Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charged Maryborough Pres and Sec make accusations against HRV CEO

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Just broken by Stephen Drill in the Herald Sun:

Maryborough Harness Racing Club officials escape sanctions over secret cash

MARYBOROUGH Harness Racing Club officials Les Chapman and Peter Egan have escaped further sanctions for keeping almost $1 million in a secret account.

A Harness Racing Victoria integrity council hearing recommended to clear the pair this week.

Mr Egan, the club’s president, and Mr Chapman, the secretary, had failed to declare a bank account to Harness Racing Victoria for almost 30 years.

Harness Racing Victoria chair Dale Monteith said he would review the independent panel’s recommendation.

“Like any sporting organisation, we don’t believe it is acceptable for any administrator to deliberately falsify accounts and hide revenue to conceal an organisation’s true financial position. It is not acceptable in any form of business,” Mr Monteith said.

“The community has the right to expect the highest level of integrity from sporting administrators and for them to uphold the integrity of the sport they represent.”

Mr Chapman told the Herald Sun in August that the club was being penalised for protecting its members.

“The money was clean and it is owned by the Maryborough Harness Racing Club,” he said at the time.

“It’s very disappointing the board of Harness Racing Victoria has gone down this road.”

Each to there own opinion, but I see this as a positive story. What HRV would do with that money is anybody's guess. I am afraid, though, payback will come somewhere down the track. The Redwood meeting being moved to Melton, perhaps?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No mention of the alleged offers from the CEO?
    As the opening post in this thread states/quotes - the club/matter was dealt with in Feb 2016
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A couple of people have suggested to me that I have been a bit harsh in respect to our CEO in earlier posts and that he was only trying to offer the Maryborough officials a 'quiet' way out and I take it onboard that some conversations should have been considered private by the Maryborough officials rather than quotes for the newspapers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Kev, I assume that "quiet" way out included handing over the 50 grand for the "governance training". Nothing to see here, move along!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Kev, I assume that "quiet" way out included handing over the 50 grand for the "governance training". Nothing to see here, move along!
    Just to clarify, going on the dates included in post #1, what looks like a HRV 50 grand fine would have had nought to do with the current CEO?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    From that post Wayne it appears that the previous administration and CEO levied a $50,000 penalty on Maryborough as a result of their investigation, the article does not indicate if Maryborough have paid that penalty. The press article also includes an allegation of the current CEO asking Maryborough to provide $150,000 to other clubs in addition to the two officials resigning to avoid an investigation.
    Last edited by Dot; 10-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I did read that Dot. Never a good thing to comment on allegations but interesting that both the initial fine and alleged figure were both to go to the other country clubs, not directly to HRV.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    As Richard Nixon would attest, it is the cover-up and not the crime that becomes the real story.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    In the example of Watergate, I wouldn't disagree. But haven't read any Walkley material here.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Got to wonder if the "integrity council" investigated the allegations against the HRV board and the boards role in this case ? There is no mention of that. If the integrity council doesn't police stewards and HRV board members what use is it ?
    Don't die wondering !

+ Reply to Thread