the years, at the Sales I've seen trainers put a pen through yearlings born after a given date, generally an arbitrary cut-off point that they happen to have stuck in the heads and with nothing concrete to back it up, and they'll do this without even looking at the individual. Absolutely ridiculous, IMO.
    Individual is the operative word there. The fact is some youngsters are more mature that their counterparts despite having been born later and some are less mature that their counterparts despite being earlier.
    Statistically, and I wish I could find a copy of the wastage study & report done here in NSW a few years ago now, more 2yo winners are born between the middle of October and the end of December than at any other point & contrary to popular belief, pound for pound the really early foals have no advatange over their later born compatriots.

Real Name
    Unknown
    i think its still important for one main reason, by having an early foal you have a higher chance of getting your mare back in foal

more time left in the breeding season generally means more shots at getting them in foal... basically a broodmare is worthless if it isn't in foal

unless your sneakily foaling back in june (and have the freezebranders on your side) a small yearling is always going to be small come sales time

and aussiebreno, i'm sure there are early foals born, some studs or agistment farms would only to have a falling out with someone to end up in the shit for misreporting foal dates

aussiebreno
    In the AFL draft and Under 18 state sides statistics show that kids born in the first half of the year far outweight the kids born in the 2nd half of the year. Forget the exact stat or a source but it was an amazing number the number of Jan-June kids compared to July-Dec kids. Remember these kids have 18 years growth, not 2 or 3, and hit puberty at different times; so as a GENERAL statement basing a human example to horses it would have to be of some benefit to have an early foal.
    But I'd have also thought giving the foal full time to mature in the womb would be of more advantage?

Real Name
    Unknown
    why dont we just officially bring the season forward?

solves a few problems brought up in the breeders panel paper
    1, mares can be served an extra time for the end of the season = more foals on the ground out of quality mares that would otherwise miss
    2, give an advantage to domestically based stallions who dont have to come back from america
    3, the foals born are probably going to be dropped pretty close to the same dates (if the study cited by pepper tree is factual)

+ Reply to Thread