Thread: Lazarus to the USA

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    In addition, they have to improve off one of the best trainers in the world.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Showgrounds speaks for himself, with tongue planted firmly in his cheek. Not ranting, just reading the valued opinions of people who all agree Lazarus is a champion. Except, not over a mile. And the Yanks ARE parochial about there sport. Insular about most things from what I've observed over my lifetime. Unlike us Aussies, who love our champions.

Perhaps not as much as we like to pick flaws in our champions, though. Any knocks on Lazarus? He failed to win a Miracle Mile. Perhaps that could be both his tries were at the end of two highly successful, if arduous, campaigns that began mid-spring. The MM is virtually the end of the big-money Grand Circuit races; given what the horse achieved both seasons before that race he was entitled to feel a little jaded.

Lazarus' sale should be celebrated as a huge landmark in Australasian harness racing. A huge landmark.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    As previously logged on this forum I am a HUGE Lazarus fan, that said, his dominance has NOT been at the mile in open age class, his dominance has been over a journey where his massive motor and tenacity see him head and shoulders above the rest. You can all speculate about training regimes etc, but the bloody horse is not a miler, look at Paul's ( Toohard) horse Anything For Love put him against Lazarus over the mile, he is not a long way off.....put the two horses together over 2400 metres...Lazarus would humiliate him.

I really want to see Lazarus kick some serious arse in the states because I think our breed has been dismissed for too long, but based on what I have seen from him over the mile, I think he will struggle to display his true ability, as he has here over the short distance in OPEN AGE CLASS, what he did as a 2 or 3yo in NZ or Aus will not help him where he is going.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I just can't see him showing his best over the mile.

cheers,

Danno

A wise old man once told me.....seek the facts, and deal only in facts.

cheers,

Dan

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As previously logged on this forum I am a HUGE Lazarus fan, that said, his dominance has NOT been at the mile in open age class, his dominance has been over a journey where his massive motor and tenacity see him head and shoulders above the rest. You can all speculate about training regimes etc, but the bloody horse is not a miler, look at Paul's ( Toohard) horse Anything For Love put him against Lazarus over the mile, he is not a long way off.....put the two horses together over 2400 metres...Lazarus would humiliate him.

I really want to see Lazarus kick some serious arse in the states because I think our breed has been dismissed for too long, but based on what I have seen from him over the mile, I think he will struggle to display his true ability, as he has here over the short distance in OPEN AGE CLASS, what he did as a 2 or 3yo in NZ or Aus will not help him where he is going.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I just can't see him showing his best over the mile.

cheers,

Danno

A wise old man once told me.....seek the facts, and deal only in facts.

cheers,

Dan
    Exactly. How does Jilliby Kung Fu and Field Marshall go against Laz at 2400m. Trevor didnt want to listen to that in the Miracle Mile thread either so after the race turned his attention to complaining about the race ! He scoffed at Ricks post in that thread but look what happened

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Can we please get back to Lazarus and leave your views about Trev somewhere else thanks

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I truely hope Lazarus excels in the U.S. but like Danno I have my reservations, his dominance has not been established in mile racing, and like Danno and others it will be sad not to see him continue that dominance downunder. There was a comment on the All Stars website that racing has begun to take a toll on him and an abbreviated 4 start campaign may be in his best interests.

Still with such a short window to display his talents in the states I think he does have the task ahead of him. Like Kev to gain widespread acceptance amongst breeders/trainers/yearling buyers in the states I believe he will not just have to match their achievements on the clock but better them.

As for doing their homework and the deal being commercially sound for his purchasers they are Americans involved in the TB industry and as far as I know have few if any Stb mares of their own. Like many wealthy Americans and the Thoroughbred industry this deal to me seems to be very much venture capitalism, similar to at TB yearling sales where extraordinary sums are payed for well bred colts in the hope they win a stallion making race and can be syndicated at tenfold or more the purchase price, if they don't the owners take their loss and move on to the next prospect.

All Stars website makes it clear that the new owners Taylor Made intend to further syndicate Lazarus, and no doubt are hoping to turn a quick profit on the deal, and no doubt prepared to suffer a much slower return or loss if the plan doesn't come off.

It didn't for Auckland Reactor some years ago, But for now we should all just yell as loudly as we can "Go Lazarus"

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good to have you back Dot
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Good to have you back Dot
    And such a succinct post.!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Can we please get back to Lazarus and leave your views about Trev somewhere else thanks
    Sure can...from an American perspective:
    From Horseman and World Fair:
    Lazarus Coming To America
    http://www.harnessracing.com/images/bin/9353.jpg

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Yeah, leave Trev alone!

+ Reply to Thread