+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the season: 2018/2019 foals

Junior Member Foal TeeGeeEmm will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Trent Medcraft
    Surprised to hear Racing Hill only Served 41 Mares,
    I also have 3yo RWJ and pretty happy with her,
    I think the expectation around RWJ was too high as he was always going to be compared to BD.
    I don't think his stats are that bad. (happy to be proven wrong)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Those foals are amazing. Nice and chunky. I love black horses and she is black as anything!

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    My word they are well bred. Where did you acquire the Dancing with Daisy one from Anne? I'd love to buy an American bred one

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Nice foals Ann, that first one is certainly a good doer!

Yes Trent I think if you leave comparisons with BD out of it RWJ has done a pretty fair job at stud. He got Racing Hill in his first crop who was a top quality stakes colt along with Betting Line and Control The Moment in their 3yo season but it's fair to say he could do with another stand out in NA now. He has produced some handy ones though in the sires stakes program and whilst he did cover some of the same mares BD did earlier the results haven't been as good but the RWJs have been racing in the era of SBSW whilst the earlier BDs were not. That said an Art Major 3yo and BD 2yo this year have put a bit of a dent in the American breeding philosophy of quickly moving on to younger sires by winning majors against the SBSWs and Capt Ts.

RWJs fertility issues has meant he only has small numbers of foals downunder which is a limiting factor but I'm sure everyone would be happy with an Ignatius in their stable and RWJ has a few other group winners in the ranks.

Maybe Katie it's our obsession with BD rather then RWJ that caused the disappointing support for Racing Hill or, not that it should be the only thing considered, that Racing Hill does not have a super fast mark next to his name. Racing Hills dam was an unraced mare and I think his second dam was only modestly performed on the track as well, maybe that was a factor, if it was then the response to Lazarus in time should be interesting, particularly I think if Lazarus doesn't end up with a very fast mark in the US. ( and that's not intended to detract from his champions status on the track here, just that it opens up comparisons that wouldn't have applied if he'd not gone to the U.S.) Whatever the reason Trent I don't think you've got anything to worry about and have a lovely foal and maybe a breeder or two just might be feeling they missed out.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place

Spurrs Stud

My 3 day old filly by Bonavista Bay x Rose Boggy Creek.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good luck Kevin, I hope Bonavista makes a stallion for you
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Nice foal! It'll be interesting to see how Bonavista does as a sire. Some pretty good ones back through his line.

Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Thanks Kev, He's quite the magnificent individual and he hasn't really been given a chance yet. So he ticked a lot of boxes for me and I wanted to give him a go, I will post some more foal pics as they come along..I didnt get him till later in the season last year. Please check out a little vid of him on my facebook page " Spurrs Stud".

Cheers

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good vids Kevin. Like you said he has not really been given a chance
    It will be most interesting to see how the eight 2016-17 foals go, there were a couple of useful mares among them and it would be nice if he got a couple of early winners in 2019. I am guessing they are from his Warwick Stud days
    How many foals do you expect from last season's 12 services to keep Rose's filly company?

Even though this is an old article (pre Warwick Stud) it is a good read for those who do not know Bonavista Bay

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Bona...etires-to-stud
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Thanks Kev, Yea he's like the local young lads around here..quite the gentleman...till the females turn up..and then all hell breaks loose!!! Unfortunately there will only be 5 or 6 total(all going well)..a couple of the mares I dont think are able to get in foal and the one mare that was tested positive lost it along the way..with the owner bringing her back for a free return. Yes some early winners can really help..so I live in hope!!..He really is impressive on many levels..so he has got a chance..but the small numbers will make it tough. Not sure how many he will get this season(mares) but it will be a battle for numbers again..anyway here's hoping!!...Sorry I don't mean to hijack the foal photos but I thought I would put in a relaxed pic of Bonavista Bay..
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Big K; 10-03-2018 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread