Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Amazing Dot
    When ownership syndication is touted as a solution to our woes
    Why would you buy a share in a harness horse instead of a galloper?
    Sure the share in the galloper would be much smaller but the prizes are so much more
    In comparison Harness is like a Lotto draw without a Division 1 prize

You would have to love our code or the hospitality - which is why I think these are 2 things we have to sell to the public (and deliver)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Believe it or not Kev there are opportunities in our code that don’t exist in TB racing but the opportunity to win Lotto style returns on a small investment is certainly not one of them!

Don’t think this one is too likely to filter down to small share syndicate holders but another $2m on offer in gallops bonuses.

https://www.thevalley.com.au/news/20...national-bonus

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    $24 million for SA racing in the upcoming budget announced, for infrastructure apparently. No word on distribution between codes

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I received an email about this and could have put it in the 'Goodnight Harness Racing SA' thread or the 2yo thread but I thought it belonged here as it is simply Bad for SA harness racing

Last night Emma Stewart won SAs $100k Allwood Gp1 for 2yo's at $1.10 and 2nd and 3rd also went to Vic based horses - their take is 82.5% of the stakes plus all three of the free services. How can anyone think this is a good thing for SA racing. These horses were just shipped over for the heats and are therefore contributing very little to SA harness racing economy.

I think SA shouldn't worry about having a Gp1 but rather think of how they can help the locals survive. I think it would be far better for SA if all of a horses SA starts earnt points towards making the final. A completely different approach would be to forget the heats and have two $60k races - one for horses that have had a minimum three SA starts for a local trainer and one Open to all 2yo's

ps Emma obviously used a 3 horse float to go over, won a $7k and $4k races as well at money back
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I received an email about this and could have put it in the 'Goodnight Harness Racing SA' thread or the 2yo thread but I thought it belonged here as it is simply Bad for SA harness racing

Last night Emma Stewart won SAs $100k Allwood Gp1 for 2yo's at $1.10 and 2nd and 3rd also went to Vic based horses - their take is 82.5% of the stakes plus all three of the free services. How can anyone think this is a good thing for SA racing. These horses were just shipped over for the heats and are therefore contributing very little to SA harness racing economy.

I think SA shouldn't worry about having a Gp1 but rather think of how they can help the locals survive. I think it would be far better for SA if all of a horses SA starts earnt points towards making the final. A completely different approach would be to forget the heats and have two $60k races - one for horses that have had a minimum three SA starts for a local trainer and one Open to all 2yo's

ps Emma obviously used a 3 horse float to go over, won a $7k and $4k races as well at money back
    I can accept your comments re SA Harness Racing Kev , but the Allwood Gr1 race is exclusively for yearlings purchased at the 2018 SA Yearling Sale.Everyone has the opportunity to purchase a yearling and therefore contest the race if conditions are met. ( similar in context to the APG Sale and race ) The winner was a $25,000 purchase from that sale and was given to Emma Stewart to train.
    Race conditions are set at the time of the sale.
    As for the other starters from that stable: when travelling horses ( particularly 2 year olds ) it’s always best practice to take a travelling companion with them .

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You don't need to defend the Stewart stable Anne - they have done what you would expect a smart stable to do. Like my emailer, I just think SA needs to think of ways to keep some money/free services in SA
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I don’t think anyone can be critical of the cross border participants, theyve just done what I think most people would expect them to, as they did with the Southern Cross races, and a number of the other higher value races in SA. Whilst some border hopping is good for increasing interest and turnover (if they don’t start at money back!) in SA seeing large amounts of prizemoney regardless if it is from distribution or participant contributions or sponsorship leaving the state is not good. The challenge for SA administrators is designing programming and race conditions and prizemoney distribution that increase benefits to the local participants though preferably not discouraging border hoppers altogether.

It’s not quite true Anne that anyone can purchase a horse and compete, like the APG their are non sale entries which are not available to purchase to anyone, which in both instances not everyone considers that fair. Similarly whilst price is not a direct correlation to prospects of success the spread of quality of yearlings and price at both sales is such that not everyone can buy a yearling with similar prospects of success. Or place their yearling with the country’s statistically most successful stable

Like the Pacing Gold if the majority of participants don’t feel they have a reasonable chance of success in the race then they will certainly not continue to pay fees to participate and perhaps be discouraged from purchasing a yearling altogether. And that’s not just a problem in the end for the sales races but the industry altogether.
    Last edited by Dot; 06-09-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-happy-ending/

Big Bets story from this week indicates how the tote turnover cannot be used as a guide to turnover

The big bet of the week was $30k on R9 on Sunday night at Shep June 9

The Vic TAB only held $6k in the win pool
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    That story claims it was bet on the TAB Kevin, I don't think the tote pools include fixed odds pools. Does anyone know if they do ?
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I should have read the title Rick
    You would have to assume that tote pools do not include fixed
    It is somewhat hard to believe that they would take a $30k bet on Sunday night trots at Shep
    Maybe they are gutsier than we think - $1.65 would seem to be pretty short for a 14 start 3yo maiden however

Is HRV still be stitched up every time someone bets Fixed rather than tote?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread