Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Past Greats

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Past Greats

Wet weather has seen me enjoying Trots Vision and reading John Bradley's Modern Pacing Sire Lines (1999) between races. I thought I might share a few interesting facts in this thread while recommending JB's book which I think is still available

The great Pacing Machine and sire Cam Fella (1979) had to be gelded in 1997 to save his life and yet in that year at the age of 18 while on a North American tour and doing a lap at the Little Brown Jug he was feeling so good that he did the half-mile in 57
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    A lot of his son's also had to be cut later in life for the same reason testicular cancer.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Greg, would there be any connection to the fact that he was a rig?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Bret Hanover (1962) raced 68 times between the ages of 2-4 for 62 wins, 5 seconds and 1 third and so was never unplaced

He won his first 35 races

His only 3rd was at his last start in which he raced further than a mile for the very first time (1 and 1/8). He was all fired up that night and he went through the mile in 1.54.3
    If that had been the end of the race Bret would have paced the fastest race mile in the history of the sport; no Standardbred had ever raced a sub 1.55 mile

Bradley, John: Modern Pacing Sire Lines (1999)
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-15-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Foaling date
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Great Book

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Greg, would there be any connection to the fact that he was a rig?
    Don't know Kevin but perhaps it has

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Don't know Kevin but perhaps it has
    If they were rigs too then yes. The testicle/s retained in the abdomen experience higher temperatures then in the correct location of the scrotum and are at higher risk of becoming cancerous.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Friend of mine told me My Field Marshall is a double rig

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    If they were rigs too then yes. The testicle/s retained in the abdomen experience higher temperatures then in the correct location of the scrotum and are at higher risk of becoming cancerous.
    The few i know of weren't Rig's but were cut later in life after successful breedings.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Adios was bought by the Warner Brothers as a 6yo in 1946.

In 1947 "Harry Warner planned to start a Californian breeding farm with Adios as his stallion and Adios was bred to a few mares in 1947 and 1948 while also training and failing to get back tho the races."

Delvin Miller purchased Adios for $21,000 "in the fall of 1948 when the Warner brothers decided they did not want to be in the breeding business after all."

"In 1955, Hanover Shoe Farms' Lawrence Sheppard purchased Adios from Del Miller for $500,000. Later, Sheppard sold a one-third interest back to Miller and one-third to Max Hempt. Adios continued to stand at stud at Miller's farm with strong support form Hanover's great broodmare band. Adios's stud fee began at $300 and was $15,000 at the time of his death on June 22nd, 1965 - the highest in Standardbred history at the time. Also at that time, Adios's sons and daughters had earned over $14,000,000 and went on to earn even more. That figure was higher than any Thoroughbred stallion in that era."

Bradley, John: Modern Pacing Sire Lines (1999)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread