Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Is it sensible to have races scheduled before 12.30? (especially on a Sunday)
    The TAB holdings on the first 3 at Cobram today were pretty weak

You have to laugh at the effect that a small First 4 Jackpot has on the pools for the following race
    The First 4 for R6 had a pool < $5k and there was a jackpot of $3,400 or $1,700 (I never know whether to halve it) and as a consequence the First 4 pool for R7 was $24,500
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    What time does it get dark there now Kev? Can’t see any light towers at Cobram so presume it’s an unlit track. Turnover is important of course but some of these Sunday meetings are genuine community meetings and this is one of them, charity fundraiser for the McGrath Foundation so I think oncourse stuff today takes precedence over wagering.

I’m no punter, isn’t a jackpot into the first four pool a good thing?

Junior Member Weanling Galli will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    From the connections point of view those meetings are brilliant, especially this time of year! Nice day at the trots for the whole family and you get home while it's still daylight. Our Kyabram Cup meeting was a twilight meeting (what a joke - first race at 5:19pm). Full program of 11 races (and full fields too) - last race around 11pm. Sunday night. Much would prefer a day meeting for a cup day.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What I am laughing about Dot is that for a jackpot (free money) of as little as $2k the First 4 pool will go from $5k to $25k in the next
    That is the equivalent of a Powerball prize of $3m being advertised as $4m and instead going to over $20m - it would not happen
    But for some reason (the supposed pros - it has to be them for that weight of money) go ga-ga for a tiny jackpot

ps a 12.15 start and 25min between races would have been the go or just 8 races for a community meeting
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    But that is a good thing isn’t it Kev??

With thanks to today’s harness racing update:

https://harnessracingupdate.com/2019...arness-racing/

“HRU’s European correspondent Thomas Hedlund said Sweden’s V75 bet is the single biggest reason harness racing has been thriving in his country since the jackpot-style wager was launched more than 25 years ago.

As U.S.-born, Swedish-based trainer Jerry Riordan said, making the V75 available in family-friend areas such as grocery stores and gas stations — as opposed to bars that operate betting shops in France — creates great acceptance and exposure for the sport throughout Sweden at a young age. Harness racing is, surprisingly, a younger person’s game in Sweden compared to North America.

Even more exposure for the sport is achieved through live broadcasts of all V75 races on a Swedish national TV channel.

What’s most appealing about the bet is the potential for large jackpots. The payout record for the V75 is a life-changing 67.3 million Swedish Crowns (approximately $6.73 million U.S. dollars).

Think of it as a lottery asking people to handicap races rather than pick numbers. Instead of watching bouncing ping pong balls get selected out of a hopper, people watch horses race.

As to why other countries don’t follow Sweden’s lead and adopt the V75, Hedlund shook his head.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know. They should see and learn,” Hedlund said.“

If such a small jackpot grows our first fours as exponentially as you say it does Kev I don’t know why we don’t have the V75 either.........

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    Sweden is not the only country to have V75 (typical of them to claim so...). My native Finland has it well (and the industry is going even worse than over here...

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    But that is a good thing isn’t it Kev??
    Of course it is a good thing but I simply added it to point out that I find it humorous
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Galli View Post
    Sweden is not the only country to have V75 (typical of them to claim so...). My native Finland has it well (and the industry is going even worse than over here...
    So are you talking about funding, administration or “golf” in Finland?

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    SARCASM: Making the world a better place one insult at a time.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    So are you talking about funding, administration or “golf” in Finland?
    What has golf got to do with it Dot?
    Ah I have just re-read post 280 and see that you are just being cute
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread