Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA

Good night harness racing south of australia

Is the end nigh for harness racing in SA?

After discounting the SA Pacing Cup by $40k, Harness Racing SA are now dumping trials in an effort to save another $40k even though it's a service that encourages participation. (one of their strategic objectives)

"The reality is that while trials are a popular mechanism, utilised by owners and trainers to prepare their horses to race, the costs borne by HRSA in funding these trials meetings has becoming increasingly prohibitive"

What's this going to do to stakeholder / customer participation?

This short term financial benefit will quickly affect breeding, ownership etc. and ultimately revenue.

There must be better solutions to than to simply stop trials.

Where is the leadership?

See HRSA's 4 yr strategic review. It's 13 pages with big spaces and images. These 13 pages actually only amount to less than 1500 words. i.e. 2.5 normal pages in a word document. It's a joke. The board members present at that time apparently published it.
    "In February 2016, the Board of Harness Racing SA Ltd (HRSA) developed a new draft Strategic Plan for the next five years."

Current board members who were present at the time incl; Chris Hartwig, John Levy, Roland Roccioletti, Luciana Larkin and Lauren Giorgio. Some are doctors, accountants, solicitors and apparently business leaders and thinkers. They appear to be well credentialed and would have strong networks. They need to do better or resign.
    http://www.saharnessracing.com/site/...rsa/our-staff/

The website is a dogs breakfast. See http://www.saharnessracing.com/site/. It needs to be better.

They need new strategy, leadership etc. and lots of help before it's too late.

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=37397
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...6a451391a4fdbf
    http://www.harness.org.au/news/uploa..._FINAL2016.pdf
    Last edited by alphastud; 06-02-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We need BIG ideas people in every state (although WA may be going OK - I wouldn't know)
    SA does only have a population of 1.7m but Tassie only has 0.5m
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Ray Chaplin had told me a few years ago about the goings on in SA and warned the board at the time that moving to current location of Globe Derby Park would be a disaster, I’ve lost contact with Ray but if you can track him down Kev, I’m sure that he’ll have a bit to add to this
    Last edited by Richard prior; 06-02-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Well it's been a disaster 45 years in the making then Richard, cause that's how long ago they moved. Time hasn't stood still and Globe Derby is no longer a remote location north of the city but under pressure from residential development. The SA government struck a very poor deal when they sold the TAB and that is the crux of the revenue problems in the state. There are problems in SA between HRSA and the SAHRC which owns Globe Derby Park, and I understand the club have committed to sell the majority of the site to pay down debt. In the article it says that fortnightly trials are continuing at Gawler, and I think in time the Gawler club and track will be the new home of SA harness.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I see your point Dot, I think Ray was employed by them at the time in some capacity, Gawler had a pretty decent track down there but I believe that they sold part of it off for a few million dollars and the land was rezoned for Industrial, I haven’t seen what it looks like now but there were quite a few people around there on large properties with horses and the real estate people were knocking their doors down as the demand for housing is on the increase there also

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    No doubt there is population growth around Gawler as well Richard. The Gawler track was resumed by government around 10 years ago for a freeway extension. Although it took much longer then anticipated a new track at Gawler has recently been opened and has been used for trials for only a few months. I believe it is a 1000m track but not up to racing standard as yet and short of support infrastructure also still.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Yes I had a look on Google Earth, It certainly has potential

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    They ran a race meet at Gawler a couple of months ago

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Further news out of South Australia today from well known journalist/photographer Graham Fischer - posted on his Twitter account

"Times are definitely tough in SA Harness racing. No more Sunday morning trials at GDP. Now, highly respected form analyst Ben Harding and myself have been told our services no longer required after the end of the month. Where will cuts end?"

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Media release re SA harness racing

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=37492

+ Reply to Thread