Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    28 horses, ALL fillies and mares, exported to China in the past month according to the Exported Horses report from the HRNZ website.

It is true, why else would they be air- freighting standardbred mares into China? And broodmares, when there is no racing?
    Sorry, I was too slow and didn't see you two commenting this (I made a post elsewhere). It is very concerning - I was hoping to buy one of the horses on the export list. Stupid me, didn't think they'd be interested in selling her so put my thoughts aside until tonight. Surely they wouldn't just be giving these broodmares away? How would it be worth it for China, they'd have horses there already no?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Katie, we are only 2nd hand reporting what Peter Profit has been writing
    There is no suggestion that the horses are being given away as the Rejuvenating Cream is VERY expensive and PP is suggesting that one placenta can be worth millions as the creams contain a miniscule amount
    PP even suggested that one sire/stud farm was taking advantage of the demand for impregnated mares
    I think there was also a suggestion that Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds were preferred for some reason
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Age has a shocking leading story today that the 3M company has contaminated all of our bloodstreams with forever chemicals
    Why I include it here, is the mention of the chemist who discovered the extent of the contamination (back in the 1990's!)

Overwhelmed by his workload, Bacon outsourced some sampling to Dr Jack Henion at New York’s Cornell University, nicknamed by those acquainted with the case as “Horse Track Jack”.

“Jack was from Cornell but he ran a private little side business where he analysed racehorse blood serum in New York state for dopers and cheaters; is that fair to say?” Douglas asked Bacon during his deposition.

“That was his claim to fame,” Bacon said.

Sometimes I feel dirty for loving horse racing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We are 10 months into the season = to 83.3% over

I think most would consider Aaron Dunn a fairly high achieving trainer (and owner/driver)
    How many of his horses do you think have won $100k this season?
    How many of his horses do you think have won $50k this season?
    How many of his horses do you think have won $20k this season?
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This post HAS TO BE READ AFTER THE ABOVE POST as it is the answers to the above post

DON'T LOOK DOWN YET

DON'T LOOK DOWN YET

DON'T LOOK DOWN YET

The answers are one, one and just the above two
    Yes, Aaron's stable have only had two horses earn over twenty thousand this season so far

As far as indicators of how our industry is going - this is bad
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Horses 3-10 of his on $$ this year have only had 76 starts and won $100k between them. 5 of those 8 have had 10 or less starts.

Most meeting have around 80 starters and $60k prizemoney so his stats actually read good in that sense. There would have to be plenty worse off trainers to get the point about prizemoney across.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You don't get it Brendan - I chose him because Everybody knows that there are Mostly worse. (I said he would be considered a fairly high achiever)

Aaron is not only the trainer/driver/owner of his horses (so it all goes into his coffers), he is a successful businessman so he can afford harness to be non-profitable

You need to tone down the warrior - stop thinking you have to rebut what others write

If a trainer is not on the National Top 20 list, they are probably struggling to justify their training fees based on owner returns only - I say only because not everybody expects ownership to be a 'free' interest/hobby
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You don't get it Brendan - I chose him because Everybody knows that there are Mostly worse. (I said he would be considered a fairly high achiever)

Aaron is not only the trainer/driver/owner of his horses (so it all goes into his coffers), he is a successful businessman so he can afford harness to be non-profitable

You need to tone down the warrior - stop thinking you have to rebut what others write

If a trainer is not on the National Top 20 list, they are probably struggling to justify their training fees based on owner returns only - I say only because not everybody expects ownership to be a 'free' interest/hobby
    I just don't think it is in anyway noteworthy. Just the 76 starts between those 8 horses is <10 starts each. It doesn't matter how good you are if you have bugger all starters. If you dig deeper a couple of the better horses have only had very limited starts so no chance of cracking $20K. Its hardly surprising if you have bugger all starters you have bugger all prizemoney. He's had 5 horses have over 10 starts, 2 of those cracked the $20K and one is awfully close.

I let most posts go through to the keeper but only rebut when I see appropriate. If you can criticise Maryborough race videos, Trotsvision audio, Melton scheduling just in the past 3 days etc I think you can take some rebuttals!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Fair enough
    Do you think Mary, TrotsV and Scheduling all deserve a free pass?
    I didn't put a lot of work into researching the Dunn example (this is only a forum after all) but I think the point I am making - that it is a bad industry to try and earn a living from, is still clear

Another example. Adam Hamilton's latest article is about how Wave and Ravishing are going to clash in a $40k race. To attract a couple of top horses in the gallops you would at least need a 2 in front of that sum. Watching the $5m Cox Plate on Saturday, you could not help but notice Adam front and centre in the winner's stall - I wonder how he rationalizes the difference in the codes

What I would really like is for more people to post (esp initiate topics) I feel the forum is too reliant on me (yourself and a couple of others sometimes) to keep it ticking over.
    If a forum does not have something new on it pretty much daily - it will die. It can become a chore for me sometimes - harness is not even my number 1 hobby
    If I did not post for a week or two, I think this forum would be dead. Sometimes I am scratching to post something so you can see how rebuttals might get on my goat

For my first interest, I can go to one forum and find 20 new posts every day for me to read and enjoy
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    - Maryborough you would think by now would have been sorted
    - Trotsvision not great with their hiccups sometimes but I can understand occasional wtf moments given low budget production
    - The scheduling Sat night was great. If that suits TAB turnover and personally/selfihsly it also suits me more to have the better races at that time.

Appreciate you keep the forum ticking. Tbh I use forum/you as my important news filter knowing I dont need to spend 15mins trawling harness.org every day because if something important comes up you would have posted about it!

I think the need to show real names, twitter and facebok have worked against this forums activity levels.

+ Reply to Thread