+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Distribution of QLD prize money increase

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=38900

Certainly a different tack to HRV. I suspect Wayne will not be moving to Qld any time soon

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Of the 26 original Oz starters in the Inter (I am sticking with the scratching but not including the USA horse) only 4 are from NZ mares (15%)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You could say it is worse when it comes to Sires
    Before the scratching there was only 2 Southern Hemisphere stallions represented - now there are 3
    For A Reason (AU) Skyvalley (NZ) Courage Under Fire (NZ)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Distribution of QLD prize money increase

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=38900

Certainly a different tack to HRV. I suspect Wayne will not be moving to Qld any time soon

Would the whole Qld harness racing package make you Dot?

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I’m not a fan of heat, humidity, hendra or Queensland itch Wayne so no not likely to move to Qld but I imagine quite a number of those already residing there are happy with the whole package.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I’m not a fan of heat, humidity, hendra or Queensland itch Wayne so no not likely to move to Qld but I imagine quite a number of those already residing there are happy with the whole package.
    It's a way of getting around the C 5K level but I'm with you Dot, cane toads, bats and rashes do nought for me.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Oh yes forgot the cane toads, No.........

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Whilst I still don’t think I could reside permanently in Qld I am ok with visiting, and perhaps a mare or too of mine might not mind living in Qld full time. Whilst Wayne and maybe others don’t like the bonus schemes Qld have certainly upped the anty and have it all over everyone else now if they didn’t already with their bonus scheme.

The bonus may be a way round the $5k C races there Wayne ( they aren’t all $5k I saw some of $7800 to so those will still be more then Vic when the $5k goes to $7k.) but it looks a very efficient and inticing way to do it. There’s no age restriction just $10k bonus for first win and a $7.5k. bonus for a second win in a subsequent season. In form horse could win both in a short period straddling Aug/Sep. ( not enough for Bettors Delight but enough to go to Art Major that time of year!)but for most there’s a considerable incentive to keep racing for at least the length of time it takes to win the second bonus thus keeping owners with horses of marginal ability keen to chase a second big pay day.

So compare to Vicbred, one bonus only of $7k and only to 4yo, only half a bonus so $3.5k to horses 5yo and older. Where’s the incentive to keep a horse of marginal ability racing after that one big payday? In fact putting all 2win3yos into C1 class could see C0s eligible for a bonus spend less time in the racing pool then they did before. The incentive is in the prize money you say Wayne? But we know about half don’t race, and the next biggest group win only one race so after they win that race and first win bonus what keeps them going to seek a second win? It’s not Metro prizemoney, or country cups or Vic Cup obviously these are 1 win horses. So it’s C class ( ok they can race r class but we discussing 1 win horses here so no bonus for either state in R class)

So in Qld first C class win ( any age) in $5k C race nets approx $2700 prize money plus $10k so $12700 ( and it might have been $7800 C race so possibly $1400 more, $14100 total. In Vic first C class win will be in min $7k race so approx $3990 win prizemoney, so $1300prizemoney more plus $7k bonus so about $11k all up, if horse is under 5yo. First win would need to be in $10k C race in Vic to take prizemoney and bonus over total for $5 k C race in Qld but would still be less then $7800 C race and bonus in Qld.

Second Win in C class in Vic nets prize money only, so min $7k race equals $3990 total. Second win in Qld in a subsequent season in $5k C race nets $2700 prize money plus $7500 bonus for $10200 total. I guess the kicker is some horses if they win their first race early in the season may have won a few more eligibility for the second bonus rolls around and find it very difficult to win that second bonus, but as written previously win late in the season and eligibility rolls around again pretty quickly. Obviously different to you Wayne but anything I get from increased prizemoney is likely to be small amounts, hopefully regularly, and disappear paying the regular bills. But a large bonus is more likely to see me buy a bigger ticket item such as a service fee, yearling or new race bike!

Have to hand it to you QLD imo you have this all over VIC, have one mare just foaled and another with a negative test, will have to think seriously about not covering them in Vic this season and shipping them to Qld to start fresh next.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Whoa, hang on Dot. From the start I was relaying what others had said, the Vic win bonus going totally to the owner when they've purchased. Obviously this is in total contrast to it going wholly to the breeder as a suggestion.
    I agree the Qld scheme is pretty good. However it still focuses on incentivising owners and the flow on is breeding. Would you like me to say, yep no worries, if I was already in Qld I'd be happy with the scheme but wouldn't be if the possible 17500 went wholly to the breeder? I'd agree, if an owner gets 15750 it would be selfish and short sighted to begrudge the breeder 1750.
    I haven't scrutinised as you have, will the number of individual horses that win the bonuses increase compared to the former? Will it be shared around more? Will be interesting to see what the QBred yearlings bring this season. I imagine there will be the same % that will still be running around in $3000 races.

I'm all for democracy, if the two alternatives were put to the people, which way would Vics have gone?

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    No Peter V in sight but what if Vic came up with bonuses on placings, maybe 1st and 2nd? Share it around more, include 3rd. Might that increase field numbers?

For the record, there's been a couple of integrity actions in both states very recently that incentivise me more than win bonuses. You still have to win. And for the record (ii) we took on a filly knowing she was ineligible for her first win bonus, no cream on our cake.

+ Reply to Thread