Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do we make Harness Racing Significant again!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

How do we make Harness Racing Significant again!

I was about to post in another thread where the succes of Vic's tiered system experiment is being raised but realized I really want to talk about the BIG problem - we are becoming insignificant

I found a thread I started 4 years ago "How do we make Harness Racing strong via today's sports betting market" but I want us to think more broadly than the betting market.
    I am glad I found it however as the 2nd post was from Danno and read

The game needs more exposure to the wider public, in recent years we have been marketing the game to it's brethren.

How you do this is the tricky bit, we get next to no coverage ( unless it's bad) on Radio, TV and the papers, how can we change that?
    Does harness racing need a team of highly professional, "runs on the board" publicists? If so what shape does that take and how does it get paid for?

The gallops are facing a similar problem to us but from a completely different standing, look at the papers, they are getting a pretty fair run there.

No doubt David Martin is doing his best in Vic to improve the books but we need to come up with BIG ideas
    We have to make the Trots attractive. Seriously, have we ever tried to learn what works off the French or the gallops or anyone else.
    I don't read from enough sources and do little more than moderate this forum but I have not seen anything from Dale Monteith or the board so if anyone has, please post something positive to lift my spirits

I don't often see the Herald Sun but did yesterday and read that Roy Morgan research showed that while 11.5% of Vic 18yo+ had a punt in the last 3 months
    the research showed that men aged 50-64 are the most frequent punters while only 7.2% of 18-24yo's had placed a bet in the last 3mths

A radical idea would be for racing to offer something more than betting, be less reliant on betting eg. AFL

The Mission Statement of HRV's strategic plan talks about growing 'other revenue streams'

We need to attract some big sponsors from the top end of town

Under Marketing Strategies in the plan we find:

• Eliminate brand confusion
    • Market to new people outside existing industry
    • Change in Marketing focus and cost reduction
    • Work with clubs to increase attendance
    • Celebrate and promote our champions, both state-wide and regional
    • Extract more from our ownership of RSN and media relationships
    • Continue to increase ownership and involvement of syndicates
    • Develop and augment the Trots Community Card offering new benefits

How many of these have we done?

We got a new marketing manager back in November - coming up 5mths : What are we doing differently?

How is the Advisory Council going?

Tell me that things have improved since this thread 4 years ago

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...betting-market
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I know David Martin is trying and putting in the hard yards. He is very accessible and will always listen to peoples opinions. Our sport needs long term plans to improve involvement in breeding and ownership if it is to survive. Part of the problem is that these positions are political appointments and often change each time the state government changes. As a result these people only have a short time to make change so mainly concentrate on short term solutions that will increase turnover. Unfortunately they are mainly judged on turnover not numbers of bums on seats or participation or foal numbers.
    I think Martin Pakula and Dale Monteith have been absolute failures with the latter not even appearing to show any interest in Harness Racing and the other being found to have misappropriated government funds (most work places call this stealing) he is hardly the type of person to oversee integrity.

As for getting back on track and becoming significant again some things that need fixing are-

Sky racing, our main showpiece in just not doing anything to help us.
    Explore overseas betting on all our product not just some trotting races.
    Better advertising .
    Pushing more success stories like pony trots and the Hero program.
    Women are very successful in our sport, this needs more pushing, aim at attracting the female market.
    Syndication needs big support, you can get into our sport for less than half the price of the gallops and you have more chance of winning a race.
    Push the social side of a day at the trots. Racing has done a good job at this .
    Bigger and better all weather seating at Melton.
    Bring back standing starts.
    Get rid of the tiered prize money system and improve handicapping and programing to produce more even racing.
    Get more horse people on the boards.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Good post Kevin.

It's hard for a Marketing Manager to deliver significant achievements in just 5 months especially if they have limited industry experience. Furthermore, they may be constrained by the strategy, wrong KPI's etc.

Yes, we need leaders like David Martin. He seems to be making decisions based on the voice of his customers and has some short term wins. Let's hope that his early successes are sustainable and not at the expense of the breeders, owners etc. and future of harness racing.

We can look at Gallops, French, US etc. and should see what's working and what isn't. However, we do have different problems to them and so we need different solutions.

Australian Harness Racing is a different product in some ways with some real competitive advantages. We don't seem to capitalise on these to our benefit.

We need to solve our biggest Problems. What are they (top5)? Will more publicity help these?

Innovative thinking - See how the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) became a $4B industry in a short time from nothing. http://www.punditarena.com/boxing/jo...just-15-years/

Thanks,
    Last edited by alphastud; 04-28-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't know if I want to look at that many problems. I think our Biggest Problem is our shrinking profile - it would not surprise me if some people do not even know that we exist.
    I wanted to reply tonight Richard as I have a big week ahead but I'm probably not in the same mood that I was when I wrote the OP.
    What I will say for now in relation to our minute profile is that I think Rick is on the right track esp in regard to:
    • Sky racing, our main showpiece in just not doing anything to help us
    • Push the social side of a day at the trots. Racing has done a good job at this

I would add to these two that:
    • We need to develop a showcase race that people will come to consider our version of the Melbourne Cup and one that will be almost as well known one day (think Big people)
    • It imperative that we put on a good events or all the above amount to zip
    • I would amend Rick's last pt to: 'get more proven horse sports marketing people on board'

This post has not been carefully composed but sometimes the things that come to you straight away/that are at the front of your mind - are the best you can contribute anyway
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired

Unhappy

I believe the media could play a much bigger part in promoting harness racing but at the moment they have no interest in doing so. I remember back in the 60's, 70', 80's harness racing stories was well represented in the sporting section of newspapers now, however, it's just page after page of AFL with no trot stories at all well at least over here in the west. It's a sad reflection when harness racing TAB turnover has dropped below greyhound racing and that was something that was never contemplated in the past. It is a serious problem when we are at the bottom of the pile and showing little prospect of clawing our way back.
    Gutwagon mentioned about women being successful in the sport that they are but reality jolt people are not interested in women's sport and harness racing is in danger of becoming a ratio of 50:50 men and women. If that happens then it really is curtains.
    There is nothing we can do except hope that the trots can do a full circle and return to the halcyon days of previous decades. I may well be ''ye of little faith'' but I'm a realist and that's the reality of it.

Member Gelding David Martin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Martin
    Hi Kevin, always good to have you initiating discussions. The issue of significance or relevance is something that the Board and I have talked about quite a bit.

With big matters like this, there's rarely one single solution, but more an integrated strategy. Our updated 2017-2020 plan aims to increase our relevance through a series of initiatives inccluding those listed above. As Richard noted, our new GM Marketing (Andrew English) has been in the role for 5 months. During that time he has been focused on the 2017-18 elements of the strategy (p8-9) and it would be unreasonable to expect him to have also delivered the Marketing initiatives on p10.

In regards to the question of effectiveness of the Harness Racing Advisory Council (HRAC), we recently reviewed items that members had raised and there was unanimous agreement that a considerable number of initiatives had been implemented.

I also want to touch on the comments in regards to the Board. In my experience a good Board is one that is unified, is strategic and applies good governance, particularly through holding the CEO/Executive Team accountable. It isn't essential for a Board to have industry specific knowledge. Of course it is of value, but not at the expense of these other elements I have listed. In my short (15 months) as CEO of HRV, this Board has worked extremely well together, has been strategic, have freely expressed their (sometimes different) views whilst maintaining unity of the agreed outcomes, and importantly have held the CEO/Executive accountable for our implementation of the agreed strategy.

I see that Rick and others have already contributed a number of constructive ideas, some of which I agree with, and others I don't. I won't go through all of them here, but will read everyone's feedback because the discussion is helpful and similar to the HRV Board, this industry feedback helps to hold me/HRV accountable for a continuation of the turnaround that is already underway. I will say that we are very conscious of the need to do more for breeders, and it's only our financial situation that has limited what we have done in that area. The short-term focus on revenue generation has nothing to do with anyone's term of appointment, and everything to do with the need to return HRV to profit so we can do more for all stakeholders.

I look forward to reading everyone's contribution to this forum on this topic.

Cheers, David

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think I will narrow my wish list down even further to :

"Market to new people outside existing industry"

A better main showpiece / showplace than the existing Sky

I would liken us to an old fellow who has had a fall. He has a serious wound and we are devoting all our attention to stopping the bleeding so that he doesn't die but it was actually a heart attack that caused the fall and if we don't address this bigger issue too - his survival will be short-lived.

'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Rod, as for women's sport not being popular I have to disagree . The womens AFL here in Vic has been a huge success and they get many pages in our main paper even out of season. I don't see any issue with our sport becoming 50/50 male female. The world is 50/50 m/f and we are in an era of including women equally in everything. It will be many years before racing has the same amount of female participants as harness racing and I think this is an area we should capitalize on. Many females seem to gamble on poker machines, we need to get some of them to bet on harness racing.
    Don't die wondering !

Member Gelding David Martin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Martin
    Hi Rick, I agree with your comments on women's sport and the important involvement of female drivers who compete on an equal basis with men. That can only be a positive for our sport. Cheers, David

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Completely agree with Rick and David. As a point of difference what our sport offers is a totally inclusive sport in that we don't have a women's comp or men's comp. The fact that women have excelled in both training and driving is a feature of our sport. We don't have separate tribunals or rules and all can enjoy the love and competiveness of equine performance without prejudice. I can't see how that could be a negative in any way.

A current example of how highly regarded women are. With Maori Time being invited to compete in the Elitloppet there's been some social speculation over who will drive her. One name that's come up is Kerryn Manning.

As for popularity of stand alone women's sport you've only got to look at the national netball comp. If only harness racing could emulate the commercial, free to air television, exposure netball has achieved in the last couple of years.

+ Reply to Thread