Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HRV 2018 Annual Report

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

HRV 2018 Annual Report

I received this summary from a reader:

They made a profit which is good but something is a bit alarming about it. The TAB is 50% of their income and it dropped. Even more alarming from my rough calcs is that the TAB tip in 3+ times more than Corporates do on the same turnover. So for every $1 bet with the TAB HRV need $3.50 bet with Corporates to get the same return.

Another 10% movement away from TAB to the Corporates would mean a net $7m loss to HRV. They paid out about $40m in prizemoney and made a $500k profit. They have already cut back costs to the bare minimum so that is not going to be able to help much in the future. We still owe millions plus interest on Melton. Prize-money is more likely to be going down than up.

The land owned at Melton may provide a one off injection if sold but its an old tip and I believe HRV are obligated to develop it. Where will that money come from?

By my calculations, if there were no Corporates and people punted the same amount on the TAB, it would mean $30m extra for HRV. If there were only Corporates and no TAB it would mean $27 m less. That is a $57m swing! Corporates are killing the game and should be paying lots more.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I stopped using corporates years ago for this reason.
    Everybody involved in Harness racing should only bet with the TAB.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I think you'll find that's about the gist of it Kev. There's no guarantee of course the punters would bet as much on the TAB if there were no corporates but it's highly likely, punters being punters that theyd bet more then they do now, but punters favour the corporates because the lesser returns to racing means a higher return to the punter. And they favour fixed odds with the TAB which does us no favours either.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Off on a tangent but on the Corporates - I find it a worry that they can bet on things where the outcome has already been decided/is known (eg Bachelorette)
    It does not seem ethical
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Off on a tangent but on the Corporates - I find it a worry that they can bet on things where the outcome has already been decided/is known (eg Bachelorette)
    It does not seem ethical
    They're still taking bets on Chicago Bull this week as well

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post

Kev, Protest Payouts - they probably add to turnover but ethical?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It just seems crazy - how do you frame a market fairly when you know the result - you have to be attempting to manipulate the public
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    He didn't get a rose Brendan
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread