Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, I mentioned the 95% in the Breeding forum, do you think it was because there was only 100 lots
    Why was there only 100?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Yes, I mentioned the 95% in the Breeding forum, do you think it was because there was only 100 lots
    Why was there only 100?
    The Nutrien Sale. April 10 and 11. Many of the big breeders have switched over to the Nutrien sale.

https://www.nutrienequine.com.au/nut...ing-sale-2021/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    The Nutrien Sale. April 10 and 11. Many of the big breeders have switched over to the Nutrien sale.

https://www.nutrienequine.com.au/nut...ing-sale-2021/
    Oh yes, 285 lots even after withdrawals
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Day 1 of NZ Yearling Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    From today's Breeders Bulletin

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pl...rHNbgcwdLhGSrg

A 20% increase in price for the trotters and 85% clearance rate was a great way to start the day. The pacers achieved a similar average to last year with the sale achieving an amazing clearance rate of 95%.
    And good news from Day 1 of the NZ Yearling Sale:

Day One of trading at the 2021 National Yearling Sale kicked off with a strong benchmark after the Sale broke NZB Standardbred records selling 107 lots for a total turnover of $5,370,500, increasing more than 20% on last year’s aggregate.

The average rose to $50,192, with the median increasing to $40,000, while the clearance rate settled at a standout 82%.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I just got an email from Racenet about a new login so I visited their site for the first time for yonks
    And noticed that they now do the Dogs too
    No sign of Harness

https://www.racenet.com.au/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This is supposed to be a good news story

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...-into-blessing

But when I hear how many of them are contributing to the operation for $28k prizemoney in about 3 months - I can't help feel like it is chicken feed
    I know in our industry that 30 starters for $28k IS considered good
    Normally you would assume they are getting better training fees than this from the owners - owners literally 'support' trainers, but Adam owns the horses he races so I am thinking the prizemoney is pretty much it
    Despite these good results the stable cannot be affording a luxurious lifestyle after you take out all the expenses
    There can of course be additional returns from 'the punt' for some but that is called gambling
    Oh the love of the game
    Training horses reminds me of the old stories of men fulfilling their dream to buy a pub but then struggling to make ends meet

Of course I am reading a lot into this story and do not really know their circumstances

I know money is not everything and the joy of doing what you love (while surviving) is reward in itself but I would like success to be better than that
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Another $5k in the skyrocket for Adam tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#BAC25032109
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm ignoring the good on this thread just too hard to find the bad and ugly on the other hand. Gloucester Park harness racing what a pathetic joke it has become the same old horses lining up week after week boring racing doesn't infuse any excitement what so ever. Far too many racing programs in the country and city where declaring the quality of horse mediocre would be overly magnanimous. The trotting races are an absolute joke field dominated by the same one or two trainers making up most of the field.
    There are probably 8-10 horses racing in WA where you would be bothered to cross the road to watch a race.
    I just can't imagine one Millenial even knowing what harness racing was about let alone being an active participant. No chance of getting a younger generation interested in harness racing WA. Greyhound racing now takes precedence over Harness racing Australia wide especially on racing channels like sky racing one.
    Serious change is needed otherwise harness racing eventually will exist no more.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The new moderate 'PeterProfit' has been writing about the health or otherwise of HRV.
    The articles have in the main been well written (I have been wondering whether Archie has been getting some sleep or whether the articles are in fact him)

Today he makes the point that the improved prizemoney in Vic in the last 10yrs has been due to government grants in the vicinity of $8m
    He suggests that when Covid is finally beaten the reality is going to be that the government is in a big black hole and budgets are going to be cut all over town. He goes on to say that as much as we think harness is important, it is not to anyone else - even those in the broader racing industry and certainly pales when compared to things like hospital funding

I know you could counter that government earn a take from harness gambling but he could well be right
    The long and the short of it is, that he is saying that if we don't want to see prizemoney or tracks cut - we need to work on a plan now
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Maybe this is an answer. Toohard sent me this link. Horses as a tax deduction. Maybe this explains big prices like $800k for trotting fillies at the Lexington yearling sales

https://ctba.com/race-horse-depreciation-extended/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread