Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

aussiebreno
    The Everest certainly got a few more of my mates into racing and they were betting at Caulfield on the day the Everest was on when this time 2 yrs ago they wouldnt have bet anywhere. In addition they now bet other weekends on both Syd and Melb when they probably wouldn't have if not for interest gained from things like Everest and Country Championships etc.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    But don’t you think the industry in BOTH states will benefit most from having TWO big meetings on at the same time even if the jockey pool, which is likely to be expanded by internationals is divided? The two big races are age specific so don’t impact on the horse pool for each other though granted the pool for support races may be stretched, but that should provide opportunities in the long run for more horses.

Kev your always on about the gap between races oncourse and what do patrons do inbetween races, well presumably here they watch the races from the other state on the big screens and bet on them. Victoria’s Derby get some international coverage but don’t you think the Golden Eagle will get a whole lot more? With flow on effects for concurrent meetings? More international betting then just “the big one” of the Melbourne Cup means more revenue for the industry.

And that’s not just good for the gallops but harness as well, in NSW at least harness is guaranteed by legislation a fixed percentage of the total turnover pool. Not so cut and dried in Vic, but pretty sure Vic harness also benefits from increased turnover on gallops.

Second year of the Everest and did wagering decline on Vics Melbourne Cup Carnival? No went up 1.5%.

But hey you’d rather not innovate just because a few of the best Australian jockeys may not ride at Flemington!
    I don't think that there shouldn't be another meet and the jockey spread is not really what I am on about - I just fancy Derby Day being Derby Day, Cup day - Cup Day, The Tour de France ..., Wimbledon .....

I am just an old fuddy duddy
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Pre election prizemoney increases confirmed.

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/med...-january-2019/

Whilst prizemoney increases are most welcome I have to say that I am disappointed that exactly zero percent has been allocated to directly defray costs associated with breeding.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Not sure what you mean Kev, I’ve no doubt the organisers have every intention for the fans to get a share of the spoils ( my error earlier) looks like it is split into first, second, and third, do you think they would prefer to alienate fans by seeking not to distribute the fans share? Of course like in any “lottery” only limited participants can win, leaving many others to miss out if that’s what you mean?

Seems a pretty successful “gimmick”, Japan has been racing two “All Stars” races on a very similar public vote for part of the field selection from Japanese horses with the remainder of the spots allocated to foreign horses for around 60 years.
    The Arima Kinen is the race RVs new $5m mile race next year is modelled on. I imagine they would be very happy if they could get results like this!

“The world's biggest race meeting for 2018!!

Arima Kinen meeting at Nakayama today
    100,189 attended
    Betting turnover on race ¥43,664,039,500 (£310m / €345m / US $392m)
    Betting turnover on meeting ¥ 56,146,520,600 (£400 / €444m /US $505m)

Congratulations JRA and all the fans!”

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Due to cut backs by the PMU Victorian trots will no longer be broadcast or bet on in France from 1/1 which can’t be good news.

No idea were our industry goes from here but I’m beginning to think we need Tabcorp to introduce in the run betting. That way the “glorious” uncertainty of pacers pacing and trotters trotting and standing starts and the length of our races become an asset with punters being able to bet multiple times in the one race which you’d think would help counter the apparent done and dusted in 30 odd seconds appeal of dog racing.

That and huge pick six pools!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Due to cut backs by the PMU Victorian trots will no longer be broadcast or bet on in France from 1/1 which can’t be good news.

No idea were our industry goes from here but I’m beginning to think we need Tabcorp to introduce in the run betting. That way the “glorious” uncertainty of pacers pacing and trotters trotting and standing starts and the length of our races become an asset with punters being able to bet multiple times in the one race which you’d think would help counter the apparent done and dusted in 30 odd seconds appeal of dog racing.

That and huge pick six pools!
    That hurts
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    So does our TAB showing more overseas dog races and less trots races.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Our TAB has no interest in any of the codes. If they could get the punters to bet on coin tosses - every 5 secs, they would love it.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Don't know how much France contributed to HRV income but read it says $88 million was wagered last year (international..includes NZ I guess).. nearly 10% of total. Appears the $3m extra State Govt contributed may be swallowed up by loss of France?

Turnover doesn't appear to be a decent guide to how much benefit the industry derives anymore. TAB pays more back to industry than corps (3 times more I believe). Corp turnover up but TAB turnover down means less goes back into industry.

Someone else suggested a new measuring stick (Nick William's from memory). 'Return to industry' rather than (or along with) turnover.

Interestingly I read TAB hold a licence to operate an exchange but have never used it. Maybe too late to now with Betfair well entrenched here. But with the continuing trend away from the TAB (especially pari mutual) to the corporates (which further erodes to return to the industry) something needs to be done?

Harness Racing is too reliant on the TAB nowadays especially with our low 'market share' (12%). I see Ladbrokes, bet365, Betfair, etc advertising up at the dogs and gallops and sponsoring races. See nothing but TAB at trots. Believe not current admins fault as deals done before their time giving TAB exclusive rights.

HRV Annual report shows TAB part of income falling. Way I see that means that if turnover stays the same but move more to corps, every $3m lost from TAB income is replaced by $1m from corps... $2m loss to industry.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Don't know how much France contributed to HRV income but read it says $88 million was wagered last year (international..includes NZ I guess).. nearly 10% of total. Appears the $3m extra State Govt contributed may be swallowed up by loss of France?

Turnover doesn't appear to be a decent guide to how much benefit the industry derives anymore. TAB pays more back to industry than corps (3 times more I believe). Corp turnover up but TAB turnover down means less goes back into industry.

Someone else suggested a new measuring stick (Nick William's from memory). 'Return to industry' rather than (or along with) turnover.

Interestingly I read TAB hold a licence to operate an exchange but have never used it. Maybe too late to now with Betfair well entrenched here. But with the continuing trend away from the TAB (especially pari mutual) to the corporates (which further erodes to return to the industry) something needs to be done?

Harness Racing is too reliant on the TAB nowadays especially with our low 'market share' (12%). I see Ladbrokes, bet365, Betfair, etc advertising up at the dogs and gallops and sponsoring races. See nothing but TAB at trots. Believe not current admins fault as deals done before their time giving TAB exclusive rights.

HRV Annual report shows TAB part of income falling. Way I see that means that if turnover stays the same but move more to corps, every $3m lost from TAB income is replaced by $1m from corps... $2m loss to industry.
    Yep big problem, good post Paul.
    Why are TAB and Corporates turnover fee only at 3% and 1% but posting insanely big profits while the ones producing the product are dying? A higher fee needs to be charged for use of the product. Government is letting down these industries with the race field legislation. While the corporates lowly 1% gets punters better odds so one could argue its good for punters, there also needs to be some legislation that markets must be framed to a certain % and any higher attracts a large fine so as to protect the better odds. Corporates will still turn a tidy profit, but more importantly still have a product in 50-100 years.
    These industries that give so many low skilled workers jobs won't exist without a change to the distribution mix on turnover. With technology coming into play and replacing so many low skilled jobs our industry will be one of the least affected for low skilled workers. That is probably the political angle the powers that be need to take to governments so that we still have a sport in 50years time.

+ Reply to Thread